Dish receiver fees?

Mbamalaka

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Point roberts, WA
Hi all,
I have a question re additional charges by Dish. I recently subscribe to Dish and have a Hopper with Sling and Joey (I OWN BOTH) .. and besides the programming I am being charged monthly $12 for DVR Service (which I find fair and necessary) and $7 for Joey Receiver which I find strange since I own them... is this charge correct? If someone can explain me this one before calling Dish and have a friendly chat with their reps... thanks for the help.

Hi all,
I have a question re additional charges by Dish. I recently subscribe to Dish and have a Hopper with Sling and Joey (I OWN BOTH) .. and besides the programming I am being charged monthly $12 for DVR Service (which I find fair and necessary) and $7 for Joey Receiver which I find strange since I own them... is this charge correct? If someone can explain me this one before calling Dish and have a friendly chat with their reps... thanks for the help.
Owned or leased, fees apply. Makes owning non-advantageous for the most part.

It is an additional outlet fee. Owning or leasing equipment makes no difference. The first receiver on the account is included in your programming costs but any additional receivers have an additional receiver fee.

How much did you pay for the HWS?

Owned H/J gear is relatively rare.
Not really, Dish Depot (I think) was selling hoppers for 199. Many here bought them, especially those who thought two was not enough...though I doubt they would admit it now.

They're asking $249 now and claim that it's a reduction from $299.

Originally retail was $299. Then dish lowered it to $149, it stayed there for a little while then they went back up to $199.

When they were $149 is when dish depot was selling them for $199 & many here bought them.

That's a pretty good price actually. I'd be all over that if I was a dish customer as I prefer to own all my equipment anyway.

The $7 additional outlet fee isn't that bad on a joey,any of the dual tuner receivers with 2 tv output cost $17 a month!

$190 for both Dish and Joey on Ebay (new). I really thought I was going to save longterm on the additional charges... I didnt realised the DVR service for each unit.... :p

The only advantages to owning are to avoid a contract, or to have the ability to start/stop service at will. For instance if the Joey is for a rarely used guest room, you could have it turned on when the in-laws are in town, and turned off when they leave, or when you want to hint they should leave.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good price actually. I'd be all over that if I was a dish customer as I prefer to own all my equipment anyway.
The problems come when something goes wrong or the equipment needs to be updated. If you own, you're on your own (or must subscribe to an insurance plan) so you end up paying a lot more for the comfort of not paying any less.

As always, I have to remark that there are taxing jurisdictions that may make owning a less-expensive proposition; at least in the short term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts