Dish Remote Access Trouble - "Your DISH DVR does not appear to be online"

Sorry about the delay in responding to this Redelephants, I have spent a large majority of my time lately developing interactions with other forums and trying to carry an ever expanding workload. As far as problems on the Android O/S and DISH Remote Access, if you could post what receiver, how its connected to broadband (including modem/router models and ISP), along with which phone and which service provider (i.e. Sprint, Verizon, etc) I will certainly get to work on this. As much information as you can provide would make the search for commonalities easier and maybe provide a fix all.

My 722 had this problem (showed as yellow in DRA) until I put it in the DMZ on my router and gave it a reserved IP (by MAC address) rather than just random DHCP. No idea why that fixed the problem...

Tony is checking on an issue I'm having with DRA as well... (such a nice guy!)

However, I also have "Does not appear to be online" issue. Maybe when he fixes my other issue this will solve itself but it has me wondering: what ports does Dish Network need open on the firewall? Is this information published anywhere?

My firewall does not have any ports open. It is a buggy web site causing the problem. Whenever I have trouble on the web site:

1. Try again in a new browser window. Many times this fixes it. Retrying in the same browser does not seem to work
2. Open up the DVR in the Sling Iphone app (I use the sling one, not the Dish branded one). This always seems to work. Once I have opened then disconnected via sling it then works on the web.

Since I have not done anything to my home network (in fact not even at home) and it magically fixes itself, one has to assume it is a bug on the Dish web site. Note that going to dish.sling.com is far more reliable than dishonline.com.

I'm having a different problem. My sling adapter connects I can see it on dishonline but its only streaming from 90-120Kbps and I'm not getting a picture or sound, just black. It says optimizing, connected then connected...but no pic.

here's my internet connection speed

Last edited:
I think this should help. These are the minimum specs for proper operation.

• HD Content through DRA / DISHOnline.com
    • Network Bandwidth of 3 Mbps or better
    • PC
      • Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Video acceleration support desirable on graphics card
      • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
      • Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
    • Mac
      • Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
      • Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
  • SD Content through DRA / DISHOnline.com
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 600 Kbps or better
    • PC
      • Intel Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent
      • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
      • Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
      • 256 MB RAM
    • Mac
      • Intel-based Mac
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
      • Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
  • SD Content through Mobile Device
    • DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better
  • HD Content through Mobile Device
    • DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better
It seems to me that yours should be working, but there may be a factor in connection as to what speed the receiver can actually connect to the modem, and the hardware using to catch it via computer. Hopefully this information posted here will benefit everyone, as this is something I believe may be an issue with a lot of your problems. I hardwired my network and am able to get in excess of the required bandwidth. I personally use Comcast's standard modem, a Netgear Wireless G capable router (hardlined) and a Dynex 8 port switch and still get better then then minimum upload. I stream at approximately 1500+ kbps on my SlingBox but it is SD. Again, I have no problems and have accessed others with the Sling Adapter via PC here and through my Droid via DRA. I am working on getting the adapter to see if I can experience your issues and work a fix. As far as my speed I am not sure what I actually pay for (about $50 a month I think), but my network seems to cruise past the bracket I actually have and that is even with an XBOX on Live almost 24/7 (housemates kid who is 14). I will post actual models tomorrow, along with a screen shot of upload/download from a PC. I am curious as to what it is rated officially. Be sure you guys are taking notice of the equipment needed to view the content, and not just overall speeds as well. A lot of the requirements needed for streaming look to be computers built in the last couple of years (dawn of Vista).

Did anyone get good and useful information out of this post? Does this seem to clarify any of the issues you guys are having with the Sling Adapter and accessing the content via DRA/DISHonline? If you are not at the minimum spec (and it is the minimum or it will not work) the issue you are having is likely ISP speed related, or overall network speed related.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, as you can see my bandwidth is fine. I use a 2wire 3700HVG Uverse modem and a 4-port Dynex switch. My 722 is connected via Ethernet cable. When connected to dishonline it shows streaming on good from 60-130Kbps, which doesn't give me a picture.
Something in my router I should check? My 722 is connected to the network, I checked and dishonline sees my 722

We have discovered there may be an issue in IE8 with the plug in running (someone with a very similar issue to yours). It may be settings related to IE8 specifically but I personally have had no problems with the plug in at all on IE8. They actually installed Firefox 3.6 and the issue was resolved through websites and streaming went up drastically, even with the limited bandwidth available in Alaska to DSL customers. You should try that or adjust the settings in IE8 to see if that works. Apparently the issue with IE8 was amplified with firewall settings as well (specifically AVG).

I see you posted 1.4Mbps upload, and required for HD is 3.0 Mbps, but the customer I was helping with this issue actually had a much smaller bandwidth and it was successful through Firefox. I dunno, but I am gonna play a lot this weekend and see what I can do (Sling Adapter is on its way).

Last edited:
I am having difficulty with remote access using my Sprint HTC Hero phone and my Vip 612 receiver. I have downloaded the android app onto the phone and can see the TV guide on the phone. I can also record a program in the future using the phone. Since I would also like to access my DVR recordings and watch TV, I purchased the wireless remote from Dish for $25 and set it up to access the internet using my Sprint Broadband card as the router. Following the set up directions, my receiver recognized my internet connection via the broadband card and shows a connection of 70+ (instructions stated a minimum of 60). When I go to the next step is when I get the error message that states I am not connected to the internet. Please advise me as to how to proceed.

Thanks,
Linda

Hey Linda. Sorry to bear bad news but there are a couple of things I wanted to point out. Your receiver is currently not capable of supporting TV/DVR viewing via any equipment other then a standalone SlingBox or other network media-streaming device and likely require an app that costs about $30. The app on your phone will only allow setup of recordings and managing the DVR remotely based on your equipment. You would need a minimum of a 722/k and a Sling Adapter in order to use the view live TV function via the android app.

Should you choose to upgrade equipment to allow this feature and capability through DISH Network I would like to point out one last check you would want to make. You mentioned using a Sprint Broadband card and that may have limited upload speeds which would hinder operation even with the appropriate equipment. In order to view live TV in HD via the Android app, you would need 150 kbps minimum upload. Via a computer that speed would have to be 3 Mbps or better. Verify those speeds first before making a decision to upgrade the equipment specifically for this feature.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts