DISH releases Hopper Duo Smart DVR

Yup... if your External breaks, or goes missing, or anything like that, the normal functions for the Wally will continue to work. You can also interchange the HD that gives it the ability to be used as a DVR regularly. I am really just playing semantics here, but it is technically not a DVR even with the eHD. It is a non DVR with dVR capabilities.

DVR is Digital Video Recorder. The Wally is technically a DVR after paying a one time fee and adding a hard drive. You can't make up your own definitions.

Reactions: pattykay
DVR is Digital Video Recorder. The Wally is technically a DVR after paying a one time fee and adding a hard drive. You can't make up your own definitions.

External hard drives that are self powered in 2TB or less are not easy to find anymore as a standalone unit. They also are NOT as cheap as they use to be a few years back. Long run makes the Duo more suitable if one can get it on an existing account..
Gerry

Where can one buy a Wally or Duo? I have searched for an hour and can't find a price on DISH's site. They used to have a store. Isn't there an aftermarket place which a lot of people on Satguys buy from?

I should have included that requirement. But I don’t recall- will the duo support more than one joey?
No. The limit is 1 Joey per Duo.
Apparently, the Hopper Duo will support a second Joey. It is just that if both tuners are already in use, you will not be able to watch live TV on the second Joey unless you mirror what is on either the Hopper Duo or the other Joey. The second Joey would also still work for watching recordings, On Demand, Netflix, etc. I just read about someone with a system set up like this. I have never done it myself, though. (I don't have any Joeys at all.)

Apparently, the Hopper Duo will support a second Joey. It is just that if both tuners are already in use, you will not be able to watch live TV on the second Joey unless you mirror what is on either the Hopper Duo or the other Joey. The second Joey would also still work for watching recordings, On Demand, Netflix, etc. I just read about someone with a system set up like this. I have never done it myself, though. (I don't have any Joeys at all.)

Another thing that works but is not supported by DISH. :rolleyes:

They told us specifically that the limit is 1 Joey.

Another thing that works but is not supported by DISH. :rolleyes:

They told us specifically that the limit is 1 Joey.
If I were Dish, I would limit it to one Joey as well. When you only have two tuners why would you want to sell more receivers than the tuners will handle.... It would just generate more trouble calls saying that the other Joey won't tune to a channel when the two available are in use.

If I were Dish, I would limit it to one Joey as well. When you only have two tuners why would you want to sell more receivers than the tuners will handle.... It would just generate more trouble calls saying that the other Joey won't tune to a channel when the two available are in use.
I am guessing that Dish would rather have people use a Wally for the third TV in this situation. Of course, the Wally does not integrate with the Hopper system, which could be an inconvenience.

Agreed. And in that vain IMHO it wouldn't be bad if the Duo software actually limited it to 1 Joey. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)