Dish Service Call...

Andyman33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
What a joke...I have had a 622 for about 1 year now and last month the tv2 output goes bad and so I know that I need a new box. I've only been a dish customer for about 1 year and have been a cable customer most of my life...so far I've liked the dish...but their so called repair/service/home protection plan in my eyes is a complete joke. I KNEW that it was a hardware failure...I knew this by taking out all the wiring and just doing it with the 2nd tv next to the box...also did it by air and got nothing so obviously it was all the box. Dish, however, doesn't have something where you can just swap out the box. Instead a service guy comes and does everything I did and then says, yup guess you need a new box. That goes off without a hitch, I get the new box, it works fine. I get my bill today and see a 29 dollar service charge on my account. I'm like WHAT?!??!!? I was never told that I'd be charged this and was VERY upset about this charge I was untold about. I'm sure many of yyou will say, its in yoour contract blah blah blah.....but when this is NEVER a charge at cable this is a complete surprise...so I guess my question is...WHY does dish do this yet cable doesnt' have to. This MAY be the reason we go back to cable from DISH...we've liked dish, but if ANYTHING goes wrong they seem to charge you...oh and their argument was, it should be 49.99 so you're getting a deal by having the DHPP. Am I nuts???

What a joke...I have had a 622 for about 1 year now and last month the tv2 output goes bad and so I know that I need a new box. I've only been a dish customer for about 1 year and have been a cable customer most of my life...so far I've liked the dish...but their so called repair/service/home protection plan in my eyes is a complete joke. I KNEW that it was a hardware failure...I knew this by taking out all the wiring and just doing it with the 2nd tv next to the box...also did it by air and got nothing so obviously it was all the box. Dish, however, doesn't have something where you can just swap out the box. Instead a service guy comes and does everything I did and then says, yup guess you need a new box. That goes off without a hitch, I get the new box, it works fine. I get my bill today and see a 29 dollar service charge on my account. I'm like WHAT?!??!!? I was never told that I'd be charged this and was VERY upset about this charge I was untold about. I'm sure many of yyou will say, its in yoour contract blah blah blah.....but when this is NEVER a charge at cable this is a complete surprise...so I guess my question is...WHY does dish do this yet cable doesnt' have to. This MAY be the reason we go back to cable from DISH...we've liked dish, but if ANYTHING goes wrong they seem to charge you...oh and their argument was, it should be 49.99 so you're getting a deal by having the DHPP. Am I nuts???

actually it should have been $99 but you are getting DHPP, so...

The $29 is a service call fee that is in the DHPP agreement so you really don't have a complaint. BUT is your 622 out of warranty I believe it has a 1YR. warranty? Also are you leasing the 622 if you are leasing that 622 isn't yours it belongs to DISH and there should be a very good argument that it is there responsibility to provide you with working equipment just like a cable company does. Call their bluff and they will probably back down on the $29 charge

You just discovered the difference between "renting" vs. "leasing". When you lease a car, you're still responsible for the maintenance and care of said vehicle. The same business model applies when you lease a receiver from Dish, versus renting a cable box.

As to comparing Dish to cable; think about the monthly price difference. The service/maint. charges are built into your traditional cable bill, hence the higher monthly rate. As opposed to Dish, where it is not.

Ok.. So if I come out and install your system. And I got paid once to do the install.. And I am not on anyone's payroll. But I should come visit you to fix your stuff for the rest of my life for free.. Sorry.. My truck don't roll for free...

They charge $29-$99 so I don't get stuck going to granny's house every two days to turn her TV back on channel 3.

It deters people from abusing the system.

I agree that the local installers SHOULD get paid...but I also believe that it should come out of DISH's pocket, not my own. And yes I am leasing and yes I am under warranty. THEY DID refund the 29 bucks...HOWEVER, to say that I'm leasing the box like a car is ridiculous. My money that I gave at the beginning and my monthly charges are NOT going towards the box so that I can purchase it at the end of my "lease"...so that is NOT a good analogy...

Also...why not have the option that after you do all the bs on the phone and its an obviously defective unit to take it in yourself for a swap-out?

I have never been charged a service fee. I do all the swap outs myself. If I have a defected box, when happens often. I call Dish Network, explain to them what is the issue. They ship me out the new box and I install it. And now you even activate the new boxes over the Internet.

When you have an issue with your receiver, try to avoid having a Tech coming out to fix your problem. Ask for a replacement box and fix it yourself. You won't be charged for the service and it is easy to fix it yourself.

Over the past three years I have replaced, 1 322 dual receiver, 3 VIP211 and 1 VIP622. And never been charge a service fee when I'm doing the service.

I have been doing dish for a while now and I have never seen the TV2 output go bad. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't very common. Most times it is either the TV is set to the wrong channel or is is set to 'cable' instead of 'air'. Thats probably why your CSR sent a tech out, just to make sure it was set up properly. You may have a pretty good understanding of how your system works, but trust me, most customers dont.

On a side note...the other day I was on a service call where the customer wasn't getting any signal on their 301. I replaced the box and JUMANJI there was the signal. I called in to activate the replacement and the CSR refused to activate it without first going through troubleshooting on the old box. I was like 'Lady what do you think I've spent the last 20 minutes out here doing?' I got her supervisor on the phone and he took care of it.

I agree that the local installers SHOULD get paid...but I also believe that it should come out of DISH's pocket, not my own. And yes I am leasing and yes I am under warranty. THEY DID refund the 29 bucks...HOWEVER, to say that I'm leasing the box like a car is ridiculous. My money that I gave at the beginning and my monthly charges are NOT going towards the box so that I can purchase it at the end of my "lease"...so that is NOT a good analogy...

Analogy or not, it is still a lease from Dish. When you lease a car, you have the option to purchase. Dish's lease does not have said option.. Furthermore I *ALSO* stated your monthly bill is less than a comparable cable bill. The cable company charges more due in part, to the maintenance overhead charges being built in.

Your $$ was reimbursed, so I'm not sure if this was a rant or a vent.

Anthony1...they made it sound like this was NEVER an option. TO know that makes me feel a lot better about the situation!! As for the cable being more, that is debatable as I believe they are almost exactly the same after promotions etc are all "up" ... the difference is content which dish is WAY more.

I have been doing dish for a while now and I have never seen the TV2 output go bad. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't very common. Most times it is either the TV is set to the wrong channel or is is set to 'cable' instead of 'air'. Thats probably why your CSR sent a tech out, just to make sure it was set up properly. You may have a pretty good understanding of how your system works, but trust me, most customers dont.

On a side note...the other day I was on a service call where the customer wasn't getting any signal on their 301. I replaced the box and JUMANJI there was the signal. I called in to activate the replacement and the CSR refused to activate it without first going through troubleshooting on the old box. I was like 'Lady what do you think I've spent the last 20 minutes out here doing?' I got her supervisor on the phone and he took care of it.

I had a Black & White issue on my VIP622, where when using the Super Video or RCA cable to my TV the image was in Black & White only. A shortcut to correct this program was to unplug the receiver for about 10 seconds or so. Issue would correct it's self. But if I powered down the system and came back later, the issue was back to Black & White. So I replaced the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts