Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok guys take this one with a grain of salt... (aka its a rumor!)

I am hearing from a long time informant (who has been on the money a majority of the time) that Dish Network is looking to partner together with Verizon to sell Dish Network services in Verizon areas.

Now as we currently know Verizon is currently partnered with DirecTV.

This one is making me go hmm.

It will be interesting to see if this one pans out or not. But with that said Dish Network really needs a partner in a really bad way.

The best outcome of that partnership would be for Verizon Wireless to not debit my sling box bandwidth from the 5Gb / month limit. Wouldn't that be dandy, Scott?

Dish will partner with apple to sell dish service over their new NET PAD or LAP TOP computer that will sell over the Verizon network in 2010-----rumor mill overtime except for the new class of portable computer due from apple next year it is all over the internet---Verizon is rumored to be selling this device as it will have a cell phone build in.

I am hearing from a long time informant (who has been on the money a majority of the time) that Dish Network is looking to partner together with Verizon to sell Dish Network services in Verizon areas.

It will be interesting to see if this one pans out or not. But with that said Dish Network really needs a partner in a really bad way.
On the surface, Verizon has absolutely no reason to partner with Dish Network since DirecTV fills that gap. However, now if Verizon could get a sweet deal by having EchoStar supply their set-top-boxes and DVRs in exchange for a reseller agreement for Dish Network service in non-FiOS territories...well, I think this could be a win-win situation for both parties.

Let me be clear...Dish Network needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Dish Network- the deal would have to make sense (i.g., dollars and cents) for Verizon. Personally, I would love to see the T2200S (aka Cable Ready 922) replace the less-than-stellar Motorola garbage used by Verizon. Although having a best HD DVR to go with their superior FiOS TV picture quality/value/reliability (same goes for FiOS Internet), the real value to Verizon would be the ability to sell add-on services using tru2way or other similar technology. As much as I love FiOS, you just know Verizon is going to charge a few bucks each month to enable the slingloaded capabilities of the T2200S.

Again, Verizon has little to gain by entering a reseller partnership with Dish Network so EchoStar will have to come to the table with something special; that something special could be a superior HD DVRs and set-top-boxes at very attractive prices. I probably shouldn't get too excited at this point since this is still a long-shot. We shall see...

Not true

On the surface, Verizon has absolutely no reason to partner with Dish Network since DirecTV fills that gap. However, now if Verizon could get a sweet deal by having EchoStar supply their set-top-boxes and DVRs in exchange for a reseller agreement for Dish Network service in non-FiOS territories...well, I think this could be a win-win situation for both parties.

Let me be clear...Dish Network needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Dish Network- the deal would have to make sense (i.g., dollars and cents) for Verizon. Personally, I would love to see the T2200S (aka Cable Ready 922) replace the less-than-stellar Motorola garbage used by Verizon. Although having a best HD DVR to go with their superior FiOS TV picture quality/value/reliability (same goes for FiOS Internet), the real value to Verizon would be the ability to sell add-on services using tru2way or other similar technology. As much as I love FiOS, you just know Verizon is going to charge a few bucks each month to enable the slingloaded capabilities of the T2200S.

Again, Verizon has little to gain by entering a reseller partnership with Dish Network so EchoStar will have to come to the table with something special; that something special could be a superior HD DVRs and set-top-boxes at very attractive prices. I probably shouldn't get too excited at this point since this is still a long-shot. We shall see...

I can't agree w/ this. Since it will take years for FIOS to be available throughout the entire US. It makes sense for Verizon to want to have a provider of satellite across the entire area that they cover. Maybe they can't get a deal worth beans anymore from Directv.

I can't agree w/ this. Since it will take years for FIOS to be available throughout the entire US. It makes sense for Verizon to want to have a provider of satellite across the entire area that they cover. Maybe they can't get a deal worth beans anymore from Directv.
Just like most cable operations, Verizon will never be nationwide. They have sizable operations in about 18 states and a presence in something like 26. I doubt that will change anytime soon: Verizon, AT&T, QWest all have there territories and there is very little overlap. As far as the Verizon territories, it will still take a number of years to build-out their with fiber due to the upfront costs and other logitical and political issues. We've had FiOS TV in my County (Virginia home) for the past 2 1/2 years, but it is still three miles and they currently pass less than 15% of the homes meeting the density requirement. The only requirement is for Verizon to pass 60% of eligible home at the 7-year mark (Oct 2013) and 80% of eligible home at the 10-year mark (Oct 2016). Unfortunately, rural America will once again be left out.

Regardless, Verizon should have between 3.2 - 3.4 million FiOS TV customers by the end of the year, which isn't chump change. I believe they recently passed Bright House Cable and are the nations 8th largest MSO (DirecTV and Dish Network included), and they will pass Cablevision for 7th during the 4th quarter. However, given their territories they will probably max-out in the 8-million subscriber range.

As far as Verizon's deal with DirecTV...I believe this is a symbiotic relationship: Verizon benefits by offering customers bundled services in non-FiOS areas, and DirecTV benefits by Verizon absorbing the administrative costs. The small discount for the the bundle probably goes to pay the administrative costs. In any case, I just don't see a compelling reason for Verizon to add Dish Network...without something else going on the side.

Here is another hint that I got...

Have you ever noticed that the 922 menus look a lot like the iPhone?

This could get interesting. (If its true)

Well the rumor may have some traction. I read on skyreport that Dish has reported a net sub loss of 95,000 in Q1 2009.
That's a big number. In the last 5 Q's Dish has lost a net 195,000 subs..
Not good..
Care to take a crack at what you think the problems may be?

Well didn't you say at CES that they were working on a Iphone application to work with the 922?

A large part of Verizon Customers are in New York... the home of the Yankees.

They cant sell Dish if they don't have the Yankees.
right. but how do they leap that great divide between Charlie and George?
And would not YES again claim the service needs to be a regular RSN?
Is that not what the original dispute surrounded? Plus the per sub cost?

yes. it's cool. But could you imagine trying to teach a 60 year old customer how to use that thing?

I would think that if they offered a choice of the traditional remote control vs the new one with the 922, it would be a lot easier. I can't imagine why the new remote control has no number buttons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts