Dish question regarding tuners...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PhoenixRisen

Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Kentucky
I am looking to subscribe to dish network, leaving directv after way to many years with them. What i'm curious about is this: I'm going to purchase a hdtv in the coming weeks so i'm wanting to get a hd dvr. But I also have an sdtv well. I know that dish offers the 722 and it hooks up to both hd and sd tvs. When its recording two hd programs does it lock out the sd tv? If not what exactly happens? Would i need another receiver for it if i wanted it usable during those times?

I hope that somewhat made sense. I am currently researching way too much stuff and my brain is slightly frazzled.

You should consider a 722 in Single Mode being dedicated to your HDTV so that you can record 2 HD channels without affecting any other TV's (viewers) in your house. You can then lease an SD DVR in the other room (dual tuner) without affecting the other TV. This would be the 4 leased tuner limit allowed by Dish. Most people I know find the Dual Mode for the DVR's to be a bigger pain than they thought it would be.

722 Dual Tuners

It s my understanding after reading the 722 and 722k manuals that only ONE of the tuners is HD - the other is SD. So even in Single mode, you cannot record two HD programs at the same time. I wish his were not so, since I record almost everything for later viewing. I am waiting for the 722K to be released. So far, the operators at Dish either don't know or won't admit that the "K" version exists. When I talked to a technical person last month, she said it would be available Feb 1st.

I have one of these and the 722 has quantity 3 tuners all of which are capable of recording HD. It has 2 Dish Network satellite tuners, and one ATSC tuner. You can record 3 programs at once (assuming one is OTA) and this does not prohibit either TV1 or TV2 outputs from playing back pre-recorded programs, including HD programs. So the disk (in that case) has to sustain 5 video data streams simultaneously.

Quirk #1: the TV2 output is SD-only. (It downconverts HD programs.)

Quirk #2: the TV2 output will not display the ATSC/OTA tuner, so you cannot schedule a recording nor view OTA programs in real time via TV2 in the normal (dual) mode. You can, however, play back OTA recordings on TV2.

It s my understanding after reading the 722 and 722k manuals that only ONE of the tuners is HD - the other is SD. So even in Single mode, you cannot record two HD programs at the same time. I wish his were not so, since I record almost everything for later viewing. I am waiting for the 722K to be released. So far, the operators at Dish either don't know or won't admit that the "K" version exists. When I talked to a technical person last month, she said it would be available Feb 1st.

Lesson number one: don't believe a word that a first level CSR tells you.

In regards to the 722 (or 722k), both tuners are indeed hd, and the OTA tuner can also record hd. Here is what you need to know:

• 2 hd satellite tuners
  • 1 hd OTA tuner
  • TV 1 with hd and sd outputs
  • TV 2 with sd outputs

• 2 hd satellite tuners
  • 2 hd OTA tuners
  • TV 1 with hd and sd outputs
  • TV 2 with sd outputs
Now both of them can record either sd or hd channels, but they are hd capable on every tuner. The limitation for the second tv is the output. Namely, you can put the receiver in dual mode, and then each tv can watch programs independently, as long as there is a tuner available. For me, I have recording set to automatically use the TV2 tuner. So in my bedroom, when something is recording on that tuner, I would have to watch either an OTA channel or something that is recorded. Additionally, the sd tv can watch any of the hd recordings or channels; they will just be downconverted.

Now, if you want hd on both tv's, it is possible, but they would have to be watching the same thing. TV2's standard out is not capable of hd.

Thank you for all the replys. They are quite informative. If i want to go the route of running the 722 in single mode, what would dish charge for the leasing of the second receiver?

would dish charge for the leasing of the second receiver?
$7 for the lease fee, plus $5.98 DVR fee. Plus the extra upfront costs of 2 leased receivers.
If your going to go this Route,
My advise is Get a 612 and a 722 (2 HD 1 SD DVR), If you go with this ,you can still lease another 612,211,0r 301 if needed later.
Or 2-722. (2HD 2SD DVR) But if you get 2 722, you can't lease anymore equipment.
Don't waste your money on SD DVR's (625) you won't get all the channels that your HD receivers do. Even SD TV2 still gets all the HD channels ,just not in HD.

If you go with DVR Advantage, you get your locals and DVR fee covered on first receiver. You would not pay a lease fee for the 722, the primary receiver.

$7 for the lease fee, plus $5.98 DVR fee. Plus the extra
Don't waste your money on SD DVR's (625) you won't get all the channels that your HD receivers do. Even SD TV2 still gets all the HD channels ,just not in HD.
Unless, like me, you live where you can't get the HD satelite without cutting down a bunch of the neighbors trees.:(

I have a 622vip and i can record 2 HD shows at the same time. No limitations on recording (either HD or SD)

Clarification on the new 722k:
  • The OTA tuners (2) are in an add-on module ($30, I believe). Both are HD.
  • TV-2 can watch an OTA tuner live with the 722k, but only in SD.
What this means is that you could record two things at once and still be able to watch a third live on TV1 and a fourth live on TV2. You might not have your choice of whether it was a satellite channel or an OTA channel, but you could do it.

Personally, I'd wait for the 722k to be available, and do the DVR Advantage with it. If you can't tolerate not having a dedicated tuner for TV-2, you can always add another receiver later.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)