Dish Remote Access Android App Help

My concern here is that your rooted your phone. From what I understand when you got 2.2 that is not officially 2.2, you kind of excluded yourself from updates, like Droid 2.2.1. I was looking into the option before the official release of 2.2, but stopped when I saw the loss of support and updates when you do that. I also understood, from what I read at the time, that applications that required support from the official Droid O/S would possibly not work, such as the Flash release, etc. I can only imagine that without the "official" software, you are likely to have a hard time finding support on your platform. I too have the original Droid by Motorola, and my DRA works fine. That being said, it is likely your tampering may be causing the issue. You may be able to find support where you found the information about rooting, as I am pretty sure not even Motorola will help fix this app issue and I am almost certain it voided any warranty (except crushing insurance).

While it's easy to blame the rooting or the custom kernel, I have not had problems with any other app. I will be updating to the latest Cyanogen shortly and that will have the most recent updates.

Forgive me for sounding as though I blamed the rooting as the only cause, as I mentioned that it is likely (not definitely) the cause. I am simply saying I did not root my phone and mine works fine. I have the same version of the application from the market and have absolutely no problems at all. I have Verizon for my phone service, and I have Comcast internet at the home end of all this. I am seeing things that cause me concern but actually limit my ability to help. T-mobile users have been a large part of this thread, as people have posted here on the thread saying that their T-mobile Android powered phones are not working, but the same or a similar phone on another carrier is working. There may be other variables as well, such as the upload speed at home (as a lot of ISP's will be happy to market their download speeds, but do not necessarily care to market their upload speed). People have also mentioned no problems using other carriers and an Android O/S. Whether your particular issue is related to the rooting or not, I cannot say. If your only problem is connecting through the DRA app on your phone, I would suggest going to your service provider and seeing if a standard phone (similar to yours without the rooting) works or not. Its easy to do as a troubleshooting option, and then you will know for certain whether that is or is not the issue, or a part of it at least. You mentioned that you were unsure if it would have anything to do with it in your original post, so it sounds to me like you considered it yourself as a viable reason it does not work. Does it make a difference when you are using Wifi versus the 3G network? Does it make a difference which phone on the same service? What is your upload at home? Any of these questions, and possibly some not asked, can be the answer to some or all of the issue you are personally having, and will vary from user to user.

Last edited:
Well since i've removed the app and attempted to download again my Droid Market can no longer find your app Tony. It always comes back saying it doesn't exist. I even tried scanning with my phone bar code scanner the code on E*'s website and it finds no available app.

I've looked into updating my droid version. One place onMotorola's site states that it isn't available yet, but at another location it allows one to download the latetest version for installing. I've downloaded to my pc this version but am afraid of installing on my phone and making it a brick.

I think thousands of people upgrade without bricking their phones. Just follow the directions on the Motorola website. This involves putting the file on the SD card and telling the phone to upgrade. I am almost positive the current firmware will check the validity of your downloaded file and not do anything if it doesn't check out OK.

Seems (from Motorola's website) that it's still not out for the XT.
CLIQ XT MB501 (T-Mobile)Upgrade to Android 2.1 - additional testing in process; more details when available
I don't know what gives, since this was announced last summer. I do see that 3rd parties have it working already here: Exit Strategies - Android Forums

If you're really nervous about the Android Forums way of doing things, then you'll just have to wait for the officieal release. I have personally blown away the firmware and put on custom roms on my Samsung Behold 2 on 4 occasions without incident.

This is why i'm afraid to do the upgrade. But stated somewhere else on Motorola's site they offer you the latest version to do the upgrade. If there was a way to ask T-Mobile if I could swap out for a newer android phone i'd do it in a minute. I made a two year comittment when I purchased this phone this past summer. I should have read more about this phone to learn that is outdated.

One thing about the market Ron is that if it does not work on your phone, they won't have it on the market. It may be removed from the market due to network limitations or not working on your model phone. I know I did not have the option for anything that ran using Flash until I got a supported O/S and downloaded flash on my phone. Immediately after doing the updates, the flash apps were available to me. This may be the reason the app is no longer available to you. I still show it in the market, but perhaps it is not supported on your carrier or your phone yet.

The 2.1 upgrade has been due since Q2 of last year and as I own this phone i do not expect the upgrade ever, Do not be afraid to root and install a custom rom regardless what Tony states a rooted and custom rom phone will not cause the problems with this app,The forums that the previous poster linked is one i go to and developed several friendships with the rooting process is fairly easy if you can follow instructions and if you get stuck you can stop and ask in the forums and they will get you headed in the right direction. I have gone this direction and do not regret it as Motorola has failed in supporting their customers i am sorry you are going thru this i use the same name on this and the other forum if you choose to go this route and would be happy to assist you.

Well it was once in the market store. Did the Direct Access app get upgraded to the point since my original installation where now it is no longer supported by my version of Droid? Sequecne of events for me I couldn't find the app. Then i did and installed it. All worked fine then one day it stopped workign on 3G. Unistalled, reinstaled no change with 3G. Then last week I unstalled it again to do a reinstall and now I can no longer find it in the market place.

Ron, I have spent ALL day today on your issue almost specifically, searching for any thread of hope or information I could find. There is no mention of T-Mobile taking away the DRA app, and no mention of issues using the app. I tried the Droid forums, and I also tried any other site I could find, even going page by page looking through Google to see if I could find an answer.

--EDIT--

I FINALLY was able to get access to a working 922 and see if there was a streaming issue via your carrier. The specs for the Sling Adapter and the 922 are identical, so I put this to a test. Here are those findings.

First, I had to verify the connection to the 922 worked. I accessed it via the web using dishnetwork.com and then going to the DRA, watch live TV. I was warned the internet connection to the 922 was questionable and at first try I got a (2) message saying I couldn't connect. I then changed the channel to SD from the website and it worked. It did take forever to connect. From there, I switched back to HD (Dukes of Hazzard) and it worked in HD as well, but the picture was a hair crazy.

I then downloaded the DRA app from the market on my colleagues MyTouch 3G (T-mobile). I was able to locate it right away, so sorry I couldn't recreate the disappearance. I logged into the same receiver using the app via 3G (not Wi-Fi) and sure enough it told me someone was already using it. I basically kidnapped the feed with the app (it calls it something in particular) and first try I got video in HD. I checked SD and besides a slight delay changing channels (streams?), I got it as well. T-Mobile can carry it just fine via 3G.

What this experiment says to me is that the issue is not the carrier in general, and the app from the market works fine. You confirmed this when you said the Wi-Fi worked. This basically isolates the issue to the network in your area and your phone. I read that you can dial 611 from the handset and it will give you any known network issues in your area. If that is not an issue, I think I also mentioned a software update for the network service itself. From my experience, even with Verizon, occasional software changes on the network itself require updates on the phone to see that network change. You can do that at a T-Mobile store I am sure. This is not the same update you do to the O/S. The 1.5 platform works (posted earlier in the thread) so that is not an issue. Again, this software is specifically designed for the phone to communicate with the network itself.

Once we have eliminated all these steps I believe you will have found the solution. I am very sorry that it worked for a short time, but I am positive that there is a simple explanation as to your 3G connection issue.

Last edited:
I have a T-Mobile myTouch 4G and have had no problems with the Dish Network App from the Market. It was free and works great. I like using it better than the supplied remote that came with the 722. There is a bit of delay but just takes a bit to adjust to it. Best think is I can list all my recordings including the ones on the EHD. They can be sorted to your taste with ease, and once you hit the play on TV it starts on the TV. Cant wait to get my Sling Adapter so I can watch TV on the myTouch 4G.

Well I just did a search again.It finds the app when you search the words sling or Dish remote Access.When you then select the app for downloading it comes back saying the app isn't there.
Perhaps the next time I try it the app will be there and get installed. Afterall I couldn't even find it listed this morning.

Ron

Last weekend I picked up a T-Mobile G2 running Android 2.2. Found and download the Free Dish Remote Access w/o any problem and it's runnng fine. Also, I have a 622 w/ a SlingBox Pro HD & an 722 w/ a SlingBox Solo. Both are streaming video just fine. I don't know if matters, but both sling boxes were already configured on my Dish Account.

So, when I command the box is it controlling via the sling IR sender, or the Ethernet? I guess I can try blocking the IR when I get home.

I'm now trying to figure out if there is any reason to purchase the Dish Sling App. The Windows Mobile app had an Audio-Only mode that I liked to use to save bandwidth. I don't see this on Dish Remote Access. Does Android Sling App have it ?

I assume the Droid app would also get you straight to the PVR without dealing with the App generated menus.

I have also noticed that the Dish Site often thinks my PVR's not not Online, when I can get to the Sling Boxes (with the PC Sling App) without any trouble. Also, the PC sling app can also get directly to the sling box without relying on an external server for IP translation (you need to know your IP address and have port forwarding set up).

How are your SlingBoxes connected to your DISH equipment David? I am trying to be able to access them through DRA but being that the SlingBox is connected with RCA cables I am not sure how the DISH receiver would even know the Sling was connected at all. Not to mention I am not aware of any updates to DRA that allow the SlingBox to even function via that app.

Ron, we could get the installer app and send it to you maybe. Again, I am still concerned there may be the update issue or network issue in your area. Have you checked into that? If so, and the app still does not load, I can find the installer file and email it to you, where you could connect the phone to your computer via USB and install that way.

I just ran across some interesting information along the lines of T-Mobile customers from another forum I work on. I just thought I would post that information here as I know that a lot of the people posting in this thread are saying they have T-Mobile. This may be more specific to those who were able to work the Sling Adapter for a little while and then it quit, but may affect everyone as the information may still apply.

Apparently, T-Mobile has a cap, even on the unlimited plan, that would make this information relevant. Even though you have unlimited data plans, after a 5 GB "cap" they apparently "throttle" your speed (the forum member mentioned getting an email after exceeding the "cap" as well saying this). Apparently this "cap" is in place until the new billing period begins. This is a quote from that particular forum, so bear with me on copying it.

"I wanted to mention a possible issue for some of us using the Dish Network Sling Adapter and accessing it through Dish Remote Access via T-Mobile carrier. I just got the Dish Network Sling Adapter about a month ago. I have an Android phone on T-Mobile, so I added the unlimited 3G data. A couple of weeks into using this I went over the 5 GB cap, so T-Mobile throttled my data speed. On another forum, it was suggested to me that I should just force 2G only by selecting it in the menu. The reasoning is that 2G is faster than throttled 3G. I made the switch and was pretty satisfied, until I started getting reports from others that I wasn't answering my telephone. I did some more checking and it appears as if this is a common problem. Specifically, if a GSM carrier device is streaming content that calls don't ring through. It is a good lesson to me to be careful during future billing cycles to keep under the 5 GB cap, thus allowing me to continue to use 3G data in an un-throttled capacity."

To all who have reported a problem and are T-Mobile customers, see if it is possible you have exceeded the 5 GB cap (should be able to view online on your usage). Again, I am researching this and am just finding information that may or may not be useful. I included 98% post as I thought that everyone should know a possible workaround AND that that workaround may have inherent "problems". I then continued to research the issue and found this on the "Unlimited" plan details, which apparently is called the "Even More Plus webConnect Overage Free Plan". This information came from T-Mobiles website (directly copied) and the details about the plan are as follows:
This plan includes:
• Up to 5 GB monthly high speed mobile broadband Web access
• No overages! (After 5 GB, data speeds may be reduced)
• Unlimited Wi-Fi Web access at T-Mobile HotSpots
• No annual contract
• Share from anywhere with your tablet, netbook, or laptop.

I really hope this information is relevant to those of you reporting an issue with T-Mobile and the Sling Adapter/DRA app. For those of you still looking for the app, I wonder if maybe it is hidden until the data usage resets at the end of your billing period? I know I am just flinging stuff out there, but I have to roll with what I can find and speculate on the rest. I mention this because you may be using your phone for things other then DRA and eating up that ability to stream the content at full 3G speed.

I think this information in particular may be directly connected to your issue Ron and I am sorry I didn't find it sooner.

Last edited:
Both of my slings are connected with Component Cables. With a stand-alone sling, the dish receiver does not need to know the sling is even there. It's been awhile, but if I remember there was a place in the onine setup to add the sling box. I believe it asks for the sling finder ID.

I believe you log into Dish Remote Acess.
Then Select the Preferences Tab
Then Select the Receivers Page

There I see my receivers and the slings attached to them. But, I believe this is where I originally added them.

A few more thoughts.
I checked my T-Mobile bill. I've never gone over 2GB. So, if there is a possible speed reduction, I probably haven't hit it. I'd guess my sling'ing over T-Mobile is <10 hours/month. Back then, I was using the Win Mobile App and was often running Audio-Only.

If you're having trouble adding your stand-alone sling box perhaps the trick is to first set it up using the stand-alone PC software. Set Up a sling login and register your boxes there.

A big advantage of the PC stand-alone is that you can directly access your sling box (by IP) without relying on the sling servers. You need to know how to deal with router port forwarding.

For whatever reason I cannot access it that way, but thanks so much for the info David. I am not too concerned as I am getting a 922 and a sling adapter for my 722 within the month. The Sling Box I have is SD only, and I am also looking forward to getting the Sling Receiver 300 whenever it comes out (maybe X2 for the TV2 in HD! yippee!).

The comment about the app not working and possibly being related to the "throttling" was really directed at the people with the actual Sling Adapter and T-Mobile service, not the Sling Box. It was more to suggest a possible reason as to why the app worked originally and then quit with the Sling Adapter via 3G. Anyone who had that issue should certainly post here and let me know if you went over the 5GB and if that may be a possible issue, as that would explain why it still works via Wi-Fi and not 3G.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts