dish question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gissob236

Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
new england
i have a 36" motorized dish w/FTA capabilities. If I get Directv installed, I was told by Directv installer that they would have to install their OWN dish. Is this true. Thx

Yes. They will not touch your dish, they install their own. It is always possible to modify your dish to do it if you know what you're doing and like tinkering but it's not as simple as sticking the Directv LNB to your dish, and if you have problems you're on your own.

It is always possible to modify your dish to do it if you know what you're doing and like tinkering but it's not as simple as sticking the Directv LNB to your dish, and if you have problems you're on your own.
It isn't reasonable to use a motorized dish as they typically aren't designed to receive up to four orbital slots (99W, 101W, 103W, 119W) simultaneously as may be required for DIRECTV.

There is also the problem of needing to handle both Ku and Ka frequency bands that, to date, can only be accomplished with a DIRECTV LNB assembly.

I would be surprised if there weren't polarity and switching issues at play here too.

Thx to JerseyMatt & harshness for your quick response. At least I know where to go from here. Have a great day & thx again.

It isn't reasonable to use a motorized dish as they typically aren't designed to receive up to four orbital slots (99W, 101W, 103W, 119W) simultaneously as may be required for DIRECTV.

There is also the problem of needing to handle both Ku and Ka frequency bands that, to date, can only be accomplished with a DIRECTV LNB assembly.

I would be surprised if there weren't polarity and switching issues at play here too.

Umm, thanks. That's why I used the qualifiers "if you know what you're doing and like tinkering" and "it's not as simple as sticking the Directv LNB to your dish" :rolleyes:

And BTW they don't have to receive 4 slots simultaneously, the dishes are just designed that way so they don't have to move. Any given channel only requires reception from one bird.

Umm, thanks. That's why I used the qualifiers "if you know what you're doing and like tinkering" and "it's not as simple as sticking the Directv LNB to your dish"
My point goes much further. I'm stating that you're all wet with respect to being able to do more than 101W with a 1M dish (and even that depends on the configuration of the LNB). You failed to point out limitations and special conditions of what you proposed (and there are several).
And BTW they don't have to receive 4 slots simultaneously, the dishes are just designed that way so they don't have to move. Any given channel only requires reception from one bird.
The proper functioning of the receiver demands a particular stack plan and signaling that would be almost impossible to simulate with a couple of LNBs (one Ku and one Ka) and a motor driven dish. Then there's the pretty much insurmountable issues of doing more than one channel (without hand-picking channels that are on the same slot) at a time or HD programming. I'm thinking you would have to design and build some sort of motor controller to translate switch requests and make sure you were using the appropriate LNB to aim at each satellite.

You may have noticed that you can't do DIRECTV HD without something that looks and acts like a DIRECTV AT-9 or AU-9 multi-LNB dish. This isn't an oversight on the part of the RV antenna manufacturers. There just isn't a practical way to do it otherwise.

Another issue is guide data and authorization signal reception..

In summary, your answer was substantially wrong and offered a lot of false hope for anyone but the basic SD English language package subscriber.

I didn't offer false hope for nothing. Did I say it would be reasonable? Did I say it would be practical due to the fact that the channels are scattered in a non-meaningful way across the birds? Did I say it would be convenient because he wouldn't have to move the dish every time he changed channels? No, I didn't. I said it's POSSIBLE if he likes to TINKER and knows what he's doing.. People like to tinker for no other reason than because they CAN. Otherwise people wouldn't be taking apart LNBs and adapting them to BUDs. Depending on the focal point of the dish and due to the closeness of the slots to each other, if it were pointed to 99 or 103, most likely it would still be able to pick up 101 strong enough to receive the authorization signals. And your reply served no other purpose than to start an argument because I made you look like an ass in another thread. So why don't you go away.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts