DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Comcast has added $1.50 for each local. I see Dish and other cable companies adding more separate charges for the locals as the locals insist on more and more money. Dish should make them optional as they originally were.

ABC Family in HD would be nice this time of the year. I like the 25 days of Christmas... but I admit its probably the only time of the year I watch ABC Family. :D

I agree would be nice to have in HD this time of year, to late to hope for a Christmas gift from Dish/ABC?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Comcast has added $1.50 for each local. I see Dish and other cable companies adding more separate charges for the locals as the locals insist on more and more money. Dish should make them optional as they originally were.
that would be well over $20 where i live

That would be a killer. But I suppose there's another $5 "locals" mandatory fee coming our way.

It's actually a $1.50 Broadcast TV fee. Not each local, all of them.... But, that said, get ready, it's coming soon to your local Dish/Direct outlet... ;)

They have to pay for the guide data (and have permission from the channel to carry the guide data) for each local channel, so I don't see that happening unfortunately.

They have to pay for the guide data (and have permission from the channel to carry the guide data) for each local channel, so I don't see that happening unfortunately.

When you use TiVo for locals, you pay for guide data. Does the local station get a cut of the free ota local stations guide data. So Tribune pays the local station to list its' guide data. God, What Greed.

One (possible) interesting side effect of the ongoing talks - I used to see a lot of college football / basketball in the clear on the RSNs, including many games carried in the ESPN PPV packages. This year a lot more games are blacked out - I haven't been able to watch any of the ACC / SEC / Kentucky basketball games that I used to be able to watch on at least one of the RSNs. Perhaps just coincidence, but interesting that Dish is being much more determined to black out college sports on the RSNs while ESPN negotiations go on.

(And BTW, I have no intention of subbing to the ESPN PPV packages until they decide to broadcast the games in HD. $100+ for unwatchable SD? No thanks.)

Most PSIP data is wrong or dosent go out more then a few hours. Making it useless.
So then let customers bitch at the stations. The ONLY reason I signed up for locals (back when you could opt out) was solely for guide data. People think it's bad to pay for 'FREE OTA'? Try paying for information that's IN THE DISH RECEIVERS!

I don't see why only having a few hours of PSIP is an issue. I'd rather have two hours of good data than 24/7 of "Digital Service".

So then let customers bitch at the stations. The ONLY reason I signed up for locals (back when you could opt out) was solely for guide data. People think it's bad to pay for 'FREE OTA'? Try paying for information that's IN THE DISH RECEIVERS!

I don't see why only having a few hours of PSIP is an issue. I'd rather have two hours of good data than 24/7 of "Digital Service".

Because it renders your DVR practically useless. Even if you don't have one, millions of subs do!

So then let customers bitch at the stations.

Have you ever tried to call a station? Have you ever tried to talk to an engineer?

Good luck with that.

Last time I called my local station I was calling to let them know there was a problem with their encoder...and was told not to bug them, and that there are other stations to watch.

I gotta ask...where did you get that idea?

Just my observations. For instance, last year I was able to watch Kentucky non-conference games on FS-Ohio, ACC basketball games on NESN and some SEC games on ALT channels and/or RSNs not in the deep south. This year every single one of these games has been blacked out on every channel.

Just my observations. For instance, last year I was able to watch Kentucky non-conference games on FS-Ohio, ACC basketball games on NESN and some SEC games on ALT channels and/or RSNs not in the deep south. This year every single one of these games has been blacked out on every channel.

I noticed that same thing too thing year. The only college basketball games that I have been able to get have been some no name teams - any of the major conferences or teams that are on the Alternate Channels have been pretty much blacked out.

...and Dish has no say in what gets blacked out, that's up to the content owners. Your observations are wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)