DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Someone explain this to me... I have EPIX already but on my account when I look at my programming it isn't checked which is $7 yet I have Blockbuster @home checked for $10/month but I don't need or want it. So if I uncheck blockbuster @home that won't cause it for some odd stupid reason to dump the EPIX will it??

If you uncheck BB@Home it will dump Epix, because Epix is on BB@Home.

But you can quit BB@Home and just add the Epix addon for $7 then.

Are you talking about the channel not being on or in your programming? If it is on, it will not show up under your programming. It will on your actual bill.
No I meant the offer didn't even show up on the "my offers" section on my account for me to even activate. I Pm'd Zach from DIRT and he told it won't show up until tomorrow due to some sort of delay in their systems.

No I meant the offer didn't even show up on the "my offers" section on my account for me to even activate. I Pm'd Zach from DIRT and he told it won't show up until tomorrow due to some sort of delay in their systems.

The increase sure didn't have any delays.:rolleyes: I keep harping on it but.....I sincerely wish they would get the website and automated system fixed!

Someone explain this to me... I have EPIX already but on my account when I look at my programming it isn't checked which is $7 yet I have Blockbuster @home checked for $10/month but I don't need or want it. So if I uncheck blockbuster @home that won't cause it for some odd stupid reason to dump the EPIX will it??

I believe it will. You will save $3/mo if you drop BB@home for Epix.

If you uncheck BB@Home it will dump Epix, because Epix is on BB@Home.

But you can quit BB@Home and just add the Epix addon for $7 then.

Incase you do not realize that BB@H also offer additional channels you would also lose these channels

MavTV
AXS(?)
Velocity
UniversalHD
Criminal/Investigation
Paladia
Centric
Logo
MoviePlex
IndiePlex
RetroPlex
HDnet Movies?
MGM
Sony Movie Channel
Pixal

? = I'm not sure after dish moved the channels around after we lost AMC.

Last edited:
MavTV (Full of Commercials)
AXS(?) (Full of Commercials)
Velocity (Full of Commercials)
UniversalHD (Full of Commercials)
Criminal/Investigation (Full of Commercials)
Paladia (Full of Commercials)
Centric (Full of Commercials)
Logo (Full of Commercials)
MoviePlex (No Commercials)
IndiePlex (No Commercials)
RetroPlex (No Commercials)
HDnet Movies? (No Commercials)
MGM (Full of Commercials)
Sony Movie Channel (No Commercials)
Pixal (No Commercials)

It may be worth it for those six ad free channels as for the other ones who cares they have ads so I won't watch them.

It may be worth it for those six ad free channels as for the other ones who cares they have ads so I won't watch them.

I agree, I just wanted the person who was removing the service to make sure he knew that he was going to lose channels and just not "the disc" by removing BB@H. I made the decision to knock it out and just keep EPIX because I don't watch any of the other channels and in the end saves $36/year. I might sound cheap but for me I can use the $36 and get a form of entertainment that I would use (video game) or save it. Honestly at the end of the day I should just drop EPIX because I get that with NetFlix/Amazon Prime Instant Video. The movies are just on a 90 day delay from the original airing on EPIX.

Incase you do not realize that BB@H also offer additional channels you would also lose these channels

MavTV
AXS(?)
Velocity
UniversalHD
Criminal/Investigation
Paladia
Centric
Logo
MoviePlex
IndiePlex
RetroPlex
HDnet Movies?
MGM
Sony Movie Channel
Pixal

? = I'm not sure after dish moved the channels around after we lost AMC.

yep lost them all going to change it back the way it was.... but hey before I do that to change it right back will that put EPIX back as well without me checking that? or do I need to call and raise hell to get it back the way it was?

yep lost them all going to change it back the way it was.... but hey before I do that to change it right back will that put EPIX back as well without me checking that? or do I need to call and raise hell to get it back the way it was?

Yeah EPIX should be unchecked and BB@H should be checked. You are also probably going to be charged a $5 programming fee change. You can try to contact someone from dish, (DIRT here on the forums) and they might waive the fee since you didn't know.

I believe that Sony Movie Channel (unfortunately) now has commercials although I think the movies are still uncut. Looks like the channel pulled an IFC...

I believe that Sony Movie Channel (unfortunately) now has commercials although I think the movies are still uncut. Looks like the channel pulled an IFC...

This is what ticks me off the most as many channels that you paid for use to be ad free but then they start showing ads. I think it is pathetic because YOU PAY FOR THESE CHANNELS so they SHOULD HAVE NO ADS. If it is a free OTA channel/sub channel then I understand the ads. This is why I watch more Netflix then actually satellite TV which I DVR programs more.

Last edited:
That's why I hate Nickelodeon... my wife watch Friends, and the episodes are 35 or 40 minutes long because of the commercials!!!
And on top of that, they cut the episodes, they don't show them complete.

That's why I hate Nickelodeon... my wife watch Friends, and the episodes are 35 or 40 minutes long because of the commercials!!!
And on top of that, they cut the episodes, they don't show them complete.

Tell me about it. You pay for these ripoff channels and they show more ads on them that when the shows were on OTA.
I would drop satellite TV completely and just do OTA and Netflix but I live at home and everyone else watches satellite TV so I only pay part of the bill.

With the increase coming do you guys think The Fox Movie channel will ever be in HD? I was so disappointed that UniversalHD plays cut movies. That's sad. If The Sony Movie channel has commercials now I think I'll cancel the blockbuster package.

Wow.... satellite and cable TV are getting way too rich for me.... :(

After looking at what programming I watch, I initially downgraded from the Top 200 package to the Welcome Pack about seven months ago. Then, I discovered I really wasn't watching much more besides my local stations and The Daily Show (ok, when I had the Top 200 I watched more, but what I watched was mostly junk). Missed the HD versions of the cable networks, but it was a lot cheaper.

So, because I have a great view to Mt. Wilson in Los Angeles, I put up an off-the-air antenna and bought a used Tivo Premiere with Lifetime service, and a Roku four months ago. Also already had an Apple TV laying around.

Then, I started using the Tivo, Apple TV and Roku as my primary methods for watching TV. Yeah, I had the Dish DVR as a backup for any programming I might not be able to get through one of the above devices... but in FOUR MONTHS, I never had to turn the Dish receiver on.

So today, thanks to the $5 price increase for the Welcome Pack, I called Dish and disconnected my Dish service. My new monthly bill for TV? $7.99 for Hulu Plus (mostly to watch The Daily Show and Colbert Report on the Roku). And since Charter includes Epix Online for free with their 30mb internet service package (which is only $29.99 a month for the first year, and then $44 after that) I can watch Epix via the Roku also. I also get espn3 included with the cablemodem service for free.

Besides that, I'll have to pay $15 or so one-time for a season pass of Dr. Who when it comes back in April.

Darn lot cheaper than paying for Dish when I consider that I really don't watch much in the way of sports outside of the occasional Dodger game (and I can definitely go to a few more games at the stadium with the money I'll save). And really, almost anything else I would care to watch will be available from the iPad app for History Channel, or on the Roku, or on Apple TV, etc. Even if I spend $5 a month on iTunes purchases (which I haven't so far), I'll be way ahead of the game.....

Will still hang out here to see what's going on with Dish, but not as an active subscriber....

Robert

and gets cranky if you do not drive to his known routes he recognize and starts yelling YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY.
LOL, my dad does that too. He always takes a shortcut, that technically is a shorter distance, but I have verified it takes longer. Doesn't matter to him though, and he never fails to bring it up when I don't take his shortcut. :)

Ouch...... A $16 increase before taxes in my case for my AEP, BB@H and a stink'n 622......... I've always had the protection plan and would continue it but not so sure now. As for BB@H, yeah same price but if it wasn't for Velocity and HDNet Movies I would kick that package to the curb.

Special offers - to help cushion the price increase shock - are now available. When I logged into my account this morning, a window immediately popped up showing the offers that were eluded to in the mailing many of us received this week. If you ignore the "pop-up" window, the offers are still under "My offers" until March 17. My offers are Cinemax, Encore, HBO, Outdoor Sports, Showtime, Starz. I can select any or all, for half off for 6 months. It would be nice if they would offer a $5 credit for the next 6 months as an option to those extra channels.

Hopper install questions

Youtube App?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)