Dish remote code to control a Sony XR-55A80J TV

Wirelezz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Rocky Mountain High
I'm hoping someone here might have been here before me and can provide me with the 4 digit code for the Sony XR-55A80J TV. Dish's pairing method has been nothing more than a frustrating exercise in futility! There are 42 codes showing for Sony TV's, the problem is I can't get beyond about the 5th code before I get kicked out with an "unknown error" popup message, which leaves you no choice but to start the process all over again. I once made it to the 14th code before the "unknown error" popped up, but no joy.

The alternative is to enter the Sony model number, but this doesn't bring up an exact match, and trying the first few close matches doesn't achieve any success either. In fact now, as if to add insult to injury, I'm getting this absurd message saying that only a maximum of 4 Brands (not models) per device can be programed per day and try again tomorrow. Are you kidding me!? I'm only trying to pair ONE brand -Sony!

Oh, and the 3rd "learning" option Dish offers where one places the 2 remotes close together etc. doesn't work either.

So here I am, hoping one of you might own the XR-55A80J TV and have successfully paired the dish remote and would be kind enough to share the code with me.

Thanks in advance!

Dish Error.JPG

If nobody can get you a code, what I would try tomorrow (or as soon as it starts working again, maybe a reboot will let you try again?) is to do the same pairing with the wizard up really close to the Hopper/Joey, I’ve found that while you can use the remote for normal operations from quite the distance, when its in setup mode its range decreases significantly because there is actual data being transmitted back and forward. Another thing to check if this is a Hopper 1/2/3 you are on is to make sure your UHF antenna is present and up vertically.

I hate the limited number of attempts BS. It's just stupid. Cripes, it's not like you're putting the wrong password into a Bank website. Make sure the TV button is lighting up when you try the volume and not the AUX light.
Well I'm not surprised that some one on here hasn't praised their Harmony remote yet.:)

The good thing is Sony uses their own operating system and most all TV's use a derivative of Google TV. I have an Sony XBR OLED A9G. Try A9G and I'd bet the most all the functions will match up.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have an XR55A90J, not exactly the same, but close. I remember the remote programming being a bit annoying at first but I got past it. The first code it suggested was only partially functional, but the second worked ok. I’m using 810 at the moment.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I hate the limited number of attempts BS. It's just stupid. Cripes, it's not like you're putting the wrong password into a Bank website. Make sure the TV button is lighting up when you try the volume and not the AUX light.
Well I'm back. HipKat nailed it! I finally got back to it this morning and I'll be damned that I didn't notice that the AUX light was lighting on every attempt. Pushed the TV button on the side of the 540 remote and instant joy!

The Sony XR-55A80J is replacing a Samsung UN50MU630D. The difference is like night and day. I found the picture to be jaw dropping stunning when testing it on a few of Netflix's Ultra HD 4K movies.

I guess now I'll have to upgrade the Joey3 to a 4K Joey...

Well I'm back. HipKat nailed it! I finally got back to it this morning and I'll be damned that I didn't notice that the AUX light was lighting on every attempt. Pushed the TV button on the side of the 540 remote and instant joy!

The Sony XR-55A80J is replacing a Samsung UN50MU630D. The difference is like night and day. I found the picture to be jaw dropping stunning when testing it on a few of Netflix's Ultra HD 4K movies.

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF
:)

You found where to change it you don't have to hit the TV button on the side?
If not, in Remote Control Settings, scroll down to where it says Volume and Mute Controls and make sure it says TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)