Dish Pricing Update

One of the differences between cable and satellite is that cable companies have to make security separate from their receivers (aka cable cards). Currently Direct and Dish are exempt from this requirement.

Maybe it's time to remove the exemption. If there is no monopoly on DVRs, it's more difficult to change prices on a whim. It seems the wave of the future is to not raise base prices and to pile on 'fees' so the consumer really cannot judge the cost.

One of the differences between cable and satellite is that cable companies have to make security separate from their receivers (aka cable cards). Currently Direct and Dish are exempt from this requirement.

Maybe it's time to remove the exemption. If there is no monopoly on DVRs, it's more difficult to change prices on a whim. It seems the wave of the future is to not raise base prices and to pile on 'fees' so the consumer really cannot judge the cost.
better double check that statement dish and direct both use smartcards for their receivers

I am guessing if you want to find out what your new bill will be you can now email Dish Network customer support. I number of folks have done this and sent me back a copy of the email they got back.

Here is a copy of one of the emails from someone who as a 722K with AEP.

Dear Mr. SatelliteGuys Member,

Thank you for your e-mail. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your concern. Please be advised that there will be no price increase this coming February 1st 2010 for our programming package. However, there will be changes that will benefit all our valued customers. Unfortunately, the DVR service fee of $6.00 will no longer be waived on our Americas Everything package and will be charged to your account.

Your new monthly rate will be $118.98 before taxes. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future announcements.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. General billing and programming information can be found at www.dishnetwork.com. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reply to this email or call 1-800-894-9131 for more specific information.

Sincerely,

Charles Drake V. OPID:SD2
TID : OR-Cadillac
DISH Network eCare

Changes that benefit all customers....Intresting, one of the small things that was mentioned earlier was changing programing names again. I am not sure how that simplifies things, especially when you change the names back and fourth wouldnt that just confuse some customers??

So right now I have a 612 and 722K, so with two DVR's am I looking at reciver increase? I also downgraded recently from AEP to 250, while it was nice to have to DVR fees waived the savings VS the watching of the premums was not worth it. Still have the 10.00 Platimum being waived which is nice!!

I am guessing if you want to find out what your new bill will be you can now email Dish Network customer support. I number of folks have done this and sent me back a copy of the email they got back.

Here is a copy of one of the emails from someone who as a 722K with AEP.
whats your current monthly rate?

better double check that statement dish and direct both use smartcards for their receivers

Smart cards are not cable cards. Dish's smart cards still require a Dish receiver to work. Cable cards are standardized decryption cards that let you use receivers that did not come from the cable company. With a cable card, you could get a receiver from someone other than Dish and still receive their programming.

As an AEP customer, every time I call Dish they thank me for being one of
their top customers. Having three receivers, I am not sure I can afford the thanks they are going to give me in February.

Currently I have 4 DuoDVR receivers. I don't have any DVR fees due to the no DVR fee 721s being replaced by Dish for 522s.

So the only fees I have right now are the mirror/AO/lease fee of $5 for 3 receivers. = $15

The way I am understanding the changes is I will go to:

DuoDVR $17 X 3 = $51
Credit for phone line $5 X3 = $15
Credit for DVR (except 1) $6 X 2 = $12
Total Fees charged = $24
Already Paying = $15

Difference = $9 because I don't have any DVR fees right now.
So my bill will go up by $9.

If they honor the no DVR fee on my receivers then my bill will only go up by$3.

In most of the calculations above, it seems everyone is forgetiing to factor the amount of fees that they are already paying. If I left off the $15 that I am already paying then it looks like my bill is going up by $24.

The way I look at it is my bill goes up by either $3 or it goes up by $9.
If it goes up by $9 then I am no longer stuck with the current receivers that I have. I couldn't upgrade them and keep the No DVR Fee credits.
If the $9 happens then I will be upgrading the bedroom receiver (522) to a HDTV one.

Does this look correct or I am understanding the credits wrong?

Smart cards are not cable cards. Dish's smart cards still require a Dish receiver to work. Cable cards are standardized decryption cards that let you use receivers that did not come from the cable company. With a cable card, you could get a receiver from someone other than Dish and still receive their programming.

As an AEP customer, every time I call Dish they thank me for being one of
their top customers. Having three receivers, I am not sure I can afford the thanks they are going to give me in February.
thats the theory but try to get a cable card that will let u get premiums and pay per view

Quote:
Dear Mr. SatelliteGuys Member,

Thank you for your e-mail. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your concern. Please be advised that there will be no price increase this coming February 1st 2010 for our programming package. However, there will be changes that will benefit all our valued customers. Unfortunately, the DVR service fee of $6.00 will no longer be waived on our Americas Everything package and will be charged to your account.

Your new monthly rate will be $118.98 before taxes. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future announcements.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. General billing and programming information can be found at www.dishnetwork.com. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reply to this email or call 1-800-894-9131 for more specific information.

Sincerely,
Charles Drake V. OPID:SD2
TID : OR-Cadillac
DISH Network eCare

Since when?? I guess this is something new starting in January

You can get a 612, that is if you do not need tv2.

I needed TV2 so we would have 4 channels of DVR modulated around the house to offset the $12 cost of basic cable. It's all a wash now. No biggie... I'll hang on to my 722 with Absolute HD until they pull it. Since most of our TV viewing is OTA anyways, we will go back to that w/ Netflix instant streaming when the day comes.

Currently I have 4 DuoDVR receivers. I don't have any DVR fees due to the no DVR fee 721s being replaced by Dish for 522s.

So the only fees I have right now are the mirror/AO/lease fee of $5 for 3 receivers. = $15

The way I am understanding the changes is I will go to:

DuoDVR $17 X 3 = $51
Credit for phone line $5 X3 = $15
Credit for DVR (except 1) $6 X 2 = $12
Total Fees charged = $24
Already Paying = $15

Difference = $9 because I don't have any DVR fees right now.
So my bill will go up by $9.

If they honor the no DVR fee on my receivers then my bill will only go up by$3.

In most of the calculations above, it seems everyone is forgetiing to factor the amount of fees that they are already paying. If I left off the $15 that I am already paying then it looks like my bill is going up by $24.

The way I look at it is my bill goes up by either $3 or it goes up by $9.
If it goes up by $9 then I am no longer stuck with the current receivers that I have. I couldn't upgrade them and keep the No DVR Fee credits.
If the $9 happens then I will be upgrading the bedroom receiver (522) to a HDTV one.

Does this look correct or I am understanding the credits wrong?

Currently I have 2 722Ks and a 625 with AEP, and little interest in movies.

looks like I change to top 250 might save me a few bucks I keep the phone line connected.

ditching home phone they can all be on the net and dishcomm.

this might be a good thing:)

I am paying an even $140 a month now and have been a happy Dish Network customer for 10 years. I have AEP with locals, sport pack, HD, programming guide (which I enjoy reading). I have a 722K, and 2 622s. I only pay $7 a month a piece for the extra 622s so I won't have to pay that but will now pay $17 a piece as well as a $6 DVR fee. That would increase my bill to $166. That's a 19% increase and yes that is too much. I don't want to give up anything but where does it end? Why are they punishing their best customers? This just is not a good business practice. I just got some friends to switch over and this makes me look bad.

Waived

It's been a nice run with Playboy TV, but I think I will have to drop it to offset the price increase I will incur with the AEP. Stupid $10 downgrading fee. :(

When I dropped Playboy I was able to get the downgrade fee dropped. I just had to whine a bit since I haven't changed my programming since I went Absolute. So they waived it because I haven't changed programming packs etc for a couple of years now. I did it via chat.

Anyway, I spend about 20 mins on the phone with CSR, and finally talked with one that is little intelligent than others. Here is what he explained to me, and which makes a little sense:

a. The AEP will have the price increase lesser than $3. (I guess $2.99).

b. There is no longer the wavier for DRV fee, HOWEVER, the DVR fee policy will be changed "per account" rather "per DVR". That means, you will have ONE $6 DVR fee per account regardless how many DVRs that you have under same account.

c. HD DuoDVR fee is still $7 per unit with first unit being wavied.

d. Phone/Broadband fee (if not connected) remains $5.

So, in my case, I am on AEP + HD with 6 x 622, currently paying $35 HD DuoDVR fees, the new increase will be about $9 ($3 program increase and $6 DVR fee for the account). All my DVRs are on the phone/braodband.

Since there willbe no bigger advantage on AEP anymore, I will consider to downgrade to 250 + HD package then.....

Hopping that is the true statement from CSR, which does make sense..... I don't see how Dish could increase AEP users as much as double digits in billing.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)