Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

As has already been said, this is all very confusing. I have two main concerns which -- well, if I wasn't confused about it, I wouldn't be asking, right?

(1) If I currently have the Classic 200 DVR Advantage package, will I begin paying something extra for locals after the package name change on August 1?

(2) I feel as if I'm in the minority here, but I still have SD TV sets in my home and I will wait until they croak before buying an HD set. As long as I have a good picture and audio, HD just has yet to make my tongue so hard that I "gotta have it" or I'll die. Therefore, it appears that DISH is moving toward packages that have both SD and HD programming. So, am I -- or will I be -- paying for or subsidizing HD channels that I don't want or care to get? Of course, all of my DISH hardware is SD so they won't receive the HD channels. But, am I still paying for them?

Eric

I'm a bit confused by the classic metal package vs the turbohd metal package syndrome here.

What's the difference say between:
Classic Gold 250 with DVR $67.99 and TurboHD Gold 250 with DVR $59.99? What will the actual channel diferences be?

TurboHD Gold is currently listed at $49.99 a month on Dish's website, is this new one the same package with a $10 price increase with the same "you aren't getting the new hd channels" issue as previously seen?

Turbo subs aren't grandfathered...Absolute subs are. Though they both get treated equally awful.
I disagree. TurboHD subs are getting treated MUCH worse than AbsoluteHD subs. Absolute hasn't seen any recent price increases (like TurboHD has) and yet they are getting every new HD channel TurboHD gets (plus a couple new HD channels that TurboHD didn't get I believe).

The questions that I think would maybe clear this up, at least for me are still the same, but I see no answers yet... so, I thought I would try it again..

If you have Platinum now, which is a $10 package, come 8/1, you'll get it anyway and your bill goes down $10, yes or no?

Or

If you have Platinum now, and you cancel it, you get a $5 cancel fee, and save $10 month thereafter, but on 8/1, those channels come back? Yes or No?

Or

If you never had Platinum, but had GoldHD, come 8/1, do those channels fall into Gold HD, Yes or No?

The questions that I think would maybe clear this up, at least for me are still the same, but I see no answers yet... so, I thought I would try it again..

If you have Platinum now, which is a $10 package, come 8/1, you'll get it anyway and your bill goes down $10, yes or no?

Or

If you have Platinum now, and you cancel it, you get a $5 cancel fee, and save $10 month thereafter, but on 8/1, those channels come back? Yes or No?

Or

If you never had Platinum, but had GoldHD, come 8/1, do those channels fall into Gold HD, Yes or No?

No to all of those. Current customers will keep their current packages and princing unless they change programming. You have to actively change your programming package to be effected by the new rates.

As was mentioned before, some people with bundled Premiums will lose the bundling if they call in to take advantage of the free Platinum channels. Supposedly, if they don't make any changes, they can keep their current bundling rates (and either continue to pay $10 for Platinum or go without the channels- depending on if they currently subscribe or not).

No to all of those. Current customers will keep their current packages and pricing unless they change programming. You have to actively change your programming package to be effected by the new rates.

As was mentioned before, some people with bundled Premiums will lose the bundling if they call in to take advantage of the free Platinum channels. Supposedly, if they don't make any changes, they can keep their current bundling rates (and either continue to pay $10 for Platinum or go without the channels- depending on if they currently subscribe or not).

Thanks for that, though of course its still confusing, I am not sure why the channels in the Platinum Package are where they are, most contain programming that I personally don't consider platinum or premium at all; now that I've started to look at it.. About the only one in there is HDnet movies, and the rest are almost a why bother IMHO of course.

So I think I am going to save the $10, dump Platinum now and call it a day.. If somehow they magically reappear some day, or they get jumbled into other packages, then perhaps I'll have one channel that I may occasionally watch back.

This is about as clear as mud!! Someone should tell Dish what KISS means. There is no need to make the pricing plans so complex. As we all know their, marketing folks are almost as bad as their customer service organization. Despite all this nonsense , I'm still very happy with my Dish TV after 10 yrs. It seems to work good for me with few issues.

Dish marketing department needs to go!!! These folks are idiots. The best way to sell dish is KISS. Dish should only have four packages and each package does include HD.

If dish does not keep it simple they will continue to loss customers to Direct TV OR CABLE, which has simply programs.
Really? Cool! I'll get Gene, Paul and the rest of the band on the phone and see if they want to do a Dish Network commercial. And , if you had bothered to read the previous posts, HD will be included in each package. No longer an add on if I read correctly.

This is about as clear as mud!! Someone should tell Dish what KISS means. There is no need to make the pricing plans so complex. As we all know their, marketing folks are almost as bad as their customer service organization. Despite all this nonsense , I'm still very happy with my Dish TV after 10 yrs. It seems to work good for me with few issues.
Maybe even get Charlie in the Demon makeup and costume. Now, that would make me wanna sub to Dish! LMAO!!

I have just been with Dish Network since 5/31, I currently have the AEP+HD Platinum.
I dont really watch Starz! that much and I was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to switch to AT250 DVR Advantage+HBO+Showtime+Cinemax for 1 cent?
I would want the local channels too.

Can someone please help me with a price break down for this before they change the pricing structre.

Thanks

I just read through it all again and it actually all makes sense to me. What does that say about me? D:

It sounds like they're still going to bundle premiums, you just can't use other add-ons in the bundle to get an even bigger discount.

Does anyone know if Locals are included in the Classic Silver? If so, I think I'll actually save some money if I call and ask for Platinum

Does anyone know if Locals are included in the Classic Silver? If so, I think I'll actually save some money if I call and ask for Platinum
No they are not. They are included with "Classic Silver DishDVR Advantage". I don't believe anyone really knows if they are included with the new "with DVR" package. If they are not and you have to add locals to "Classic Silver with DVR" then that will equate to a (hidden) price increase.

Thanks for that, though of course its still confusing, I am not sure why the channels in the Platinum Package are where they are, most contain programming that I personally don't consider platinum or premium at all; now that I've started to look at it.. About the only one in there is HDnet movies, and the rest are almost a why bother IMHO of course.

So I think I am going to save the $10, dump Platinum now and call it a day.. If somehow they magically reappear some day, or they get jumbled into other packages, then perhaps I'll have one channel that I may occasionally watch back.

Channels in the Platinum HD package have no SD equivalent, so DISH did not place them in the 200, 250, Bronze, Silver, etc. pkgs.

DISH just created their own tier for these stray HD channels - thus, Platinum HD package. (they could have called it HD Exclusives, for example, but they were on a metal kick for awhile)

Last edited:
I have a good idea... LOL... post your question on DishNetwork's Twitter page, I'm sure the kids that run it will explain it to all of you in plain English ;)