DISH releases Hopper Duo Smart DVR

I have just one TV, so called DISH about the Hopper Duo. They said that for now, it’s only available to new customers. I have the Hopper 3, and she recommended I keep it, even when ( and if ) the Duo becomes available to existing customers because the H3 has more features and “ costs the same “. But I said, the DUO apparently costs $ 10.00 a month, and I’m paying 15.00 a month. She said the $ 10.00 per month is only for the new customers, and after their 2 year commitment, would be increased to $15.00 a month.

I think that would be a huge step down. I’d keep my Hopper 3 even if the DVR fee was always $10 for everybody with a Hopper Duo. The $60 per year would be worth the extra 14 tuners to me.

So you went from a Hopper account back to ViP?
Yes. To clarify, that was in order to get grandfathered at the $10 ViP DVR rate. I had been grandfathered at the $12 Hopper DVR rate, but I always had the option to switch back to ViP to save money. When Dish announced that the ViP DVR rate was going up to $15 unless you had a ViP before a certain date, I knew that was my last chance to save money on the DVR fee, so I switched at that point. It was a lucky break, too, because my Hopper 1 still had the old UI when I switched, so I got to completely avoid the CUI debacle until I got new receivers that could handle it. (Wally and Hopper Duo)

Its meant to replace the 722 but obviously you have to have the regular hopper in line to run it so no more account stacking or have a 722 at one home and a 722 at another home. Smart yet not all customers are stupid when there are other alternatives out there that allow you to keep equipment at two different locations such as a summer/winter home.

Back to reality? Currently have a HWS w/superjoey. Also have a 211K on my account that we use for our camper. I don't suppose that I could replace the 211K with a "duo smart" DVR?

Back to reality? Currently have a HWS w/superjoey. Also have a 211K on my account that we use for our camper. I don't suppose that I could replace the 211K with a "duo smart" DVR?
Good question. I have also been wondering if a Hopper Duo can be mixed on the same account as an older Hopper.

Also, I have been unable to find if this unit can be directly hooked to a Dish with a DPP lnbf or does it require a hybrid?
Hopper Duo can be directly connected to a DPP LNBF or switch. I have tried it with a Dish 1000+ with DPP44 switch, and directly connected to an EA Dish 1000.4 and a WA Dish 1000.2, and each dish works fine with Hopper Duo. A hybrid hub would only be required if you want to add a Joey.

Reactions: JSheridan
Hopper Duo can be directly connected to a DPP LNBF or switch. I have tried it with a Dish 1000+ with DPP44 switch, and directly connected to an EA Dish 1000.4 and a WA Dish 1000.2, and each dish works fine with Hopper Duo. A hybrid hub would only be required if you want to add a Joey.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!! Now the ? is can it be added to an HWS account like my 211K as I mentioned above?

Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts