DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Honestly, the extended contract doesn't work for me. I wanted to be able to get $5 off my bill for 6 months, a Roku, and a George Foreman grill because ESPN was turned off by Disney when the contract expired. Now all I get is ESPN. Bad move Dish, bad move!

I could easily see the negotiations continuing for the rest of the year. Given the number of channels and I am sure Dish is working the options on each channel (Dish on Demand/digital rights, HD, SD, volume discounts, package tiers, etc) to death. There is a lot to be negotiated.

Walt Disney Co. (DIS)’s contract renewal talks with Dish Network Corp. (DISH) are hung up Dish’s ad-skipping technology and terms for two new Disney cable channels, according to people familiar with the discussions.
Dish, the second-largest U.S. satellite-TV service, and Disney, owner of ABC, ESPN and Disney Channel, gave themselves one to two days beyond yesterday’s deadline to hammer out an accord, said the people, who sought anonymity because the discussions are private. Talks may last longer, they said.
Dish’s AutoHop technology, introduced in May 2012, presents a significant obstacle to a deal. The one-button feature allows subscribers to skip commercials on recorded broadcast TV shows, undermining the effectiveness of network ads. Dish is embroiled in litigation with ABC, CBS Corp. (CBS), Comcast Corp.’s NBC and 21st Century Fox Inc.’s Fox over the feature.
Disney, based in Burbank, California, is also trying to build distribution for two new channels -- Fusion, a venture with Univision Communications Inc. aimed at Hispanics, and the SEC Network, which will feature Southeastern Conference college sports beginning next year. Terms for both are being negotiated, the people said.
Dish, based in Englewood, Colorado, and Disney agreed yesterday to a “short-term” extension of their programming agreement, which was due to expire Sept. 30.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/disney-dish-talks-said-to-hinge-on-ad-skipping-new-nets.html

Walt Disney Co. (DIS)’s contract renewal talks with Dish Network Corp. (DISH) are hung up Dish’s ad-skipping technology and terms for two new Disney cable channels, according to people familiar with the discussions.
Dish, the second-largest U.S. satellite-TV service, and Disney, owner of ABC, ESPN and Disney Channel, gave themselves one to two days beyond yesterday’s deadline to hammer out an accord, said the people, who sought anonymity because the discussions are private. Talks may last longer, they said.
Dish’s AutoHop technology, introduced in May 2012, presents a significant obstacle to a deal. The one-button feature allows subscribers to skip commercials on recorded broadcast TV shows, undermining the effectiveness of network ads. Dish is embroiled in litigation with ABC, CBS Corp. (CBS), Comcast Corp.’s NBC and 21st Century Fox Inc.’s Fox over the feature.
Disney, based in Burbank, California, is also trying to build distribution for two new channels -- Fusion, a venture with Univision Communications Inc. aimed at Hispanics, and the SEC Network, which will feature Southeastern Conference college sports beginning next year. Terms for both are being negotiated, the people said.
Dish, based in Englewood, Colorado, and Disney agreed yesterday to a “short-term” extension of their programming agreement, which was due to expire Sept. 30.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/disney-dish-talks-said-to-hinge-on-ad-skipping-new-nets.html

Interesting the Hopper is causing problems...

Thanks for the link Cosmo.

I found this paragraph interesting...

?So I guess we will know in a day or two.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ks-said-to-hinge-on-ad-skipping-new-nets.html

Dish is not going to bend on the AutoHop so that is a non-starter. I hope they are not wasting their time on stuff that will not change. Could be just a bargaining chip, though. ESPN seeking leverage given the AutoHop "damage to advertising".

Dish is not going to bend on the AutoHop so that is a non-starter. I hope they are not wasting their time on stuff that will not change. Could be just a bargaining chip, though. ESPN seeking leverage given the AutoHop "damage to advertising".
ESPN is NOT affected by Autohop. Only the prime time network channels can be autohopped.

Remember this is for ALL the DISNEY owned channels, not just ESPN.

Interesting the Hopper is causing problems...
In a perfect world with free market competition without extortion, AutoHop would have nothing to do with these negotiations, since none of the channels being negotiated are affected by AutoHop. :mad:

In a perfect world with free market competition without extortion, AutoHop would have nothing to do with these negotiations, since none of the channels being negotiated are affected by AutoHop. :mad:
No actually it came out yesterday that ABC owned and operated stations in NY and other markets were part of this deal as well.

It sounds like some of them are. They probably aren't the main focus of the negotiation though. From the press release...

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH (NASDAQ:DISH) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) have reached a short-term extension with respect to the continued carriage of ESPN; Disney Channel; ABC owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh-Durham and Fresno; ABC Family and other networks from The Walt Disney Company. Details regarding the extension were not announced.

No actually it came out yesterday that ABC owned and operated stations in NY and other markets were part of this deal as well.
Ah...but my point stands. A cartel holds one card over their heads and mucks up the entire process even for unrelated channels. No different than congressional budget negotiations. :(

BTW before anyone asks...

My gut is in a knot... now knowing this extension was only for a day or two has me hopeful yet I know it can all blow up... thus the knot.

The gut however was correct that they would not be shut off today. :)

BTW before anyone asks...

My gut is in a knot... now knowing this extension was only for a day or two has me hopeful yet I know it can all blow up... thus the knot.

The gut however was correct that they would not be shut off today. :)

If any of your other body parts are offering clues as to how this may turn out, please let us know.

Like others have said before we just got that new press release.... As long as they keep the switch providers now scroll off all their channels I'm not going to worry about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts