DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Price protection credit is limited...........maybe DIRT can confirm.

price protection credit.PNG

No puzzle, I've said it before but hasn't been validated by dish. Price protection credits are altogether different than the credit for aep & 120+.

If a customer was activated between 3/1/12 & 1/16/13 they will receive a price protection credit on top of the aep credit if they have it. Here's the catch....customers price protection credits end a year after activation, but do not start until 1/17. So for someone who activated on 3/2/12, their protection credits end on 3/1/13. In reality they'll only receive 1 1/2 months of price protection credits.

* Eligible customers will only receive the 18-month credit if they do NOT have the TV2 Receiver Connection fee (for America’s Top 120 subscribers) or $10/

mo. HD add-on (for America’s “Everything” Pak subscribers) on their account.

In other words if you are paying the tv2 connection fee it will be removed & no additional credits applied.

AEP if you're paying for the $10 hd add-on it will change to hd free for life & no additional credits applied.

It's a $5 credit for 18 months on at120+ or $10 credit for 18 months on aep if you qualify regardless of activation date.

Ok, now we're just dealing with semantics of "price protection". Either way, it's an automatic credit being applied for certain subs to offset some (or all) of the price going up.

Ok, now we're just dealing with semantics of "price protection". Either way, it's an automatic credit being applied for certain subs to offset some (or all) of the price going up.

Yes, just the semantics of price protection credits.

I feel pretty confident the info I posted to be accurate. It would be nice for DIRT to chime in & confirm for the good of the site & to put rumors to rest.

Yes, just the semantics of price protection credits.

I feel pretty confident the info I posted to be accurate. It would be nice for DIRT to chime in & confirm for the good of the site & to put rumors to rest.
Your info is accurate from what I gathered as well. I'm not arguing the accuracy or validity of what you posted, and I am in agreement. :) I only wanted to point out that new subs within the last year aren't the only ones getting credits. :D

Your info is accurate from what I gathered as well. I'm not arguing the accuracy or validity of what you posted, and I am in agreement. :) I only wanted to point out that new subs within the last year aren't the only ones getting credits. :D

That has been the confusing part for many & some disagreement on info posted.
No arguing here, we're above that. :)

i got the $10.00 AEP credit for 18 months and my account is active since august 2011, a few posts back i wrote about how my new bill that arrived yesterday was credited. i didn't qualify for the price protection credit, so, a $5.00 increase is what i get for now.

Perhaps your bill hasn't been updated yet. Look in the programming page, where you can select and modify your programming choices. Does it show as 64.99 there?

From what I know, only AT120+ and AEP subs will get an automatic discount, unless you signed up after 3/1/2012.

By chance did you opt out of locals? I also have at200. After the increase i am paying 59.99 because i do not get locals.

You can't opt out of locals. If you are Grandfathered however that could be a reason.

Eligible customers will only receive the 18-month credit if they do NOT have the TV2 Receiver Connection fee (for America’s Top 120 subscribers) or $10/
mo. HD add-on (for America’s “Everything” Pak subscribers) on their account.
It's a $5 credit for 18 months on at120+ or $10 credit for 18 months on aep if you qualify regardless of activation date.
So is the $5/mo credit (for 18 months) for AT120 or AT120+ customers? I am currently a AT120+ customer and do see the credit on my bill. With this package now running +$10/mo. over the regular AT120 package, I am thinking of dropping down to AT120 instead -- but only if I don't lose that $5/mo credit.

So is the $5/mo credit (for 18 months) for AT120 or AT120+ customers? I am currently a AT120+ customer and do see the credit on my bill. With this package now running +$10/mo. over the regular AT120 package, I am thinking of dropping down to AT120 instead -- but only if I don't lose that $5/mo credit.
Has a new bill generated since 1/17? You will probably see the credit once the next bill is generated.

Has a new bill generated since 1/17? You will probably see the credit once the next bill is generated.
You misread my post -- it already mentions that I see the credit! I am wondering if I will still get that credit (for the full 18 months) if I drop from AT120+ to AT120.

You misread my post -- it already mentions that I see the credit! I am wondering if I will still get that credit (for the full 18 months) if I drop from AT120+ to AT120.
Yes I did, sorry. My guess is that once you switch packages the credit will drop off. It is only for AT120+ customers (and AEP) since those were the only packages that had a higher than $5 increase.

Last edited:
You can't opt out of locals. If you are Grandfathered however that could be a reason.

Yep, and the sneaky SOB's will snatch it away at some point. I upgraded a 508 to a 211k AT MY EXPENSE (as in, I purchased the 211k). When I activated the 211k they took away my grandfathered no locals status without even telling me. To add insult to injury they changed the ownership status of that 211k to "Leased" a few months later.

I wouldn't mind so much if they carried more in HD than NBC & PBS for my DMA (the main reason I didn't sub to locals when they were optional) CBS is in SD and I don't get Fox or ABC at all.

Thank you DISH. May I have another! :D

I wish grandfathering with Dish would be more flexible like my cell phone provider is. I'm on a grandfathered family plan that is no longer offered and is $10 cheaper than anything they offer now, and I've been through multiple phone upgrades without any changes to my grandfather status (just new commitments). Only package changes should trigger a loss of grandfather status, not equipment changes.

I'm still really confused as to why I was downgraded from AEP to the Top 250 and given half-price premiums for 6 months.
Waiting to see my next statement before I call and see what happened.

-Customer since July.

Yep, and the sneaky SOB's will snatch it away at some point. I upgraded a 508 to a 211k AT MY EXPENSE (as in, I purchased the 211k). When I activated the 211k they took away my grandfathered no locals status without even telling me. To add insult to injury they changed the ownership status of that 211k to "Leased" a few months later.

I wouldn't mind so much if they carried more in HD than NBC & PBS for my DMA (the main reason I didn't sub to locals when they were optional) CBS is in SD and I don't get Fox or ABC at all.

Thank you DISH. May I have another! :D
They did that to me as well a while back. I purchased my 722 and then magically at some point the status changed from owned to leased. A DIRT member thankfully took care of that for me.
That really makes me mad when they do that. I don't care what the reason is, it is inexcusable...

I'm still really confused as to why I was downgraded from AEP to the Top 250 and given half-price premiums for 6 months.
Waiting to see my next statement before I call and see what happened.

-Customer since July.
I think, since you have been a customer for less than a year, you would only have been eligible for $5 off until this July. Half price premiums + AT250 for 6 months netted you what...$6 off your bill? Pretty much a wash since it looks like none of your credits will go past July this year anyway. But after 6 months you'll need to do something about those premiums or you'll be paying more than the increased AEP price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)