Dish Protection Plan worth it?

CrimsonKnightDX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 19, 2015
Mile High
Good Evening guys,

New Dish customer here (formally directv), and dish has the protection plan on my account free for 6 months. In your experience is it worth it to keep?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Evening guys,

New Dish customer here (formally directv), and dish has the protection plan on my account free for 6 months. In your experience is it worth it to keep?

Thank you in advance!

After your 6mo. drop it and save the expense. Dish does not require you to have it active before you use it. You can call when you have a problem and add it and schedule a service call in the same phone call.

Okay, good points guys. I appreciate it. I'll drop it once the 6 months are up. I never had it with dtv.. Wasn't sure if I would with dish. Loving the hopper and this forum so far!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Tampa8
Definitely not worth maintaining the plan on the account. Never had it myself. Over the years I've had a couple of receivers die and they were replaced without any cost whatsoever.

Just had my true first service call to repoint the dish and at first got the $99.00 service call quote, pushed back a little and got the $99 waived. If they hadn't waived the fee, in the worst case I would have added the protection plan and then cancelled. Last time I did the math adding/cancelling would have been around $35.00. I think that may have inched up a few dollars now, but would still be far less than the $99.

Overall, I have been pleased with how Dish has handled any service issues I've had.

Reactions: pattykay
When you add the protection plan back onto the account we do ask that it kept active for 6 months. if it removed prior to that there is a $30 change fee.

The plan discounts tech visits to $10 from $95 and covers all shipping fees for anything we send out to you. This includes accessory orders, remotes, and replacement receivers which would be $15 normally for shipping.

When you add the protection plan back onto the account we do ask that it kept active for 6 months. if it removed prior to that there is a $30 change fee.

The plan discounts tech visits to $10 from $95 and covers all shipping fees for anything we send out to you. This includes accessory orders, remotes, and replacement receivers which would be $15 normally for shipping.

Jason,

Say I wanted to have an another room installed, is that still $10? Or is that something totally different?

Thank you.

Here is the deal, the protection plan has 3 parts...

A) free shipping on defective equipment. Let's face it, Dish equipment is garbage. Granted they got great features and technology, but their receivers tend to go bad at a higher rate than Directv or the cable companies. So if your replacing a received every 3 months, then your probably best to keep the warranty. If you got a solid receiver, then save the $8 on the warranty and self insure on the shipping.

B) equipment warranty. If you have leased equipment this is not an issue as the equipment is covered forever. If you have owned equipment there is some benefit, but unless you got 6 722's on your account or 3 owned hoppers, your still better off self insuring.

With the cost of equipment going down and I believe the out of warranty exchange fee still being $50, it makes no sense to pay $8/mo. You would need to replace an out of warranty receiver every 7-8 months to be a benefit.

C) how technically savvy are you? If you can crimp an end on a cable, and you can trouble shoot issues yourself, then the technician visit fee reduction is worthless. If your on this board, you should be able to figure out any issue with the help of the other members on this board. If you think you will need w technician, then a $10 or $15 service call is not bad. However you can usually get a local dealer for $65.

Personally, if your on this board then put your money away because there is no value for you in this.

If your a little 80 year old lady who wants peace of mind, then your probably better getting the $8 warranty.

The only time I had the warranty when I had (6) 722's on my account that I owned and when the plan was $4.99. I got my money out of it in the free shipping and because I would replace 1 receiver every 8 months or so for whatever reason. Today, no way would I have it

Jason,

Say I wanted to have an another room installed, is that still $10? Or is that something totally different?

Thank you.

it would still be $10. The only time you would pay full price for a tech visit with the protection is if you wanted to have some custom work done, like moving the receivers or relocating the satellite dish not due to signal loss. Installs for new room with new equipment would fall under the protection plan.

Here is the deal, the protection plan has 3 parts...

Let's face it, Dish equipment is garbage. Granted they got great features and technology, but their receivers tend to go bad at a higher rate than Directv or the cable companies.

I have always found the opposite to be true. Each time I have had DirecTV, I have had much more trouble with their equipment than any Dish receiver (except for the 922).

I don't know the actual Dish policy, but for me it was a free upgrade from a 722 to a Hopper with Sling. When that HWS failed after a couple of years, it was also free to replace it. I have been a Dish customer for over 17 years so that may have had something to do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)