DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

BS. There is no deal ..don't be delusional.. charlie will pull the channels to save face when he caves in

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

That doesn't make a bit of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Might explain why Disney wants to control the distribution. Makes the Roku path more valuable, if it is exclusive (or nearly so).

Roku's streaming boxes will offer up live TV shows, events and video from ESPN and Disney later this month, providing you've got the appropriate subscriptions from the right "linear network". ESPN viewers will get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes and ESPNEWS through the WatchESPN channel. Both Goal Line and Buzzer Beater will also be coming to Roku... when it's the right season for 'em. At the same time, anyone who has a video subscription from "an affiliated provider' will be able to pick up Watch Disney, Watch Disney Junior and Watch Disney XD programming. In short, it's pretty similar to what Google Fiber subscribers picked up not too long ago.

A little confused, if the streaming is going to be live programming and you have to have an affiliated "linear" provider why would I choose to stream it live when I can watch it live via my affiliated provider?

When I am away from home and there is no TV service available this might be an interesting option but really what provider (other than potentially Dish) does not already have the EPSN and Disney suite of channels?

I will put the app on my ROKU but I am not sure when I would use it.

A little confused, if the streaming is going to be live programming and you have to have an affiliated "linear" provider why would I choose to stream it live when I can watch it live via my affiliated provider?

When I am away from home and there is no TV service available this might be an interesting option but really what provider (other than potentially Dish) does not already have the EPSN and Disney suite of channels?

If DISH is one of those "linear" providers, this may be the only way to get ESPNU in HD.

ESPNU game you want to watch? Switch on your Rokus, DISH subscribers! LOL :)

I installed the WatchESPN app on my Roku. I have Cox as my "affiliated "linear" provider". But, I can't watch anything live, only pre-recorded spots. All live channels error as a channel not available....

Roku's streaming boxes will offer up live TV shows, events and video from ESPN and Disney later this month, providing you've got the appropriate subscriptions from the right "linear network". ESPN viewers will get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes and ESPNEWS through the WatchESPN channel. Both Goal Line and Buzzer Beater will also be coming to Roku... when it's the right season for 'em. At the same time, anyone who has a video subscription from "an affiliated provider' will be able to pick up Watch Disney, Watch Disney Junior and Watch Disney XD programming. In short, it's pretty similar to what Google Fiber subscribers picked up not too long ago.

Well option is that instead of having a second receiver, your Roku is acting like a receiver (for a number of limited channels), so no monthly fee... err... not yet at least.
Affiliated linear provider today, separate subscription tomorrow.
Doubtful. That'd break up Disney's, "we want people to pay for our service even if they don't use it" marketing strategy.

I have TV's that I don't have receivers hooked up to, but have an Xbox or roku hooked up to. So this would allow me to have fewer TV's with a receiver to get the games on.

Just installed the app on my Roku 3, I have my internet through UVerse so I can watch ESPN3 stuff. I watched some of the FSU/Miami game from a couple weeks ago and the picture is much better than any ESPN Gameplan game on Dish. I assume the experience is the same on the Apple TV. Not quite HD, but a heck of a lot better than SD. The image almost looks better than what you get by watching it on the PC, maybe it's because there isn't as much overhead from flashplayer and browser extensions. The motion was smoother for sure.

I still say (as some others) the deal is done but for language on some details related to the actual satellite carriage.
I don't think the deal was ever in doubt no matter what was being printed. It was about how far the two wanted to go on certain things and how future transmission of content would take place. I would not be surprised that discussions went further than first aniticipated perhaps because they are able to agree, and that is why it took longer. The announcement of an all in one app that includes downloads now to Android may not be a totally separate event from the these discussions.

I believe they have agreed to stand back to back, take twelve steps, turn and fire!

It will be sad to see this thread die. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts