Dish Says No For 722 Upgrade/Exchange

Hardly. What makes Tivo "way better" as you call it?

Well, You can download programs through the ethernet - oops! that doesn't work with the S3.

Or, you can connect your satellite box to it and record - OOPS! that doesn't work with the S3, either.

Or, you can record all your cable HD shows on it - OOPS you have to have a cable card and that doesn't work really well either.

NEVER MIND!!

When you call in, can you specify a 722 or do you have to take what is in the warehouse (ie:622 or 722)?

Last edited:
I have had mine for 18 months, I think I'll be able to do the dish'n it up for $49 after rebate.

They usually want you to have the same receiver for ONE year before upgrading.

I also can do the upgrade 2 722s for 2 622s. I was quoted $199 each less $100 each. So if anyone else gets the $49 let us know how.

Well i cant remember when but i think this was discussed somewhere else.
My perspective is that it depends on the channel and also just as much on the TV set itself.
Different people have said that the sd quality sucks. well on almost all channels i watch on my panasonic plasma or my sony LCD, the PQ is ok, not fantastic but it is SD !
For me all the sd channel's are definately watchable.

I know others are going to disagree but .......

BTW i suspect you had an 811 not an 822.

You could be right. All I know is that HD rec. SUCKED on SD chs. I will do another lease with Dish and I don't want another Rec./DVR that only has a good picture with HD chs. So, do you know for sure that the unit I want will deliver exc. PQ? I wouldn't want to have to return it after it's installed like the last time I had a HD rec. from Dish.

On another note: ATT sent me an offer for DSL that runs @ 6 MB on d-loads for $42.95/mo. with no contract. I pay $57.95 from cable for their HSI. I can't wait to say goodbye to that horrible On Demand service they have!!

Don't blame the poor quality SD picture on Dish, it is your tv that determines the quality of the SD picture. Some tv's do a better job than others. MY Toshiba does an excellent job with SD pictures.

So, do you know for sure that the unit I want will deliver exc. PQ? I wouldn't want to have to return it after it's installed like the last time I had a HD rec. from Dish.

This mostly depends on your display and how you have it hooked up.

SD looks excellent on my 32" CRT and HD looks fantastic on my Optoma HD70. What you look at tv on could be the problem.

I also can do the upgrade 2 722s for 2 622s. I was quoted $199 each less $100 each. So if anyone else gets the $49 let us know how.

I tried another CSR. The news got worse. I cannot get 2 722s due to a 3 tuner limit per Dish-it-up promotion. So I can only replace one and have to wait 12 months to do another dish-it-up. The cost though was consistent $199 to go from 622 to 722.There is a $100 bonus rebate available when the form is submitted within a 60 day time period. When I questioned the $149 price to get a HD-DVR in the equipment upgrade, I was told it was probably a 622 for a non HD-DVR or non DVR HD/SD receiver. I think we need to wait a couple of weeks to let this settle down and all CSRs get to know that they are not shipping 622s anymore.

When you call in, can you specify a 722 or do you have to take what is in the warehouse (ie:622 or 722)?

.... I think we need to wait a couple of weeks to let this settle down and all CSRs get to know that they are not shipping 622s anymore.

You have to take whatever is in the warehouse. Yes, they will continue to ship ViP622s until they run out, or reach some "swap-out" reserve level they have set. If they had no reserve level, I suspect there would be an awful lot of ViP622s going bad, replaced by ViP722s! :p

Best to wait until it's posted here that they are only shipping ViP722s.

Shoot...I should have waited 2 months to upgrade to HD! I got a 622 but I'd like the extra record times of the 722. Is there any other reason not to like the 622? I guess I can always add an EHD to my 622

You are indeed misinformed if you think the finished product price is a cost of $100 to Dish to manufacture these. The R&D time alone is over that untill enough are sold.

Also I am failing to see how a Tivo is better than the current (622- 722) Dish receivers. At one time, some time ago I would agree Tivo was better overall. But in recent times Dish has improved greatly on their receivers.

Tivo is slow, makes stupid noises and has other features many dislike, others learn to love/live with.

No thanks, I'll keep my ViP622. And hope Tivo descends from this earth, down to where their lawyers dwell.

Don't blame the poor quality SD picture on Dish, it is your tv that determines the quality of the SD picture. Some tv's do a better job than others. MY Toshiba does an excellent job with SD pictures.

NO, You are misreading what I said. I had very good service from Dish on my last lease. I simply exchanged the rec. that had poor PQ on SD chs. for a non HD DVR/rec. which performed great. I bought an HD TV last month and went with a promo from cable because I have their HSI. I am NOT happy with the poor picture cable has on analog chs. & their On Demand sucks if it works at all.

I asked the question regarding the SD PQ on a specific rec./DVR from Dish- the VIP- 722 DVR. Do you have one? If so, how good is the PQ on SD chs.? I am going back to Dish as I am very dissatisfied with cable. I bought a top of the line Sony XBR- 60" HD set to replace my 6 yr. old Mitsubishi 53" projection set. I got lucky & sold it for $350 to my next door neighbor who loves it.

I was very happy with Dish.

TIVO's are way better than Dish network DVR's.... of course if you consider the $650 price and the monthly fees you then have to decide if it is worth that.
Unfortunately, the TiVo branded DVR only works with selected cable services that sufficiently support CableCard 1.x. They don't work with DISH Network (or DIRECTV or many mom&pop CATV outfits).

THE 811- God help us all. Lasted one month and I upgraded this through dishdepot.com for a 921 for much more money but a much better picture on sd channels.

Ah - well he has nothing to wory about then. The 942 and 622 are both much better and I'm sure th 722 will be just like the 622.

We had a meeting today and read the official rules for 722 vs 622 installs and upgrades and replacements. All new sales through e* are to be 722s, you can not replace a 722 with 622 on service call but you CAN replace a 622 with 722 on service call (if you have to-ie don't have a 622) 622 are to be used on DIU promos from 522/625 or what ever. There is NO additional fee when ordering a new system to get a 722 over a 622. But until all 622's are gone there is no guarantee you will get a 722 if you order a HD DVR. My HDMI just went out a month ago :D so as soon as we get rid of our stock off 622s (hopefully a couple weeks) I will upgrade to a 722 via a service call :D

THE 811- God help us all. Lasted one month and I upgraded this through dishdepot.com for a 921 for much more money but a much better picture on sd channels.

Thank you Brother! It sounds like the same pile of junk I was stuck with for about 1 month. :cool:

We had a meeting today and read the official rules for 722 vs 622 installs and upgrades and replacements. All new sales through e* are to be 722s, you can not replace a 722 with 622 on service call but you CAN replace a 622 with 722 on service call (if you have to-ie don't have a 622) 622 are to be used on DIU promos from 522/625 or what ever. There is NO additional fee when ordering a new system to get a 722 over a 622. But until all 622's are gone there is no guarantee you will get a 722 if you order a HD DVR. My HDMI just went out a month ago :D so as soon as we get rid of our stock off 622s (hopefully a couple weeks) I will upgrade to a 722 via a service call :D

Your HDMI went out? That is as bad as it gets for HD-1080 Res. That cable really makes a difference on my Sony. Bummer on the jack. I take it a 722 is the hot Rec. right now. And it sounds like it works well, also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)