DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I could actually see Charlie pulling the plug on it (even if just for a very short time) just to prove he can considering his history of comments regarding rate increases on ESPN and sports networks in general. I feel like it may be less likely in the heart of football season, though and it would be terribly risky IMO. If the contract ended in March...

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It wont have to last awhile for me. If they drop Espn Ill come the the conclusion they dont care (dont buy the disputes for a second) and Ill not be a customer anymore. I dont pay them to falsely market to me that they are saving me money, I pay them for channels.

I don't think not having ESPN would really bother me for awhile. No conflict with hockey, the MLB playoffs, the winter Olympics. The World Cup would be the next big thing that they have and there is always Univision to fall back on.

I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't miss ESPN in the least. I did read an article recently showing ESPN has lost market share so I can't imagine they are asking for an increase. But what do I know.

I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't miss ESPN in the least. I did read an article recently showing ESPN has lost market share so I can't imagine they are asking for an increase. But what do I know.
I can imagine it. It's not about market share or ratings, it's about ESPN having to pay for their latest big, fat, juicy overblown and overpaid contract they just signed. Giddyup.

Here's the thing, Dish offers a crippled ESPN/Disney package. People with other carriers I talk to can't believe that ESPNU and ESPN News are in SD, much less that the Disney networks are too. And no access to WatchESPN. Dish pays for it, why don't they have what the other networks do in terms of HD and online offerings? Split ESPN off, I'll gladly pay for them as a premium package as long as EVERYTHING ESPN offers is part of it.

Here's the thing, Dish offers a crippled ESPN/Disney package. People with other carriers I talk to can't believe that ESPNU and ESPN News are in SD, much less that the Disney networks are too. And no access to WatchESPN. Dish pays for it, why don't they have what the other networks do in terms of HD and online offerings? Split ESPN off, I'll gladly pay for them as a premium package as long as EVERYTHING ESPN offers is part of it.

Dish thought they were paying for it also and did provide those other channels in HD (except ESPNU which wasn't available in HD at the time), but the Mouse thought otherwise and got Courts to agree that Dish needed to pay separately and extra for HD feeds, so the HD feeds were dropped, except for ESPN which seems to have been under a different contract.

The HD feeds were not dropped... they were pulled by Disney.

I remember at first they thought there was an issue with their IRD's or Fiber connection from which those channels were received.

there is no way this contract is going to be signed without at least a few days of ESPN outage. Ergen likes to drive the hardest bargain and he is still smarting from the way he lost the lawsuit on Disney Channel HD. Payback is a bitch.

The HD feeds were not dropped... they were pulled by Disney.

I remember at first they thought there was an issue with their IRD's or Fiber connection from which those channels were received.

Hopeing then When and if :) an agreement is made the HD feeds are back up for the other Disney channels

Here we come last week of September :)

Oh I was assured by online customer chat support just now, when contacting them about another issue, that I would be the first one to know when the agreement was signed. I almost had my drink go out my nose I laughed so hard.

Oh I was assured by online customer chat support just now, when contacting them about another issue, that I would be the first one to know when the agreement was signed. I almost had my drink go out my nose I laughed so hard.
Well, please keep us in the loop. :D

there is no way this contract is going to be signed without at least a few days of ESPN outage. Ergen likes to drive the hardest bargain and he is still smarting from the way he lost the lawsuit on Disney Channel HD. Payback is a bitch.
The amount of money it'll cost to replace the CSR phone systems that explode if Dish let ESPN go briefly would probably not make stalling worth Dish's while.

Don't you get it?! Naked mole rats don't wear clothes! No, that isn't it. I mean, ESPN wants everybody who subs to Cable or Sat to pay for ESPN, not merely the people that actually watch the channel. So a la carte can't be done. Everything used to be a la carte in the C Band days, but the channel providers have convinced everyone that such a system would lead to either the heat death of the universe... or naked mole rats wearing clothes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts