DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

When Dish did this stunt 2 years ago and "gave" us Starz for compensation I didn't like it. But the end for me were how almost all the channels had devolved down to staged reality TV and opinion passed off as news. So I canceled my 13 year old account with Dish. It was replaced with an OTA (30 channels where I live) + a couple of Rokus for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle, BBC, etc. My $114/month bill with Dish was replaced with a $7.99/month subscription to Netflix.

That was 11 months ago, I absolutely have not missed it, and there is a whole lot more to watch now. Broadband Internet & digital OTA has changed everything with TV so consider the alternatives.

Is it possible to get just locals through dish and ditch everything else?

I signed up with dish when I got tired of fighting with flakey OTA TV reception. At that time, 3 years ago, we were a two income household. Now my wife is a stay at home mom and I'm working like a dog between school and work. Neither of us watch much TV. Netflix streaming and locals would be sufficient for us.

I've been thinking about it for a while, but the $10 increase on my 120+ package might be enough to make me scale back. TV just isn't that is important right now.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

While standalone locals are no longer offered through Dish, there is the Welcome Pack (currently $14.99; soon to be $19.99).
FMI: http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/welcome/

All well and good. But Netflix can't deliver it "first" for prime time and most cable networks. Amazon get's closer to that. Aside from that, after last week's tragedy, would I ever not want to access CNN, MSNBC, etc when I need to? NO. You're right, it's a trade off...I'd rather have EVERYTHING, AS/When it's happening/or want it...and to a much lesser degree, be able to surf through everything I PROBABLY won't want to watch...but just might.

why do they raise prices after making all of that money on the hopper system it looks like it would go down I just know one thing after our two years is up I am gone for good and will never look back i'll deal with my antenna and after the first year im lowering my package I haven't had anything but trouble since i've been with them directv wasn't this bad I have to call every month to get my bill straightened out because its a different price every month i've figured it out the hopper deal was to reel you in for a two year contract so they could raise prices well guess what there are people that will refuse to pay and there's nothing they can do it will just hurt your credit but most people have bad or no credit anyway we pay 50.00 a month and don't get nothing and thats ridiculous for tv we should get everything

Last edited:
why do they raise prices after making all of that money on the hopper system it looks like it would go down I just know one thing after our two years is up I am gone for good and will never look back i'll deal with my antenna and after the first year im lowering my package I haven't had anything but trouble since i've been with them directv wasn't this bad I have to call every month to get my bill straightened out because its a different price every month i've figured it out the hopper deal was to reel you in for a two year contract so they could raise prices well guess what there are people that will refuse to pay and there's nothing they can do it will just hurt your credit but most people have bad or no credit anyway we pay 50.00 a month and don't get nothing and thats ridiculous for tv we should get everything

Punctuation is your friend.....

Oh. WOW!

For most of the packages it works out to $60 ($72 if you have a 722)/year increase. At least with Dish you have the option of dropping down to a lower package. With a cable company you essentially just have to drop service.

Looks like I'll be switching to U-verse. No way I'm paying $127/month just for TV alone when I can a more valued deal with a U-verse triple play.
EDIT: I see it looks like I would get a $10/month credit for 18 months to help deal with the cost, but even so, I don't think it'll be enough for me to stay with Dish. I'll have to see if U-verse increases their prices before I decide to do anything. I'm honestly not surprised that this is happening. I'd figure AEP customers would have to pay more to help "subsidize" the cost of the channels for the rest of the subscriber base.

Last edited:
You might want to read up here about what people think of Uverse and how many switched back.

You might want to read up here about what people think of Uverse and how many switched back.

First hand (maybe 2nd hand) experience with Uverse at my Daughter's house in Ct... Wow - and in the most bad way possible..... PQ noticeably worse than Dish, channels freeze for a few seconds relatively often.(not everyday) She has had them out to see if it's her wiring or box, but apparently not. The one thing it does have over other Cable is it does cost less. But with Dish you will have to show me that I can't save more by staying with Dish, having my own VOIP service, and using a Cable company for internet, especially one like Charter that will give discounts if you call and ask.....even with the upcoming increase in price. Uverse isn't even on my list of possible carriers I would use. And I am not totally biased, Fios in Florida would be a true good alternative though costly, if I did not want Satellite, because Direct TV is my second choice.

Last edited:
The prices will continue to go up as long as the subscriber base remains. The satellite and cable companies want an increase in revenue in addition to what the programmers want so that leads to even higher price increases. Some of them are hardware price increases along with higher DVR fees and so forth.

this is great. First TWC adds a $5 modem fee, then sprint adds $10 smart-phone fee, now dish. paying more, but everything stays the same. holy sh!t.

this is great. First TWC adds a $5 modem fee, then sprint adds $10 smart-phone fee, now dish. paying more, but everything stays the same. holy sh!t.
Staying the same? I gained channels in my package over the year.
Looks like I'll be switching to U-verse. No way I'm paying $127/month just for TV alone when I can a more valued deal with a U-verse triple play.
EDIT: I see it looks like I would get a $10/month credit for 18 months to help deal with the cost, but even so, I don't think it'll be enough for me to stay with Dish. I'll have to see if U-verse increases their prices before I decide to do anything. I'm honestly not surprised that this is happening. I'd figure AEP customers would have to pay more to help "subsidize" the cost of the channels for the rest of the subscriber base.
I researched Uverse as I usually check out my options from time to time. Uverse seemed to be insanely expensive to get HD.\
For most of the packages it works out to $60 ($72 if you have a 722)/year increase. At least with Dish you have the option of dropping down to a lower package. With a cable company you essentially just have to drop service.
Which is why I still have Sat service at all. If it weren't for Latino Dos, I don't think I'd have pay TV anymore. Dish gives the consumer more less expensive options, and Latino Dos is a great value. I ponder if people will start seeing whether they really need as many receivers as they have.

That should make things interesting as monthly cable boxes seem to have a hefty monthly fee; I think some cable companies even charge for the first box. Cable around here is pricey even with free additional outlets (or at least I think that is how they word it....basically having more than 1 TV with cable).

My local cable company Suddenlink did this a year ago. The boxes are more bare bones than the bare bones SD set top that they offer. Basically it was a black box about the size of a "DTV-Pal" with a remote. No fancy options just a black box, remote, and EPG guide. They did all they could to keep the price of the unit to a bare minimum. I think these units lack VOD features but I am not 100% sure. Also I don't think there was a monthly fee for these boxes but on the local channels the cable company will run commercials asking people to please return the units if they no longer need them.

So again I have been with Dish for 2 months. I have the top 200 pack. If I switch now to AEP will I get just a $10 protection credit or $15 along with the promo pricing? I am so confused. I was wanting to go with AEP anyway and now I guess I should do it while I get the promo pricing too. By the way I also have the $10 HD for life.

The way I see it is if I went with AEP now I would get it for the price it is now through my first year? If I'm wrong please let me know.

I think price increases for satellite TV or cable is a bunch of bull. I don't see how you have to downgrade your package, still pay more, get less channels and 99% of them have a butt load of commercials when you can get a free OTA antenna and just use a streaming service. That is insane $15 increase for AEP. Except for the premiums 99% of the other channels are just commercials, cut credits and banners during the shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts