DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

So is it real unlikely that ESPNU will be in HD by the NCAA wrestling tourney this Thurs?

I'm a newbie so take it easy on me.

Thank you.
Scott is the main know-it-all about such things, so when he knows there will be a thread announcing that it has gone live. Otherwise, we have to go by his gut which says "soon". It'll be anytime between now and a few months. Until then, you can watch WWE or TNA to fill your wrestling needs. ;)

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but there's no point to espn news in HD these days. When dish lost it, it had extra bars for specific stats. Now its like watching sports center 24/7. Too me the room could be used elsewhere.

ESPN is planning to have more college football and basketball on it next season.

I doubt they have any widescreen SD channels because the 16:9 format is usually used exclusively for HD channels.

Not so. ATSC does in fact have SD 16x9 formats. Wiki it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scott is the main know-it-all about such things, so when he knows there will be a thread announcing that it has gone live. Otherwise, we have to go by his gut which says "soon". It'll be anytime between now and a few months. Until then, you can watch WWE or TNA to fill your wrestling needs. ;)

Unless he wants to watch a WWE ppv.

ATSC does in fact have SD 16x9 formats.

Indeed it does, and furthermore this mode works on all legal ATSC tuners, even the cheapest decoder boxes for older TVs. So it DRIVES ME CRAZY when local channels (you hear me PBS?) letterbox a widescreen program, then transmit it as 4:3, thereby making it picture-framed on widescreen TVs. Why why why? :rant:

Scott, just how much room are we talking about freeing up when the conversions are complete, a small amount to allow for a handful of new HD channels or enough to go crazy and maybe even improve picture quality? Also, I assume this is dealing with Western Arc, correct?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Indeed it does, and furthermore this mode works on all legal ATSC tuners, even the cheapest decoder boxes for older TVs. So it DRIVES ME CRAZY when local channels (you hear me PBS?) letterbox a widescreen program, then transmit it as 4:3, thereby making it picture-framed on widescreen TVs. Why why why? :rant:

I wonder about this too. I can only guess it's to save bit rate for subchannels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is anyone broadcasting notably better?
I guess you could say I have blinders on, but I have limited exposure to other providers. Time Warner is the only one I've seen closely. I know one person who has (or had) ATT Uverse but we didn't watch any TV there. Some people have DirecTV but I don't analyze it, compare different channels, make sure settings are correct, etc.... Hell, my in-laws had standard-def set-tops connected to HDTVs for years and when they did switch to HD boxes, they were connected with coaxial cable.

It's all subjective. Everyone has their own opinion.
I thought they optimized their signals for a certain display size that is most common, say 46 to 50inch?
Which is why I stated a "notable" difference.
I guess you could say I have blinders on, but I have limited exposure to other providers.
Then why call Dish out on the "acceptable" line?
I have watched Verizon Fios TV before when visiting relatives in Florida and it looked pretty awesome to me. But I don't have a clue what they are broadcasting for as compressing the signal, etc.
Anecdotally, I think Verizon is the only one I've heard that is considered typically the best. At Satguys, some say Directv is better than Dish, some have said there is really no difference, a few have noted The Hopper has a slightly better image.

5316(180) - ABCF [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (ABC Family)
5316(180) - ABCF [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (H) (ABC Family)
5320(172) - DISE [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 13 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (The Disney Channel)
5320(172) - DISE [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (H) (The Disney Channel)
9530(142) - ESNWS [MPEG4 HD] - Ciel-2 129W TP 29 ConUS beam changed to Available (ESPNews)
9530(142) - ESNWS [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (ESPNews)
9531(141) - ESPNU [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 13 ConUS beam changed to Available (ESPN U)
9531(141) - ESPNU [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (ESPN U)
9557(172) - DISE [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 13 ConUS beam changed to Available (The Disney Channel)
9557(172) - DISE [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (The Disney Channel)
9558(180) - ABCF [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 19 ConUS beam changed to Available (ABC Family)
9558(180) - ABCF [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 10 Conus beam changed to Available (ABC Family)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts