Dish Rumored to launch internet only TV package by the end of the summer

It probably is how we grew up. I would not look forward to watch as much TV as I do now online as presently constituted. I can't imagine my wife finding each show she watches each time even if there was a season pass. Amazon for this, Hulu for that, Netflix for the other, the home site for this or that...
I do see that working for those who watch a limited amount of TV, or who grow up doing it I guess and of course if you just can't or won't pay what Cable/Satellite costs then so doing it.
Then there's the internet itself. When streaming there isn't enough bandwidth to also watch my Slingbox if it's viewing at my other house. I depend on that for sports in New England etc.. But if my wife is watching HBOGO (After I set it up for her lol) I can't reliably use the Slingbox.

I know I would not watch near as much TV if I went the pay per show route. The majority of the time in my house the TV is just on in the background. Everyday when I get home from work I turn on TBS to watch Seinfeld and make supper or mess around on my laptop. After that I either put on some sports, find another sitcom or maybe a movie. I am usually multitasking and rarely focus on just the TV unless I'm watching a really good movie.

Reactions: Mo Fly
To each his own. I like to browse through the channels to discover new things so I like a ton of options put in front of me which I can change depending on my mood.

Unless any issues crop up then it will be this year. ;)

We have the DISH new slogan!
Bugs will be fixed, unless any issues crop up. We will add that channel, unless any issues come up. That channel will be in HD unless any issues come up. We are the HD leader, unless any issues come up...... :biggrin:biggrin

May be the problem is how sat. company handle the issue, for example, if i make a very aggressive package, i put the ESPN suite channel, including GOLF, Tennis, FS1, RSN in a Sport theme package, if any provider does not like the idea simple i don't make the contract. The current AT250 cost $20.00 less. Making a virtual a la-carte package. The second is talk to other small provider to offered their channel a la-carte, (like Blaze or Viera) Theses channels that only available on AT200 and AT250 will be offered a la carte too, for example if customer wants WGN, the combination is: AT120+WGN.

And you would be out of business in the blink of an eye. If it worked that way DISH or others would be doing it. If ESPN doesn't want it, don't have a contract with ESPN?
Why do you think DISH (or maybe others) have not already talked to channels about them being available A La Carte, and why would WGN take themselves out of packages to have far far less people subscribe to them? They are no different than TLC or History, they all want to be in packages.

The package arrangement is to force a higher revenue when they are paid per subscriber from the provider, if their top channel is on the highest package, and you sub to that package, then they get paid for all the other crap you don't want. This is not dish, twc, dtv etc fault. Dish used to have a pickem package, and companies like Viacom complained, and now has these packages. Gone forever are the complete ala carte packages. Just be glad you can get what you can ala carte, such as epix, encore and many others.

I might disagree that A La Carte is gone forever. In fact it exists now online and some form could reappear by carriers if enough people drop traditional TV or even keep dropping down to lower packages. The program providers could start to agree to some form of it. Now the impact of that may not be what some people think unless they have read prior threads here about A La Carte.

Ohh. I wasn't saying it's gone forever. I was saying the idea of a large ala carte option was. Internet streaming will be about the best it will get.

If you look at the Aereo Supreme Court decision, the court basically said that Aereo must pay retransmission fees, regardless of the actual technology used to deliver the service. So Aereo, according to the court, is like a cable company - a pay TV provider that uses the Internet as it's lines. Because it forces Aereo to negotiate for the local channels, I think it also opens the door for them to negotiate for cable channels as well.

That could go two ways. Aereo could be forced to bundle ESPN with your local ABC O&O. That would actually be fantastic. It would legitimize the Internet Cable Company and open the floodgates to hundreds of such new firms.

Or they (Disney in this case) might refuse to license anything at all to Aereo. Being that Aereo is now a de-facto non-cable pay TV provider, they could file a complaint with the FCC (although Aereo would be in an even stronger position before the program access rules were killed - very interesting).

The only reason I came off being a Cord Cutter is Football. They offer ESPN, NFL Network, RedZone, the conference networks, I am there. Oh, and CNN for the wife. It would also need to be a saving over what I pay now, $97 for 3 TVs and Dish 120+. I have a no cap business internet account so that's not an issue. Comcast throttling would be though. I also an not under Dish contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts