AT250+locals $62.99
322 Free
322 $5
Total $69.99

Proposed structure:
at250 w/ locals $62.99
322 Free
322 14 bucks

Total price: 76.99! I think not!!!! if that's the case we're dumping Dish cuz we can get Cable cheaper than that with DVR & HD!

Digital Cable here 1 box With DVR WITH HD... 71.88 + tax. no Tax on the dish but I'm not going to pay 77 bucks a month for TV service!

Actually, I have just the opposite experience. I used to lease cars, and I used to go in for scheduled maintenance, and there would be no charge. If something failed, they replace it, no charge. When I crashed one, I had to pay for it (yay for insurance and accident forgiveness). Recently I just bought a new car, and when I went in for my scheduled maintenance, I was floored by the $200 or so bill; I had never had one before.

So with a leased receiver, I was expecting the opposite of what you explained; namely, free maintenance and repairs on equipment failure. I would have only expected to pay if I dropped the damn thing or threw a glass of water on it...

I guess it depends on the car you drive :D

ok here's what I'm looking at here in my case if I am thinking right here

Currently:
AT250+locals $62.99
322 Free
322 $5
Total $69.99

Proposed structure:
at250 w/ locals $62.99
322 Free
322 14 bucks

Total price: 76.99! I think not!!!! if that's the case we're dumping Dish cuz we can get Cable cheaper than that with DVR & HD!

Digital Cable here 1 box With DVR WITH HD... 71.88 + tax. no Tax on the dish but I'm not going to pay 77 bucks a month for TV service!

After you add in the tax/franchise fees, the monthly cost difference is <$5. For that you would give up the 4 tuners (all digital, by the way) and the channel selection (does your cable co offer as many channels as you get in the 250 pack?). True you would get ONE digital cable box with DVR (Dish would also give you a dual tuner HD DVR receiver if you asked - maybe even for free if you make a big enough fuss). Add to that the fact cable prices are also likely to go up next year (perhaps as much or more than Dish).

I understand and share your frustration and have also considered going back to cable (I already have my internet connection through Comcast) but even with this price increase, I am still money ahead than what I would be paying for comparable Comcast service which doesn't give me the dual-tuner DVR or a number of other niceties that I currently enjoy with Dish.

My point is - don't do anything rash. For the difference in cost, is it really worth switching? :)

Actually, I have just the opposite experience. I used to lease cars, and I used to go in for scheduled maintenance, and there would be no charge. If something failed, they replace it, no charge. When I crashed one, I had to pay for it (yay for insurance and accident forgiveness). Recently I just bought a new car, and when I went in for my scheduled maintenance, I was floored by the $200 or so bill; I had never had one before.

So with a leased receiver, I was expecting the opposite of what you explained; namely, free maintenance and repairs on equipment failure. I would have only expected to pay if I dropped the damn thing or threw a glass of water on it...

jdmacor,
I, too, was thinking that the way it worked, but being new to E* I really didn't know. Either way I think the wiser choice would be to keep it, if for no other reason then Murphy's Law.
Ghpr13:)

As I was reading in another place on this site, DirecTV is supposed to hike rates in Feb., also. So where you going to go if you don't like one or the other? Just thinking out loud!!! El_Viejo

The only difference in the bill should be +$2 for each additional SD receiver / tuner and -$6 for each additional DVR receiver on your account (except those with AEP). I guess we could go through all scenario's (receiver setups and billings) that are possible (up to three receivers to start, someone else can add more scenarios) This only affects those with two or more receivers so that means I will list two or three receivers. #2's don't include MPEG-4 receivers in certain situations because the price increase is not there since they are already at $7 for an additoinal outlet/receiver/tuner fee.

625 = 522, 625
510 - If you replace this with 501/508 then your price remains the same if you already have a DVR on the account that you pay a fee for.
722 = 622, 722
311 = 301, 311, any other single tuner SD non DVR receiver (they are eliminating 301 and legacy receivers due to 8PSK conversion)

TWO RECEIVER SCENARIO'S
-----------------------------------

(A) 1. Solo Receiver (311/211) 2. Solo MPEG-2 Receiver (311)
Increase of $2 (second receiver from $5 to $7)
--GET A 322/222, ELIMINATE THAT FEE

(B) 1. Duo Receiver (625/722/322/222) ANY DUO NON-DVR RECEIVER 2. Solo MPEG-2 Receiver (311)

(C) 1. Solo DVR (510) 2. Solo Receiver (311)

(D) 1. Duo Receiver (322/222) 2. Duo Receiver (322)
Increase of $4 without phone line plugged in
Increase of $2 with phone line plugged in
NO CHANGE IF SECOND RECEIVER IS A 222

(E) 1. Solo DVR (510) 2. Solo DVR (510)
Decrease of $6 (only one $6 per account instead of per receiver)

(F) 1. Duo DVR (625/722) 2. Solo DVR (510)

(G) 1. Duo DVR (625/722) 2. Duo DVR (625)
Decrease of $4 (Save $6 DVR fee but increase of $2 on additional receiver fee)
Decrease of $2 without phone line plugged in

(H) 1. Duo DVR (625/722) 2. Duo DVR (722)
Decrease of $4 without phone line plugged in

(I) 1. Duo DVR (625/722) 2. Duo Receiver (322)
Increase of $4 without phone line
Increase of $2 with phone line
No change if you have a 222

THREE RECEIVER SCENARIO'S
-----------------------------------

(J) 1. 625/722 2. 625 3. 625
Decrease $8 if all connected to phone lines
Decrease $6 if one not connected to phone line
Decrease $4 if two not connected to phone lines

(K) 1. 625/722/322 2. 322 3. 322
Increase $8 if none connected to phone lines
Increase $6 if one connected to phone lines
Increase $4 if all connected to phone lines

(L) 1. 625/722 2. 625 3. 322
$2 Decrease if all connected to phone lines
No change if only one is connected to a phone line
$2 Increase if none connected to phone lines

(M) 1. 625/722 2. 625 3. 625
$8 Decrease if all connected to phone lines
$6 Decrease if only one is connected to a phone line
$4 Decrease if none connected to phone lines

(O) 1. 311/322/222 2. 311 3. 311
$4 Increase

(P) 1. 311/322/222 2. 322 3. 311
$4 Increase if all connected to phone lines
$6 Increase if second 322 is not connected to a phone line

Fill in the blanks for the rest of 2 receiver scenario's and to complete 3 receiver scenario's or come up with your simplified / other versions of this.

Last edited:
So here is what they'll be doing with the tv2 fees:

Formula is (#of Duo receivers on the account - # of TV2 Connection Fees on the account - 1= ?)

-1 = ONLY 1 TV2 Connection Fee of $5
0 = No Fee OR no Credit
1-5 = # of $5 credits per month for 6 months

So basically, if all your duo receivers have tv2 fees, then they will still leave one on the acct. :( Customers who've had these waived will get temporary credits to break what will be a heavy price increase into two smaller parts.

The only difference in the bill should be +$2 for each additional SD receiver / tuner and -$6 for each additional DVR receiver on your account (except those with AEP). I guess we could go through all scenario's (receiver setups and billings) that are possible (up to three receivers to start, someone else can add more scenarios) This only affects those with two or more receivers so that means I will list two or three receivers. #2's don't include MPEG-4 receivers in certain situations because the price increase is not there since they are already at $7 for an additoinal outlet/receiver/tuner fee.

625 = 522, 625
510 - If you replace this with 501/508 then your price remains the same if you already have a DVR on the account that you pay a fee for.
722 = 622, 722
311 = 301, 311, any other single tuner SD non DVR receiver (they are eliminating 301 and legacy receivers due to 8PSK conversion)

Great info....But what about someone who has a 722K and a 612, like myself

So here is what they'll be doing with the tv2 fees:

Formula is (#of Duo receivers on the account - # of TV2 Connection Fees on the account - 1= ?)

-1 = ONLY 1 TV2 Connection Fee of $5
0 = No Fee OR no Credit
1-5 = # of $5 credits per month for 6 months

So basically, if all your duo receivers have tv2 fees, then they will still leave one on the acct. :( Customers who've had these waived will get temporary credits to break what will be a heavy price increase into two smaller parts.

Clear as mud. Are you speculating or is this fact?

With $17 in extra per receiver fees, Dish will now be pricing itself higher than Comcast ($15 per digital DVR receiver) in my area. After 8 years with Dish, I will be seriously considering a move if this increase goes through.

Nowthat I am back from my trip I will e mail the CEO office and ask what my new price will be, and let everyone here know. since it appears hazy at best

With $17 in extra per receiver fees, Dish will now be pricing itself higher than Comcast ($15 per digital DVR receiver) in my area. After 8 years with Dish, I will be seriously considering a move if this increase goes through.

Keep in mind that 17 is for Duo DVR...that means....from that 1 receiver...u can operate 2 TVs independently. Dont know what DVR Comcast will provide u....but I have only seen Cable DVR that only work with 1 TV. So in the nutshell...u save 13 if u need service for 2 TV.

Now only if Dish gets 2HD single going from the same Duo DVR...:confused:

I don't think so

I don't think it is extra fees it is combined fees.

Bob,

I have seen many on here say that they have emailed the CEO email address before,

do you really get a personal response using this email?

Others? :confused:

I have in the past, they are top reps with the power to make customers happy. years ago one rep would authorize owned equiptement when E tried the lease only approach.

but I havent contacvted them recently.

right now I am cleaning off vehicles, and must do errands, and shopping for new years eve party here.

having been away theres lots to do............

The support crew on Twitter go through the ceo emails. You can dm one of them and get the same info. In fact, if you email ceo, you are 99% likely to get a call from one of the support techs that run Dish's Twitter.

They are quite helpful.

What is up with Dish! These fees on top of fees are starting to sound like the airlines, the fee shuffle game. Any way you slice it it is the same more costs. The SAT companies enjoyed an advantage for years over cable, but with FIOS and UVerse now I don't see the clear advanatage. Actually when you start bundling services I think the SAT companies in the long run are in for bigger competition. Verizon and ATT want to own all data/voice/media coming to your home and they are both well positioned to do that, time is the only thing against them as they need to roll out infrastructure that Comcast already has. I think if you roll foward 5-10 years unless you are in an underserved rural area the SAT companies will begin a long decline. I am do fed up with Dish polices and am just waiting in ATT to provision 3 concurrent HD streams and I suspect I'll be moving to UVerse. Dish has had constant glitches with the NBC feed here in ATL and the HD package issues. I was PRO Dish when they had HD only packages that is what kept me, but they ditched them and want me to pay like $20-$25 more per month to get an SD package just so I can get the 3-4 HD channels I am missing. At that new price point Cable and UVerse are compelling deals especially when you look at bundling voice and Internet. I thinks the way Dish can stay compelling is ot offer true a la carte programming, this can easily be done with soe software development, the problem will be with negotiaging deals with the program providers, since I suspect their deals are based on tiered pricing. Personally until then I love my NetFLix and ROKU as I get a much better value there than from Dish. Honeslty NetFlix and Roku are one of those thinsg where I feel guilty, like I am getting a way better deal than I am paying for.

I dug up some history for folks that maybe haven't been with dish as long as others.

This post has info on the 2009 Price Change that occurred February of 2009
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1630955-post7.html

This post has info on the 2008 Price Change that occurred February of 2008
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/118592-new-dish-network-pricing.html

This post has info on what the price for service was in 2007
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...locals-helpful-resource-guide.html#post763874

As an AEP subscriber, of note is the 3 year price increase of nearly $8/month. AT250 has only seen a $5/month increaese over the same time period. If the change discussed here shows up, there will be a minimum increase to AEP subscribers of $6.00. AT250 customers could see a decrease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts