DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Can't be Illegal Contact. According to the rule, the QB must still have the ball for there to be illegal contact. Rule 8, Section 4, Article 3. The contact clearly happens after the pass is in the air so the only possibility is PI.

Now, do you think, if there was no contact that Gronk had a chance to CATCH the ball? The ball was underthrown and Gronk's momentum was taking him away from the play allowing the defender to undercut him.
The other possibility is a hold, since it could be interpreted that the contact obstructed Gronk from going after the ball.

I officiate HS football and PI is clearly the most controversial call out there. Hell, even the retired officials consulting for ESPN and Fox can't agree on this play....

You are assuming PI. Illegal contact does not even have be a catchable ball. Clearly illegal. Weak, WWF-style fail by the refs. Cowardly.

And I hate the Patriots, FWIW.

I'm not a Pats fan either. How many times have we witnessed a crucial play where your team forces an incompletion on 3rd or 4th down only to see a flag in the secondary for defensive holding away from the ball. Gutless call all the way.

Sort of on topic,I bet ESPN got huge ratings for last nights game.They may try to jack the asking price up again!:eek:

Sort of on topic,I bet ESPN got huge ratings for last nights game.They may try to jack the asking price up again!:eek:
Out of curiousity, why do you think they got huge ratings? Because of the "controversy"? People were either already watching or not at the time of the play. I bet you the ratings were about average for a MNF game.

ETA: You should have taken the bet. I was wrong... highest rating for MNF this season (11.2 rating). Still looking to see how past MNF have done.
ETA2: Something doesn't make sense. Week 1's MNF rating is listed as 11.8. So how can last night's game be the "highest rated of the season" (according to Variety)?

Last edited:
I guess count me in the group that wants this settled. It has dragged on. It's getting to the time of year where ABC Family has a lot of Christmas shows on. The "glorious SD" usually has me going to buy the Blu-Ray. Would like to watch with my grandkids. Also want ESPNU but understand things take time.

Out of curiousity, why do you think they got huge ratings? Because of the "controversy"? People were either already watching or not at the time of the play. I bet you the ratings were about average for a MNF game.

ETA: You should have taken the bet. I was wrong... highest rating for MNF this season (11.2 rating). Still looking to see how past MNF have done.
ETA2: Something doesn't make sense. Week 1's MNF rating is listed as 11.8. So how can last night's game be the "highest rated of the season" (according to Variety)?

Let me splain it for ya lol

You had not one but 2 teams that are in contention for the playoffs.New England and Brady usually get high ratings,add in a match up against an up and coming Carolina team on a 4 game win streak = big ratings.There have been some awful match ups on MNF this season,fortunately this wasn't one of them.

I bet it was because Nielsen takes twitter into account now. You would have been right if that weren't the case

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts