Dish products that missed the mark or never made it to market

Patrick Smith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Valdosta, GA
This was discussed in another thread so I figured I'd start it. What are the products that dish released that missed the mark, Or products you were excited about that never made it to market?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

#1 must be the Sling Extender. Just because implementation was botched, does not mean it could not have been done right and succeeded. I believe it was killed because Dish didn't see any good way to charge a monthly fee for it.

There was a remote with a full keyboard on the bottom that Scott showed a few years back. Too bad that never worked out, even as an optional purchase from their store.
What didn't work was where to use it, isn't that the case ? Other than typing a show name in the search box, I don't currently see the need for a full keyboard with Dish's receivers.

I forget the model number, but I believe Dish put together a 722-style DVR for use in cable company systems to compete with Scientific Atlanta, Motorola and the like. But cablecos, not wanting to do business with a competitor despite the superior offering, balked and it never made it to market.

The Dish DTVPal DVR was a great product in concept, but suffered from the reliance on poor PSIP guide information or spotty (and now gone) TVGOS data, unlike Tivos and homebuilt MythTV media center PCs which used internet guides, and thus never caught on. Channel Master bought the product, but it eventually died.

Reactions: TheKrell
#1 must be the Sling Extender. Just because implementation was botched, does not mean it could not have been done right and succeeded. I believe it was killed because Dish didn't see any good way to charge a monthly fee for it.
This was the biggest disappointment I had when I bought the 922 dvr. I waited through all the bugs and glitches because I thought I would get Tv 2 in hd using the extender. When they quietly announced that they weren't going to release it , I traded my buggy 922 back in for a 722k. I really think you are right , they were never sure how they could charge a fee for it. DISH never met a FEE they didn't like, or charge for, if they could.

Dish 921 the precursor to the VIP series was very problem plagued the whole life of the system.
YES I suffered through this pvr as well. I kept it on a surge protector with a on/off switch that I had to do a hard power reboot at least once in the morning and once at night to make sure it recorded my shows at night . But the 942 dvr that they came out with after this one was wonderful. I had two of these and they worked great.

Reactions: DWS44
There was a remote with a full keyboard on the bottom that Scott showed a few years back. Too bad that never worked out, even as an optional purchase from their store.

That remote was pretty sweet. One of the features they showed along with that remote was the ability to flag spots in a recorded show. For instance, if you recorded a football game and you wanted to easily find the best plays of the game you could flag that portion of the recording and easily skip to it.

For instance, if you recorded a football game and you wanted to easily find the best plays of the game you could flag that portion of the recording and easily skip to it.
Now there's a new meaning of "flag football". :)

I forget the model number, but I believe Dish put together a 722-style DVR for use in cable company systems to compete with Scientific Atlanta, Motorola and the like. But cablecos, not wanting to do business with a competitor despite the superior offering, balked and it never made it to market.
I think Echostar still makes cable set-tops, albeit no cableco in the US uses them (well, maybe some small, small operation does). As you say, just because they put the "Echostar" name on it, it's still Dish Network and no one will buy equipment from their competitor. Whoever at Dish thought they would had illusions of grandeur !

USB keyboard for the 721.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

What didn't work was where to use it, isn't that the case ? Other than typing a show name in the search box, I don't currently see the need for a full keyboard with Dish's receivers.

Facebook.

The Dish DTVPal DVR was a great product in concept, but suffered from the reliance on poor PSIP guide information or spotty (and now gone) TVGOS data, unlike Tivos and homebuilt MythTV media center PCs which used internet guides, and thus never caught on. Channel Master bought the product, but it eventually died.

Not dead. Evolved.

There are apps on the Hopper/Joey that allow typing, yes, but have you used them ? If one has access to these same things (FB, Twitter, etc) via PC, tablet, even a smartphone, I can't see anyone using the Hopper/Joey apps by choice !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)