DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I've been able to watch every game I wanted to. Just know unles you're local most CSN games will be blacked out (CSN Chicago the exception which is good since they show Horizon league) and that SEC/ACC are regional as well but they are so widely distributed you'll find it on some channel unblocked.

Have you ever tried to call a station? Have you ever tried to talk to an engineer?

Good luck with that.

Last time I called my local station I was calling to let them know there was a problem with their encoder...and was told not to bug them, and that there are other stations to watch.

That's not true for all stations though. A few hours to a few days is better than nothing but digital service.

I have 3-4 days worth of psip data for all my main locals and subchannels except Fox and Mynet. The only engineer that didn't respond to my requests was the one at our Cox owned Fox and MyNet duopoly. When Rovi stopped the TV Guide Onscreen service my 3 Paldvrs reverted to psip. I contacted our Big 5 affiliates in Tulsa and all responded within a couple of days and kept asking me what I was seeing. They said they only had tv's that went out a few hours, so they were not sure of exactly how much data they were sending. They thought it was 48hrs when it was really only 18hrs. They kept making changes until I had roughly 3 - 4 days worth of guide data. They all told me it was nice to hear from their viewers and to know the data was a benefit to viewers.

Because it renders your DVR practically useless. Even if you don't have one, millions of subs do!
I do have one. How does it make it useless? Are there problems with using PSIP? Of course. Would I rather have PSIP INSTEAD of the Tribune guide data? Of course not. But I'd rather use PSIP than do manual timers for everything.

I DVR Revolution & Parenthood every week. Somehow the shows get recorded... even those that aren't available in the guide when I set up the recording.

...and Dish has no say in what gets blacked out, that's up to the content owners. Your observations are wrong.

I agree that the content owners set the rules - but it is up to somebody at Dish Network to actually set up the ZIP codes or DMAs (or whatever they use) to determine what areas get to see live sports events and which ones are blacked out.

Dish Network has always been pretty consistent with blacking out MLB / NHL / NBA games to markets who aren't supposed to see them, but they seemed to be a bit more lax with NCAA football / basketball. So far this year they have been much more strict in blacking out NCAA basketball (didn't pay much attention to NCAA football this year).

Like I said, I was able to watch a bunch of ACC games and some SEC games last year on the RSNs - this year every one has been blacked out for me. I'm sure my observations are correct, though I admit the reasons for the change are debatable.

Last edited:
I'm certain that the new contracts with the ACC and SEC and ESPN are what have dictated more sweeping blackout rules, not someone being lax. The ACC contract was new as of last year, it just may have taken ESPN longer to get their schedule filled up with exclusive broadcasts last year compared to this year.

I figure Dish would like to wrap up an agreement before they determine and announce their rate hike for next year. IIRC the rate hike usually occurs in February and is announced at least 30 days prior.

I figure Dish would like to wrap up an agreement before they determine and announce their rate hike for next year. IIRC the rate hike usually occurs in February and is announced at least 30 days prior.

I get your point but,they can spring a rate hike anytime they like.Seems like they had 2 rate hikes in one year a few years ago_One of which came in Aug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts