DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Looked at my account today, new prices were up, but was not the bill/statement. As I just paid the January bill, I am thinking thats why I saw no credit as of yet

Last edited:
$100 is my self imposed monthly limit for TV. This increase puts me at $103, and that's with the 1/2 price promo for BB@Home. Haven't decided what I'm getting rid of yet but it's either 1 receiver, BB@Home, or down to AT200 from 250.

The highest my bill has been was $99, that was with AT250, multi-sport and BB@H. I dropped multisport and BB to get my bill down to around $80. Now that it's going back up over $85 I'll be looking to drop down soon.

$100 is my self imposed monthly limit for TV. This increase puts me at $103, and that's with the 1/2 price promo for BB@Home. Haven't decided what I'm getting rid of yet but it's either 1 receiver, BB@Home, or down to AT200 from 250.

I have been debating the BB@home vs AT250 for a while now. It is a hard decision.

I found that I didn't watch many of the top 250 channels , so I dropped down to top 200 about 4 or 5 year ago. As for Blockbuster@home, I watched some of the Epix channels ,but rarely watched anything else in the pack , so it was a no brainer to me to drop it in order to save another $10.00 a month. Besides if I really wanted Epix , I can pay just $7.00 a month and get all three Epix channels + the Epix drive in channel in sd too.

My bill did increase by $5.00. which brings me over the $100.00 mark, with taxes. Right now I still am getting the $10.00 credit/month for the AMC fiasco, but when those end I'll have to take a real look at cutting something out. Probably BB@home.
Ghpr13:(

I found that I didn't watch many of the top 250 channels , so I dropped down to top 200 about 4 or 5 year ago. As for Blockbuster@home, I watched some of the Epix channels ,but rarely watched anything else in the pack , so it was a no brainer to me to drop it in order to save another $10.00 a month. Besides if I really wanted Epix , I can pay just $7.00 a month and get all three Epix channels + the Epix drive in channel in sd too.

The BB@Home package has a lot more HD channels than just the difference between AT200 and AT250, which is why I have considered dropping AT250 for BB@Home.

Well in a moment of weakness I added BB@home without dropping AT250 down to AT200... I am still considering it, but in the long run Dish will probably win this year and I will stay on AT250... Curse DYI channel...

Yeah, remember back when only the big 3 (at that time, before Fox local) had commercials? Now not only do cable networks have commercials, but we get to see commercials for other networks on the network we're watching! It's more commercials promos, than program. So much for "Pay TV".
Ghpr13:(

Not if you have a DVR. I'm sure they are causing price increases. If you could have the old prices but have to watch commercials, would you do it? Not me! Think about the hours you save.

Last edited:
Not if you have a DVR. I'm sure they are causing price increases. If you could have the old prices but have to watch commercials, would you do it? Not me! Think about the hours you save.

No kidding, even the old 1960s show uncut had about 15 minutes of commercials. Time is more valuable than a couple bucks a month.

Here's what I did in response to the price increase for the 120+ package - - drop Blockbuster at Home. It's not worth $10 a month when I have Amazon Instant and can get VOD movies from Dish on an occasional basis.

The BB@Home package has a lot more HD channels than just the difference between AT200 and AT250, which is why I have considered dropping AT250 for BB@Home.
True BB@ home does have more channels ,but none that I found I had to watch ,other than the Epix channels. IF it means paying $10.00 more a month and I need to cut my bill down ,then BB@ home was the first to go . Top 250 has nothing that I had to have either , so it went too. I already saved $20.00 a month right there,before even looking at cutting one of my Joeys on my account. Funny, I did all that and I still have a bill that is close to $100.00 a month. So my bill is now :

64.99 top 200
14.00 extra hopper & joey
10.00 dvr fee
09.00 1/2 price Hbo
--------
$97.99 before TAX and Tx surcharge

After next year's price increase I'll have to cut down another Joey and then all that is left will be the second Hopper. I've tried to keep my bill under $100.00 for years now and I am just about out of tricks to accomplish this. After I cut what is left of my extra sat equipment , then all is left is to drop down to either top 120 or the Welcome pack and go with horrible SD channels. I sure wish that DISH would give us HD versions of both Welcome pack and Family pack, so it wouldn't be so hard to downgrade.

Last edited:
True BB@ home does have more channels ,but none that I found I had to watch ,other than the Epix channels. IF it means paying $10.00 more a month and I need to cut my bill down ,then BB@ home was the first to go . Top 250 has nothing that I had to have either , so it went too. I already saved $20.00 a month right there,before even looking at cutting one of my Joeys on my account. Funny, I did all that and I still have a bill that is close to $100.00 a month. So my bill is now :

64.99 top 200
14.00 extra hopper & joey
10.00 dvr fee
09.00 1/2 price Hbo
--------
$97.99 before TAX and Tx surcharge

The Epix channels are also available separate for $7 I believe. I think BB@Home is better for $3 more, but Epix ala cart is an option if you want to keep Epix.

To any that haven't gotten the half price bb@home,you may want to contact Dirt to see if you are eligible.It's a very good value at $5 mo.You get the 20 or so channels plus the Starz on demand,and disc's by mail.Watched the second episode of Spartacus War of the Damned on demand this morning.

The obvious cost cutter is BB if you have disc alternatives like Redbox. Epix has become nearly dormant. AND, HDnetMovies became regular programming (at least on AT200) last summer during the AMC "thing".

Last edited:
Content has steadily gone downhill with wall to wall mindless reality programming on most channels now. We have decided to have our account go on "Dish pause" for the summer months when we are active doing other things, as a response to the continued price increases from Dish for less and less content value. If content doesn't improve soon we are going total 'a la carte via internet streaming for our television needs. Sad... our family has been a Dish customer since 1997 and I used to really get excited to view each Charlie Chat. Dish was so much better than cable at the time, and now Dish has BECOME the cable company with all the nit-picky hardware fees, etc. Something has got to change, as my relatives with Dish (that I talked them into) are also starting to complain. We are seeing the result of a few large media companies owning most of the channels and programming has gone to hell channel wise (due to the big company bean-counters) and has also gone to hell Dish wise since Charlie started enjoying his billions and doesn't care about his customers anymore. What happened to (Charlie) the once big dish installer with a pickup truck that would go out of his way for his customers to give them a great value? He got rich and is out enjoying his money instead of handling the day to day operations of his company... and it shows.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts