DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

That's what it says on the paperwork Scott had posted as well.

And indeed that is where it came from. But many people have read that "paperwork" differently. I am not sure I could evn count the numner of interpretations that have appeared. I just excerpted the language I think most accurately describes the policy. But I am sure many think both you and I are incorrect.

wait for your bill to arrive with the adjustments to know what credits applies or not, that way no one needs to be subject to anyone's interpretations

Last edited:
It may well come down to that but I was hoping that DISH would clarify it before they actually sent out bills.

First, because it could be too late depending on how you are reading the information. Second, that's what we do here - speculate.... :)

maybe the'll send a notice to all the customers showing the new rates and credits applied to the specific customer account before sending the bill. maybe before the 17? another speculation

Hopefully they redo the packages, the value doesn't increase with the same old ones. Even though I just cancelled today, I'd be happy to come back in the future.

maybe the'll send a notice to all the customers showing the new rates and credits applied to the specific customer account before sending the bill. maybe before the 17? another speculation

That would be great. I don'tt hink I have ever received anything like that in all my years with DISH. Maybe it is too good of an idea to implement.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder about all the benefits of Dish when I pay nearly $150 a month in my bill. I have everything, all four movie channels plus networks. Is that pretty much what everyone else is paying, or do I need to figure out if I am being overcharged?

I just dropped down from the 250 package to 200. It isn't purely a matter of money (I could swing the extra amount if I got value for it), it was that the price hike made me actually look carefully at what I was paying for and I realized I was only watching one channel in 250 that wasn't available at the 200 level.

The other thing is, you can't hike someone's cost for a product by double digit percentages and not give them an improved product for it. (Well you can, but you're going to lose some business that way.)

I will add that I made the change online through the Dish website and it was effortless. Just a couple of clicks, and the package was changed right away.

Overall I'm happy with Dish, but not happy paying for so many channels I'll never watch.

So here's the breakdown of my bill and some of it doesn't make sense. I have no idea why I am paying $10 a month for Blockbuster at home when I never even subscribed to it. Looks like it was just added and it makes me wonder how many months it's been on there that I was paying for a service I never asked for. Superstations are still broken out separately? And my DVR cost $17 a month which doesn't seem to make sense... thought the DVR was less than $10. Upgrading to a Hopper and two Joeys today, so it should drop that $17 fee right off, correct?

Would be great if the DIRT folks could look at this and figure out how I can drop some things.

Jan 07 - Feb 06 Monthly Charges

America's Everything Pak 104.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
5 Superstations 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
$144.99
Jan 07 - Feb 06 Monthly Savings
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
$0.00
Dec 22 State/local Tax (sales) 5.40
Bill Period 01/07/13 - 02/06/13 $150.39

So here's the breakdown of my bill and some of it doesn't make sense. I have no idea why I am paying $10 a month for Blockbuster at home when I never even subscribed to it. Looks like it was just added and it makes me wonder how many months it's been on there that I was paying for a service I never asked for. Superstations are still broken out separately? And my DVR cost $17 a month which doesn't seem to make sense... thought the DVR was less than $10. Upgrading to a Hopper and two Joeys today, so it should drop that $17 fee right off, correct?

Would be great if the DIRT folks could look at this and figure out how I can drop some things.

Jan 07 - Feb 06 Monthly Charges

America's Everything Pak 104.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
5 Superstations 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
$144.99
Jan 07 - Feb 06 Monthly Savings
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
$0.00
Dec 22 State/local Tax (sales) 5.40
Bill Period 01/07/13 - 02/06/13 $150.39

The first DVR has a $6 fee going to $7 (unless you have a 922 or hopper where it is $10).
The second DVR (622/722) is $17. This is why the hopper is popular since added boxes are only $7. If you only have one DVR you should not have the $17 fee.
You may have had the old HD pack before which changed its name to BB@Home. It is not just blockbuster but a bunch of channels.

