dish protection plan

I only put the insurance plan on when I needed it up to this last year's change. Now if I have to exchange a receiver I just pay the $15.00 charge for shipping and handling . I still get a replacement receiver shipped. I don't use DISH techs any longer since I can install my own and have been able to do it for the last 6 years.

Just remember it will cost you $25.00 to take off unless you keep it for 6 months.

At worst that would make the visit $46, versus $72 a year plus the $15 equals $87. As has been said, you will need to have at least 1 tech visit per year in order to get any value out of the protection plan... Otherwise it's $72 down the drain. Can also add the protection plan when needed, pay $15, then pay $32 for 6 months, totaling $47, which is actually a dollar more than just biting the $25 fee. Though, I would say that is a better option, in case you need a tech visit again.

My idea is that it is ALWAYS cheaper NOT to carry the service plan.

If I need a receiver replaced, it costs me $15.

If I ABSOLUTELY have to have a tech visit, I call and sub to the plan, call back and have the tech visit set up, after tech visit, I IMMEDIATELY cancel and eat the $25 plus maybe a weeks pro-rated plan fee ($1.50 or so).

So that tech visit costs me maybe $26.50 and that repair is now warranteed for 90 days.

The way I see it, it takes 3 tech visits per year to offset the $72 per year the Service Plan costs, or the replacement of 5 receivers.

There is almost no way you come out better off having the Service Plan than not having it and playing your cards right.

Overpaying for something I may not need is not peace of mind.

My neighbor's plan is to carry the policy for the first two years then cancel it. Beyond two years he can always cancel his service with Dish and go with Directv for no charge.

Hmm...sounds like a good negotiating tool to me, if you're out of contract, have a problem, then you can tell Dish you won't pay anymore than $_______ for a repair or receiver replacement. If they won't budge then the customer can budge to a different provider.

I don't think it does. I've had Dish for 13 years. I've had zero tech visits in all that time for maintenance reasons. If I need a tech visit, I'll order up the plan, pay the 6 months and cancel it.

I had it for months when it was only $1.99 a month and when it went up to $6.00 I dropped it . I only had it after when I needed it and once they added the $25.00 fee for dropping it , I will not add it again. I can pay $15.00 for any replacement receiver to be shipped to me and I never need a tech ,because I can do my own installs. Unless you have frequent problems with dish points, and need techs to come out every few weeks , there really isn't any reason for a sub to have the insurance. It is only to help DISH out as added revenue ,not the subs.

Agree except that I have a few owned receivers. I don't think Dish will replace these (if they go bad) unless I have the protection plan.

From a financial standpoint it's not worth it. From a peace of mind standpoint it is. Choose the viewpoint that fits you, they're both right.

Agree except that I have a few owned receivers. I don't think Dish will replace these (if they go bad) unless I have the protection plan.

ALL Of my receivers on all 3 of my DISH accounts are OWNED and they always replace them . The only cost is shipping and handling: $15.00.

I don't have it. I count on Dish having upgrade programs that don't cost me anything. They are always changing dishes, receivers, or programming that needs a service call.

As it would if you were a continuous participant in the plan... the discussion was/is does it make economic sense?

That question is only answered by each subscriber.Because one subscribers's needs are not the same as the others.So everyone needs to make up their own mind if it's worth it to them and if it makes sense to them get it,if not don't.;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)