Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
COVID-19 Response: DISH Provides Spectrum to AT&T at No Cost, Delivering Enhanced Capacity to Wireless Network
- DISH to lend 20 MHz of AWS-4 and all of its 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T, starting today
- Follows announcement that DISH providing entire 600 MHz portfolio of spectrum to T-Mobile at no cost for two months

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., March 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, DISH announced that it is providing 20 MHz of AWS-4 (Band 66) and all of its 700 MHz spectrum to AT&T at no cost for 60 days. Last week, DISH began lending its complete 600 MHz portfolio of spectrum to T-Mobile. With these two agreements, DISH has activated most of its spectrum portfolio to enhance national wireless capacity as the nation confronts the COVID-19 crisis.

DISH logo (PRNewsfoto/DISH)
"DISH is proud to join forces with AT&T to achieve a common, critical goal: supporting the connectivity needs of Americans during this challenging time," said Jeff Blum, DISH SVP of public policy and government affairs. "Enhancing our nation's wireless networks helps give Americans the bandwidth they need to work, learn, and check-in on loved ones, and is especially crucial for those customers without access to other sources of broadband."

DISH's AWS-4 and 700 MHz spectrum will enhance AT&T's network as wireless users increasingly turn to mobile networks for work and personal use.

Reactions: TheKrell and ncted
I see a loophole in the FCC . Dish just did technical activate all of its spectrum before the deadline. I wonder if they stated that how and when and how long that it must be used to to classify as activation looks like they beat the deadline..

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Foxbat
there giving t-mobile spectrum as well

I'd say this is intended for emergency workers with phones compatible on those frequencies.

And there's a post a few back not needed here.

All the spectrum Dish is lending out is spectrum that is compatible. So for T-Mobile, it's 600 MHz (Band 71) spectrum that the T-Mobile gear already supports. Same for Verizon with AWS-3 (Band 66) and AT&T with AWS-4 (Band 66) and 700 (Band 29).

- Trip

But can the towers change bandwidth on command? I would've thought a high-power transmitter would be more tricky than a low-power one.

Welcome to the era of the software defined radio.

EDIT: Moreover, they're using relatively standard equipment across most sites for 600 as far as I know, notwithstanding different vendors. It generally supports both 600 and 700 and has to be able to support most of the band given that, in some places, T-Mobile owns 6x6 on 700 plus something like 25x25 on 600 by themselves. 35x35 isn't that much of a stretch beyond that.

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)