I'm guessing you had the Dish Platinum HD package in the past and that package was changed over to the Blockbuster at Home package. HD Platinum was $10 and that stayed the same when the branding changed on this package. You still get the same 20+ channels you were getting in the past but now you also get the 1 disc by mail service. So I'm sure the bill hasn't actually changed or any extra service added, but it was just a branding change and now you get more than what you did before if you choose to utilize the 1 disc by mail service.

if you want all 5 Superstations the cost is $7. Superstations are not included in the Americas Everything Package. The stations are $2 each or $7 for all 5.

The big chunk is the AEP and the 2nd DVR. You are getting the HD free already. Do you watch all the channels in the AEP? Do you watch any of the channels in the Blockbuster at Home package? There is a list of channels towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/blockbuster/

I just dropped down from the 250 package to 200. It isn't purely a matter of money (I could swing the extra amount if I got value for it), it was that the price hike made me actually look carefully at what I was paying for and I realized I was only watching one channel in 250 that wasn't available at the 200 level.

The other thing is, you can't hike someone's cost for a product by double digit percentages and not give them an improved product for it. (Well you can, but you're going to lose some business that way.)

I will add that I made the change online through the Dish website and it was effortless. Just a couple of clicks, and the package was changed right away.

Overall I'm happy with Dish, but not happy paying for so many channels I'll never watch.

That is what happened to me. Yes, I could afford AEP, but it is annoying to feel overcharged for channels one does not watch. I used to have AEP just because it was fairly reasonably priced, and it was nice to have every channel to watch on a whim. But, that was before DVR days - you had to have a lot of channels sometime to find something interesting to watch. Now I have a ton of shows recorded waiting to be watched, I do not need to endless surf through channels to see if there is something to pass the time.

I guess at the very least when they have a price increase we all take a look and ask "am I really watching" xyz...while it all adds up, I had the superstations, but cancelled it a while ago. It's nice to see news from New York and LA but a lot of the other programming is similar to the affiliates I have.

Now if it was in HD...but that's for another page

They learned it (and were forced) from the channel owners and their double-digit (sometimes triple-digit) percentage price hikes. Those channels don't have improved product either - usually the opposite: more commercials, more sponsored programming.

Last edited:
I'm currently out of contract. Would there be any incentive to renew my contract for 2 years before these changes go into effect? Would I be eligible for any credits? I currently have the 722k + Slingbox and its a perfect setup. Is there any point in looking to upgrade receivers?

There is no such thing as renewal unless you upgrade equipment, that triggers a new 2 year committment.

You are out of a committment not a contract, you can get out of the committment with a $17.50/month remaining penalty.

A contract implies obligations on both sides, with satellite service, all the provider has to do is to supply you a signal, channels are not guaranteed, little is guaranteed, but you must pay your bill for 2 years or pay the early termination penalty.

After your committment period expires you are on a month by month basis which is not a bad thing but gets you no perks except being able to terminate service at will, all Dish has to do is continue their service (no change) as long as you wish and you pay.

Sorry, I got my terminology mixed up. Yes, I am currently out of commitment and was wondering if I chose the upgrade my equipment and sign up for another 2 year commitment, would I save anything. Based on what I am seeing for the prices of the Hopper/Joey, I think it would increase my monthly bill by even more.

I currently have:
International Programming - $54.99 (increased from $49.99 in mid-2012)
DishAmerica Silver - $49.99 (will increase to $54.99 this month?)
DVR Service - $6.00

I have the VIP 722k which is connected to one HD TV and one SD TV.

Sorry, I got my terminology mixed up. Yes, I am currently out of commitment and was wondering if I chose the upgrade my equipment and sign up for another 2 year commitment, would I save anything. Based on what I am seeing for the prices of the Hopper/Joey, I think it would increase my monthly bill by even more.

I currently have:
International Programming - $54.99 (increased from $49.99 in mid-2012)
DishAmerica Silver - $49.99 (will increase to $54.99 this month?)
DVR Service - $6.00

I have the VIP 722k which is connected to one HD TV and one SD TV.

Yes your Bill would increase $4.00 dollars more for the whole home DVR fee
And 7.00 dollars more for another Box soo total would be 11.00 dollars more.

Yes your Bill would increase $4.00 dollars more for the whole home DVR fee
And 7.00 dollars more for another Box soo total would be 11.00 dollars more.

Well only $10 more since VIP722 fee goes up $1 in the price hike.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)