Dish Rolling Out Voice Remote Control

It's been a long time coming, but if it's anything like the 52.0 remote I will pass since I'm not that big on searching and perfer the larger 40.0 remote.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheLip
could a moderator please move this thread to the hopper forum i sure appreciate it very thanks Allen

We just got our dish set up with the hopper in early July. Wish it had come with the new remote.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

We just got our dish set up with the hopper in early July. Wish it had come with the new remote.

So call and see if you can get a free one! Lots of folks in the other thread who've been successful in talking Dish into one, since much of the early H3 press alluded to it coming with the 50 remote.

This is the answer to my elderly family who use Dish. The want, but can't use SEARCH and other features because the current remote is an intimidating number of buttons. They can only perform the most basic/necessary functions because they just blank out at the sheer scale of the current remotes. They have been waiting for this, especially the notion that the numbered pad is only visible when needed. Some of those old folks have fallen in love with the Roku if only because the remote is so simple.

I thought this new remote was to be available to all Hopper models. So, is this temporarily for the H3 only, or is that limitation to be permanent? We have HWS's s and won't be switching to the H3 until the new switch comes out.

FWIW, I think Dish is charging those who have H3's now or, more precisely, those who do not have one now, but I'll bet you that in coming shipments of H3's, it will include at least ONE new voice remote :). After all, Dish made people pay for the 8PSK module way back when. If you didn't cough up the money to be shipped an 8PSK module, you were SOL with no HD for which you were paying and had paid out of pocket for the Dish 6000.

I thought this new remote was to be available to all Hopper models. So, is this temporarily for the H3 only, or is that limitation to be permanent?

The new remote requires the new Carbon UI software which is currently only on the H3, or the HWS for folks who also have 4K Joeys. Those would be the only ones who could get the new remote now, until the Carbon UI is officially rolled out all of the older Hoppers. Once that happens, the 50 remote would be compatible with all the older Hoppers that ultimately get the new UI. Who knows when that might be, though.

FWIW, I think Dish is charging those who have H3's now or, more precisely, those who do not have one now

Officially, its $30 right now, but like I mentioned above, lots of folks in the other post have been making the argument that it was originally advertised as coming with the H3, and thus getting the $30 fee waived.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The new remote requires the new Carbon UI software which is currently only on the H3, or the HWS for folks who also have 4K Joeys. Those would be the only ones who could get the new remote now, until the Carbon UI is officially rolled out all of the older Hoppers. Once that happens, the 50 remote would be compatible with all the older Hoppers that ultimately get the new UI. Who knows when that might be, though.

Officially, its $30 right now, but like I mentioned above, lots of folks in the other post have been making the argument that it was originally advertised as coming with the H3, and thus getting the $30 fee waived.
Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, I had forgotten what you knew: that it required the Carbon UI. Once again. Thanks.

Oh yes, I seem to remember Dish suggesting no charge for the new remote. I still think that future shipments of H3's will have the new voice remote in it, therefore "FREE." I will say that I do remember Dish suggesting that Hopper's and HWS would have to pay for the new remote, of course Carbon UI was supposed to have been fully implemented by now.

However, for those who adopted to H3 before the new remotes release, it looks like Dish is saying "well, not for you guys will it be free." Sure, I get that it is probably a pretty hefty cost for Dish to cover every existing H3 owner what seemed to be promised: a free voice remote with the H3. Considering Dish's refusal to install H3's in a cost beyond what they see as reasonable--according to the spreadsheets--I have no doubt that Dish is gonna stick with all current H3 subscribers having to pay for the new remote, with a few exceptions, perhaps.

Dish has executives and departments of employees who do all the cost analysis and push for things like making good on promises, but it has been reported that Charlie Ergen--as CEO--still does his own cost analysis (he was a cost analyst at Frito-Lay, if I remember correctly) and crunching of numbers and announces what will be done. Ironically, Ergen is reported to be more often correct. I do disagree with the current H3 install limitations, and think Dish should try to find some way of getting the new voice remotes into the hands of current H3 subscribers. It costs money, but it could pay off in customer loyalty, positive attitude toward the company and preventing churn, especially now with Tribune stations not on Dish affecting some subscribers. It would be a nice "bone" to appease the customer.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So call and see if you can get a free one! Lots of folks in the other thread who've been successful in talking Dish into one, since much of the early H3 press alluded to it coming with the 50 remote.

I tried twice now with the DISH chat and was told that it was never meant to be bundled with the Hopper 3 and that if I wanted one I would have to pay the $30 for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)