DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Anyone seeing espnu in hd on dish?

I have the Hopper and I'm seeing ESPN U in HD. Only problem is the Hopper is disconnected and have been replaced by a Directv Genie box. I figure it must not have been Dish as the HD picture quality is so much better than what I've been experiencing over the past year & I can watch all the NFL & English Premier League soccer I want on my tv and not worry about the ESPN or Disney Channels going dark. Oh yes, also explains why the wife has stopped complaining about the ever increasing satellite bill and my daughter's ability to finally watch ABC Family in HD.

I have the Hopper and I'm seeing ESPN U in HD. Only problem is the Hopper is disconnected and have been replaced by a Directv Genie box. I figure it must not have been Dish as the HD picture quality is so much better than what I've been experiencing over the past year & I can watch all the NFL & English Premier League soccer I want on my tv and not worry about the ESPN or Disney Channels going dark. Oh yes, also explains why the wife has stopped complaining about the ever increasing satellite bill and my daughter's ability to finally watch ABC Family in HD.

Do tell. How does the PAC12 Network look?

I'm unaware of any MVPD who is not "ever increasing" their bill. Programming costs to all MVPD's continue to go up, and it is passed on to subscribers. Although DirecTV mouthpieces would have a different view.

Hope the service works for you, I think you will enjoy it, it's a good service though about ever increasing bills, they raise rates also each year. I also think there is a link on the Direct side on upcoming rate increases for 2014

Well maybe Scott's updated gut with a possible feeling of maybe something happening today will occur

I think if the channel goes it will be on Monday. ESPN wants to have the eyeball for advertisers. Makes no sense to pull them until then. That gives a good 5 days of negotiation to return them in time for CF on Saturday.

whew,my gut is rolling this morning.what could it mean?:D
It means the bean burrito you had for dinner last night is not agreeing with you. :)

Just talked to a friend at ESPN a few moments ago, only thing he said was "talks are continuing."

And that's all they have been told.

?ESPN logos are back on the Hopper today, here is to hoping thats a good sign. :)

Because as usual under current laws the content owners hold all the cards. Dish will eventually have to relent. Dish may be able to survive without Disney, but eventually Fox, NBC and CBS will come up for renewal. Each holding a large number of channels hostage. In a few years Dish will go under without channels, or submit to the demands. The content owners are under no obligation to license their channels to Dish, they want to because Dish will pay them big bucks. But, if they feel Dish is costing them money with ad skipping, they will not budge. They know very well if they give into Dish they will have every provider with ad skipping technology to deal with, all they have to do is say if you want to license our channels you have to agree not to have ad skipping technology.

It is way too simple of a demand from the channel owners not to demand. But, like I said above, if they can get more money from Dish to compensate for the perceived loss in ad dollars, they may come to a deal allowing ad skipping with extra money from Dish.

Despite the news articles which are just referring to what Charlie said about using it as a negotiating tool, the networks still hold all the cards. The lawsuits are over the current contracts, one of CBS's arguments is that Dish negotiated in bad faith knowing that they were going to be skipping ads and renewed the CBS contract months before the release of the Hopper. Dish has not won any suit. The only thing that has happened is that the networks have been unable to prove permanent harm and get an injunction before trial. There will be trials and probably take years.

I do think that the networks are being greedy and charging way too much for their content, making monopolies out of exclusive sports deals with events happening in sometimes public venues (in some cases supported by tax payer dollars). But, the way the copyright law is now, the copyright owner is under no obligation to share their content with anyone they do not want to share it with.

I don't dispute any of what you said, but this is Charlie Ergen we are talking about. HE is the KING Of Lawsuits. IF he can keep the auto hop feature going and using it as a bargaining tool , he doesn't care how long it takes before he will eventually give in. He is trying to diversify anyway into cellphone service as well as just video. If he can keep the prices he pays for content lower while he does this, he will . Anyone remember how long Tivo and the Distant networks lawsuits went on? The Tivo lawsuits started in 2004 and was finally settled in 2011 and he is still making payments for the copyright infringement till 2017. DISH could keep this going for years if it gets them media and public attention. Or he could agree to sign agreements to never use auto hop on a certain channel during the length of the carriage contract ,in order to keep prices lower , or NOT to if they ask for too much. I simply do not see this feature or legal argument ending any time soon, if DISH's legal history is any indicator.

Just found this article on GDP Insider date 10/3/13 stating ....

"DISH Network Corp (NASDAQ:DISH) and Disney have announced that they have now extended their carriage contact for a short-term and Disney’s channels will continue to be aired on the former’s network. This deal had been sealed in 2005 and both the companies have said that they will continue discussions around the contract that is set to expire at the end of October."

http://gdpinsider.com/dish-network-corp-nasdaqdish-will-support-disney-5298.html

Where's the info from the anonymous source that can't identify himself because talks are still on going???...I would really love to hear what's going on haha...o to be a fly on the wall

Looks like there is more to work out if they extended the contract till the end of OCTOBER. I am betting that the rate hikes on Espn are getting a little too steep for old Charlie and he is saying so in these negotiations. Going up $3.00 per sub is a lot of money for a few hd sports channels that not everone watches. ANd that $3.00 is just for ESPN, I wonder how much of an increase they are asking for ABC , ABC FAMILY and DISNEY?