DISH Price Increases

I remember back in the day when Dish used to allow annual subscriptions and you would get a month free.

I actually thought I was special paying Charlie for an entire year of programming in advance just to avoid the January price increase and get my month free.

Then I remember them taking that away from us, and I was like FU I'll just go on Autopay and pay you every month.

There is no warm and fuzzy feeling anymore with Dish.

Every year they announce these special chats to talk about the price increases, and we would come here and try to justify it and say that Dish needs to make money.

Now Everytime I hear about this once a year chat, the question is how bad they are going to F us over.

Can't say I'm happy with Directv either, but I can live with a 50 cent increase in a/o fees. Dish seems like they continue to blow us away with these $5 or more price increases year over year.

Agreed. My Comcast is a downright bargain in comparison.

Comcast had a little price increase last week. Can't really say it was a price increase, because they have 2 year price guarantee contracts, and when your out of contract they will let you go back into contract again to get a promotion.

I think the worse thing was a $5 increase in HBO, but I hear that is going away in January when they bring the $10 premium channel offers back.

Then they raised install fees from $29.99 to $50 but dropped some of the other install fees to keep the price more consistent.

The cable companies are going to win this game. They got internet, DISH don't !

Directv has AT&T on their side, and it's good for the areas they service with u-verse internet. However AT&Ts coverage area is spotty in most areas.

I remember when I was a dealer Dish back in 2010 the big deal was they needed spectrum to build out an LTE network to provide Internet. It was a grand plan, and should have been rolled out already, yet Dish has done nothing.

Internet is a game changer, people will get internet before cable or even a home phone. In the future the only way a company will be able to sell a video service is if they can bundle it with affordable internet.

But back to this price increase topic. The cable companies are making their money on the triple play products. For home phone and Internet it costs them nothing to provide the service because they own the infrastructure. As for Tv they got the content providers to deal with, which is subject to increased every year.

On a triple play you don't have to make all you money on the video only product, you have Internet and phone revenue to help off set the profits.

Comcast had a little price increase last week. Can't really say it was a price increase, because they have 2 year price guarantee contracts, and when your out of contract they will let you go back into contract again to get a promotion.

I think the worse thing was a $5 increase in HBO, but I hear that is going away in January when they bring the $10 premium channel offers back.

Then they raised install fees from $29.99 to $50 but dropped some of the other install fees to keep the price more consistent.

The cable companies are going to win this game. They got internet, DISH don't !

Directv has AT&T on their side, and it's good for the areas they service with u-verse internet. However AT&Ts coverage area is spotty in most areas.

I remember when I was a dealer Dish back in 2010 the big deal was they needed spectrum to build out an LTE network to provide Internet. It was a grand plan, and should have been rolled out already, yet Dish has done nothing.

Internet is a game changer, people will get internet before cable or even a home phone. In the future the only way a company will be able to sell a video service is if they can bundle it with affordable internet.

But back to this price increase topic. The cable companies are making their money on the triple play products. For home phone and Internet it costs them nothing to provide the service because they own the infrastructure. As for Tv they got the content providers to deal with, which is subject to increased every year.

On a triple play you don't have to make all you money on the video only product, you have Internet and phone revenue to help off set the profits.

Exactly right. Dish needs internet to survive as a major player. Satellite internet doesn't count because it really does suck if you have other options. It's looking more and more likely that the people who said that Charlie bought up all of the spectrum just to sell at a profit were correct.

I was curious about what Dish offers for internet since they mention it on their website. In my area, Detroit suburbs, they don't have any teleco partners. Instead they offer sat service. WTF? Someone is going to get overpriced sat internet when there's Comcast and UVerse around? Now since ATT is the local teleco service, I can see that Dish isn't able to use them as a internet partner. But DSL Extreme uses UVerse infrastructure to provide uncapped internet here. Why wouldn't Dish try to partner with them to provide service?

I know it isn't all on the Satellite Providers as they have to pass on the price increases that are coming from the content providers and creators. With an HBO or Showtime you can argue that shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Homeland" have production costs on par with a major motion picture. But those are add-ons to your "basic cable" service. Reality programming has pretty much taken over basic cable as the "affordable" alternative to scripted shows. So lets point a spotlight at sports.

I would argue that America's obsession with organized sports is at the root of this annual price increase. ESPN has to pass on their carriage fees that are used to pay the professional sports organizations which in turn make it possible to pay for someone to take a football from one end of a field to another or hit a baseball thrown by another person making an equally large amount of money for entertainment. Instead of concrete, durable goods, you have this multi-billion dollar industry that turns out recreational entertainment that amounts to cost everyone $5/month more to watch or ignore.

[/soapbox]

I'm still confused as to why people think the AEP is grandfathered when they show a new price effective 1/14? I know the note says not available for Public/Private but then why show an increased price? Is there some other classification of customer that will be able to buy it new?

Someone is going to get overpriced sat internet when there's Comcast and UVerse around?
If you've seen Dish's commercials for their internet service, you'll get this, but the way they promote it, it's only marketed for people who "live way out here".

I am at least glad to see the premium price for movies are going down-Exception Showtime went up to $15.00. I've been saying that no one is paying to watch premium movies any more and it made no sense to pay $19.00 for HBO when you could get it straight from HBO for $15.00.

I'm still confused as to why people think the AEP is grandfathered when they show a new price effective 1/14? I know the note says not available for Public/Private but then why show an increased price? Is there some other classification of customer that will be able to buy it new?

Those who have it will keep it, but it is no longer being sold.

Hey guys, I noticed something on my Price Lock terms.

Have a look.
863fc788d44225e8da21bafb76f419b7.jpg

According to this I shouldn't get an increase on my Basepackage or Equipment .
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm still confused as to why people think the AEP is grandfathered when they show a new price effective 1/14? I know the note says not available for Public/Private but then why show an increased price?
I think that there may be some misunderstanding as to what "Public/Private" means. I suspect that the term only applies to MDU accounts.

Since a new residential AT250 subscription is more or less the same as an AEP subscription during the three month honeymoon, they will indeed offer AEP to newer subscribers, just not at the point of sale.

So you are saying if my old 2 year contract is up and I am presently not on any contract I will not be grandfathered to present prices and I will have to pay new prices?

You'll have to pay the new prices for programming, but you'll be grandfathered on the equipment fees up until you make any equipment changes.

If you have any old H2Ks you want to upgrade to HWS, you'd want to do that before the date the prices go into effect in order not to lose the grandfathered equip pricing if you decided to upgrade later on!

Reactions: satjay
I think that there may be some misunderstanding as to what "Public/Private" means. I suspect that the term only applies to MDU accounts.

Since a new residential AT250 subscription is more or less the same as an AEP subscription during the three month honeymoon, they will indeed offer AEP to newer subscribers, just not at the point of sale.
What exactly are Public, Private, and MDU accounts?

You'll have to pay the new prices for programming, but you'll be grandfathered on the equipment fees up until you make any equipment changes.

If you have any old H2Ks you want to upgrade to HWS, you'd want to do that before the date the prices go into effect in order not to lose the grandfathered equip pricing if you decided to upgrade later on!
Well, I was planning on swapping out my regular Joey for a 4K Joey when they come out sometime soon in the future. Would I be better off buying a 4K Joey?

Based on the description of how it works, even buying it would be a change to your account, removing the grandfathering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts