Please reply by conversation.

shanklej

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Ocala fl
Thanks for any help.
Equipment: Linkbox 9000i, Titanium ASc1, 10' mesh, Titanium c/ku lnbf

This is going to be difficult for me to explain.
I programmed the C-band from Intelsat 21 to Galaxy23 and everything
seemed to work fine. Then I started programming the KU-band from
Gaxaly23 to Intelsat21. When I finished programming Intelsat 21 the
dish started running to Amc9. I checked the position numbers I keyed
in for those sats and they are correct 11(Amc9) and 1(Intelsat21). I also
reset the software limits. Then I ran the dish down to Intelsat21 and
set a new software limit. This didn't do any good at all. Dish will still run
from Amc9 to Intelsat 21 and vic versa.

I won't do anything about this problem until I hear from you guys.
What I think I need to do is a global reset and start from scratch.
I will copy the click count for all sats before I do this.

I am not following the events that caused the dish to move to AMC9. After the dish moved to AMC9, what is the DiSEqC 1.2 Motor position number assignment displayed on the top line of the ASC1 display? What satellite name or satellite channel is currently selected in the Linkbox?

Remember, the dish will automatically move to a satellite position based on any channel selection or any satellite selection that is made on the Linkbox. If you are in any menu in the Linkbox and change to a satellite that has been previously programmed, the dish will automatically move to the satellite.

Why reset the software limits again? The software limits only stop the dish from moving to a position that is past the arc of satellites that you are covering to prevnt damage to the dish or motor. The East and West software limits have no effect on the movement between programmed satellite positions that are between the previously saved East and West limits.

Are you moving the dish East/West and saving the DiSEqC 1.2 motor position number assignments only using the Linkbox DiSEqC 1.2 Install Menu screen, or are you using the ASC1 front panel (or ASC1 remote), or using both the Linkbox and the ASC1?

What are the DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment numbers that were programmed for C-band? Please list the satellite name and the corresponding DiSeqC 1.2 motor assignment number for each.

What are the DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment numbers that you are attempting to use for the KU-band satellite list? Please list the satellite name and the corresponding DiSeqC 1.2 motor assignment number for each.

Thanks Brian.
I'll answer the easy one first:
position # satellite
by me name
1 Intellsat21 --- 22 amc15/ams18
11 amc9 --- 23 anik f1r
13 ses2 --- 24 echostar11
15 galaxy 17 --- 25 anik f2
17 galaxy 3c --- 26 eutelsat 113w
18 galaxy19 --- 27 eutelsat 117w
19 galaxy 16 --- 28 anik f3
21 amc1 --- 29 echostar7/14
30 galaxy23
I used the same position # for all the KU sats.
I used the Linkbox to assign all the position numbers.
I only reset the limits because an error message appears
on the ASC1 when I am no where near the limits.
Obviously I am doing something terribly wrong.
One excuse I have is the remote is so small I could
be hitting the wrong keys.

From your 1st paragraph I think I see my error.
I have been keying for EX: 001 on the ASC1 and
expecting it to take me to Intelsat21 when I should
point the Linkbox to Intelsat21 instead. Which of the 2
windows on the Linkbox should I use to do this?
If I have not explained this very good just ask again
and I will give it another shot.

Have you tried this, Shanklej?

Assuming the Sats are programmed and scanned in correctly on the LinkBox:
Turn everything on.Do you have a channel on the screen?
If so, on the LinkBox remote.Hit 'OK'. A window pops up with the Sat info and channels.
Hit either left or right arrow to scroll thru the Satellites.
Find the Satellite you want. Hit 'OK'.
The LinkBox automagically swings the dish to that satellite.

If you are reusing the same DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Number assignment, for both C and KU satellites, the dish must either be at the correct location when the number is reused, or the ASC1 power must be OFF (or in Standby). Failure to either power OFF the ASC1 or to have the dish the correct position (motor count) when pressing DiSEqC 1.2 Position Number "Save" on the Linkbox for a second satellite, will overwrite the ASC1's original dish count position with the current dish position. This is the way that all DiSEqC 1.2 motor controllers work.

Example: Intelsat 21 C-band is saved as DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Assignment #1 in the Linkbox and the ASC1 shows 001 on the top line and Position: 0000 count on the second line. To save the same motor assignment # 001 for Intelsat 21 KU-band the ASC1 must be either powered OFF to prevent the Position: 0000 count to be overwritten with the current dish count position or the dish must be positioned at count 0000 when saving DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Position Assignment Number #001.

A DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Assignment Number is correctly saved by the Linkbox when the Linkbox and the ASC1 shows the same motor number assignment. The ASC1 will show the motor assignment number on the top line with the corresponding Position Count Number on the 2nd line.

Once the satellites are programmed by the Linkbox to both Linkbox and the ASC1, then the satellite selection is made with the Linkbox. If you are watching TV, just change channels and if the next selected channel is on another satellite, the Linkbox tells the ASC1 what motor assignment number and the polarity. The ASC1 remembers what dish position count you saved and drives the dish to the correct position count number and sends the correct volatge to the LNBF to select the correct polarity.

If you are in any Linkbox menu or list, just select the desired channel, satellite or transponder. The Linkbox sees your selection and tells the ASC1 what motor assignment number and the polarity. The ASC1 remembers what dish position count you previously saved and drives the dish to the correct position count number and sends the correct voltage to the LNBF to select the correct polarity. Doesn't matter if you are scanning for new channels, channel surfing, toggling through a chanel list or adjusting an installation screen parameter, the Linkbox automatically tells the ASC1 what satellite or polarity that you have selected. No need to go into the DISEqC 1.2 sub menu unless you wish to change a motor parameter like position or assignment number.

A conflict will occur if the Linkbox is tuned to one satellite and you select manually select a different satellite on the ASC1. The Linkbox will see that the tuned signal is lost and automatically start sending commands to the ASC1 to try and reacquire the selected satellite. This will cause the ASC1 tyo move back to the satellite that is selected on the Linkbox. You can manually bump the motor position and or resave using the ASC1 remote or front panel, but the Linkbox is in control of the satellite selection.

Note: The ASC1 navigation arrow (on the left side of the display) should not be parked on Horizontal or Vertical polarity as this selection will manually override the Linkbox's polarity selection.

At this point it is probably best to perform a global reset on the ASC1 with the position count where you want to reference 0000. It would also be best practice to perform a factory reset on the Linkbox to reset any incorrect motor assignments and other settings that might have been set during the programming and aiming attempts.

Thanks Brian for your reply.
Also thanks armadillo.
It's going to take me quite awhile to absorb
everything in your last message Brian.
But your 1st paragraph is bothering me.
I seem to remember in another thread
in this forum that the Linkbox would not work
with different position numbers assigned for
C-band and KU-band. I seem to recall stating
that the C-band numbers go from 1 to 30 and
the KU-band from 50 to 80. I can't remember
who said that wouldn't work on a Linkbox 9000i.
That is why I used the same numbers.
I agree it didn't make any sense to me. I'll
have to study your last message before I
can get a handle on this.

I did factory reset on the Linkbox 9000i and a global reset on the ASC1.
My plan is to get 1 sat up and running on C/KU. Also I am trying to set the C-band
sats to even numbers and the KU sats to odd numbers. The Linkbox seems to
accept this ok.
I get the C-band on Intelsat21c fine. Set to one.
The KU is another story. So far I can get no signal on Intelsat21 KU. Set to two.

All this stopped the dish from running from one end to the other.

Are you programming the Linkbox to switch between C or KU LNB on each satellite?

58w SatSig.jpg

https://satsignature.com/plot/atlantic/intelsat-21
Sat Signature website Spectrum shows both H and V KU transponders for Sky Mexico, but I can't see 58W from my location. Not sure if it has any FTA KU channels?

I've never seen anything ITC on 58W Ku. Almost everything is on the Brazil beam anyway.

I believe there is 1 scrambled tv channel on the america/europe beam and there are a few data streams

Reactions: Titanium
Guess what I saw was something else and not Intelsat21 KU.
I looked at the various lists and did not see anything for
Intelsat21 KU. Sorry....
Up to my eyeballs - computer disaster and the Big dish:(

Some progress. I have managed to reprogram the dish
from 58W to 107.3w for C and KU.
From 110W to 121W I get no signal at all. I'm doing the
same thing that I did on all the other sats that I programmed.
Maybe I have exceeded the Linkbox 9000i's capacity.

The few satellites and the few hundred channels scanned is a fraction of the capacity of the Linkbox 9000i. The receiver has capacity of hundreds of satellites and 10,000 channels.... much more memory available than we would every use in North America. Likely be a tracking or menu setting issue.

Here are some active transponders from my system moving west of 107.3:

C-band:
111.1W - 4103 H 4143
113w - 3880 V 30000
116.8w - 4120 V 30000
121w - 3840 H 30000
123w - 4020 H 30000
125w - 3900 V 29078

KU-Band:
111.1W - 11775 V 5000 or 12588 H 20000 (no TV)
113w - 11995 V 4340
116.8w - 12060 H 30000
118.8w - 12185 V 20000
121w - 12016 V 20000
123w - 12077 V 3680
125w - 12180 V 30000

Thanks for your help Brian,
I am tad confused. Somewhere you stated that a blind scan
will pull in all active transponders. So why do I have to worry
what a strong transponder is??

To find the satellite, it is much easier to locate, identify and optimize the signal quality by using a known active transponder. A long time ago, I had referred to to visit www.sathint.com to find an active transponder for each satellite that you wished to locate.

Easiest way to find a satellite:
Select or enter an active transponder on the satellite that you are trying to locate.
Move the dish slowly towards the satellite position until the Signal Quality meter reading is optimized.
Perform a Blind Scan to log all active transponders and channels on the satellite.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts