Dish Service Sux

cander

Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
This is one of those things that happen that I would normally just let go. But after seeing MattJ2124's post, that DISH is policing this forum, I thought what the hell, I'll relate my experience to all with the chance that someone at Dish really gives a damn.
About three months ago I finally got fed up with Time Warner Cable (Raleigh NC) and chose DISH as it was low cost to get into and there was no contract. Very tall trees surround my house/neighborhood. There is one hole in the trees facing the southwest where a dish could be aimed but the dish has to be on the roof. First installer came out, made the determination that the dish had to go on the roof, but it had been raining (roof wet) so he couldn't get on the roof. He rescheduled the install. Second installers (2 of them) came out. One guy ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and spent 15 minutes telling me why the dish couldn't be mounted on the roof. While “Chicken” was running around, the second guy was mounting the dish on the edge of the roof where he barely had line of site with the satellite. At this time there were few leaves on the trees. The signal strength was just at 70%, but the reception looked great (compared to TWC analog). They were connecting two TV’s to a dual receiver, but they couldn’t get the second set to work. Chicken said the cable was bad. This is the same cable that was working with TWC hours earlier. Then Chicken figured out it was the TV. I carried the set downstairs where we connected it to the cable that was working on the big TV. Magically it worked. This went on about an hour and a half until the other installer checked the diplexers that Chicken had installed. Chicken had put the diplexers in backwards. Once the diplexers were installed correctly, we had very good reception to both TV’s and the installers left. Two months later and with the growth of leaves on the trees, we began losing the signal when the wind would blow. All it took was a slight breeze and the satellite was gone. Called for service, which I think is in India, explained the problem, scheduled and appointment, 12 to 5, and no one showed up or called. Called India again, explained the problem, scheduled another appointment, 8 to 12, and no one showed up or called. Called India again, told them to come get their equipment. Immediately transferred to someone in US where they were told to come get their equipment. They said they would send the boxes. Within minutes the service was terminated. Called India again. Could not transfer me to the person I spoke with but did finally get someone stateside. Service was turned back on, free for one month and they would send the boxes. Still waiting for the boxes. Signal goes out when the wind blows. DISH is absolutely worse than cable. Getting DirectTV.

If the dish can raise on the roof, there should not be a problem. From your information, the dish is just a bit lower the grown tree leave to obtain good signal, this can be solve raise the dish 5 foot and secure the pole on a tri-post, this will give you at least 5 years without problem, of cause, if the tree keep grow up, nothing we can do, but I believe tree like anything else, it has a limit.

I don't like the word " chicken", this is really hurting that guy's feeling if he heard this. LOL

Anyway, if that is an experienced installer, LOS problem is a minimum, because they can find way to do the installation, of cause, anything beyond the standard procedure is extra, but they get thing done and done it at the correct procedures.

I still do not understand why peoples order this from some company hundred of miles away and the installation from a company or guy not in the local, now, that when you get problem need the system fix, you sure will get a run around or worst, someone maybe two weeks before come to check it out, I did some installation for those installation company and saw order hang around month without any taker.

My head hurts so bad...
frown.gif

If I were at your house and the best I could get is 70's for signal strength, you wouldn't be paying for dish today. There are fairly clear limits about line of sight and if they can't be reached, it doesn't go in. It doesn't do anyone any good to install a dish with signal levels at their bottom margin for operability. The subscriber gets inconsistent service and gets upset, then the installer/contractor/rsp/lsc ends up sending someone out to try and fix it, adding to the overall cost of adding that subscriber.

Post was turning into a novel, but all that was needed (and all I wanted) was to move the dish up the roof which would have cleared the top of the tree(s). The installers just didn't want to get on the roof and I would have paid an additional cost to do so if given that option. Guess I could have done it myself, but couldn't stretch the coax. That and I didn't want to get on the roof. :D The installer that seemed to know what he was doing made a comment while mounting the dish, that the Directv satellites are higher in the sky and their signal would clear the trees. Being a novice to satellite I don't know if this is true or not. Maybe someone here can verify. As far as getting DISH to trim the trees, Chicken couldn't find his butt with both hands tied behind him. Could you imagine him with a saw in the top of a 60' oak tree? OBTW, just ordered the Directv DVR receivers. I'll let you know how the install goes on their dish. Don't suppose they could use the same holes in my roof? Point of all this is that customer service does matter. If you set an appointment and you can't make it, pick up Bell's invention and let the customer know. In most cases the customer will be O.K. with the delay and happy that you extended a simple courtesy.

I understand your frustration but I have to say that I totally agree with sksatellite's statement about using local retailers. You always have them IN TOWN (as opposed to India) and they will make problems right because otherwise their credibility is damaged. Sorry to hear about the problems though. I hope Chicken's twin brother doesn't work for DirectTV......

Way I see it half the problem is how installers are paid. They are subcontractors that are paid per install. There is no incentive to do it right or go out of their way because the longer they take to do an installs the less they make. There goal is to do as absolute little as possible to get you a picture and get out of there as fast as they can.

AlaJoe, you are right, some of this subcontractor are only getting $60 for single and if this is a two peoples team, they are not making enough on an installation. In this case, I don't even think they are grounding the system, but hope they did. Because there lots of these kind of installation are cutting corner to save cost.

A lot of installers don't like putting ANY dishes on a roof. If any subsequent leaks happen or there are any problems, it's just too easy to blame "those people that put holes in my roof." It's just too much of a liability issue for some installers.

Stacy A said:
A lot of installers don't like putting ANY dishes on a roof. If any subsequent leaks happen or there are any problems, it's just too easy to blame "those people that put holes in my roof." It's just too much of a liability issue for some installers.

You right, those installers are not qualify installers, I had see lots of those guys did put dish on roof but never apply any sealant. And ooh boy, dish is at middle of roof, thats what make the roof leak. :( :no

Said I would give an update when I got Directv installed, but first another call to Dish/India. Told them I was discontinuing the service and to send the boxes so I could return their equipment. The rep wants to give me a free month. I told her I was taking the dish off the house as Directv was coming the next day to install their equipment. She gives me a free month in case I don't like Directv. The dish is laying in the garage and the receiver is sitting on the coffee table, but I have a free month of DISH. Dumb assess. I hate dumb asses!
Directv installers were due out and did something DISH is incapable of doing. They called to let my wife know when they would be at our house! What an idea! Keeping the customer informed! Directv like dish wanted no part of putting the dish on the roof. They were able to mount it on a wall where the dish wasn't too conspicuous. It is a triple lnb dish with four outputs. They ran four new cables to the wiring panel, installed 2 RC10 receivers with 92+ signal strength. Don't want to hurt the Dish owners feelings but Directv w/Directivo is outstanding! Son came down a week later and said his receiver wasn't communicating with Directv. Sure enough, no dial tone. Started to get pissed because the installers said they set up everything. Checked the line and it turns out, yours truly never connected the phone line to the patch panel. The installers had taken the receiver to another jack and set it up. Once the phone line was punched down, the receiver could call home. There was a message (as it turned out, an old one) that said the receiver wasn't set up and to call directv. Dreading it and expecting to get someone in BF Egypt I called and got, "An American!" So nice to get someone that speaks english and that could help. One call, no transfers, no holding, one call!
We have been totally satisfied with Directv and can say after briefly having DISH that DISH is total crap. Anyone considering which one to go with, save yourself time and aggravation, get Directv. Better install, better equipment, better programming. Can't vouch for their service because we haven't had any problems! You know, I guess I should thank the DISH service people, because if it weren't for their crappy service I would never have gone to Directv! Now I have to call DISH/India to try and get them to send the boxes so I can return their equipment. What a pain!

cander said:
...We have been totally satisfied with Directv and can say after briefly having DISH that DISH is total crap. Anyone considering which one to go with, save yourself time and aggravation, get Directv. Better install, better equipment, better programming. Can't vouch for their service because we haven't had any problems! You know, I guess I should thank the DISH service people, because if it weren't for their crappy service I would never have gone to Directv! Now I have to call DISH/India to try and get them to send the boxes so I can return their equipment. What a pain!

Thanks for your OPINION but that is just what that is, your opinion! My experience is just the opposite as is that of the friends whom I have referred and are also now enjoying Dish and it's products. Glad your happy with Direct and that it is meeting all your needs, but for those that are reading, I gotta tell you, I have Dish, haven't had a problem with Dish, and would recommend it to anyone that asked! I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

cander said:
The installer that seemed to know what he was doing made a comment while mounting the dish, that the Directv satellites are higher in the sky and their signal would clear the trees.
You know, this is actually a pretty important consideration for those with tall trees in their yard. Indeed, the Directv satellite is about 7° higher than the Dish Network one here in Alabama. For me, that difference was enough to clear two tall pine trees by 20 ft or so.

Do you have locals? The locals come from the sat 119 orbital location, the same location as E*'s main satellite. All of that means that you could probably have had just as good service from E*.

When I worked in cable, many contractors had a "chicken" to do things the main guy did not want to do, crawling in crawlspaces, digging, etc.... That might have been the case in your situation.

Sorry you did not have nice installers. I always got excellent service from the installers in my area.

LOL :haha The satellite signal doesn't go thru trees/branches/leaves. DTV will have the same issues. I'm tired of customers that don't take responsibility. ITS YOUR PROBLEM not theirs!!!!! Trim the trees!!!! Its called line-of-sight. Unless your superman with x-ray vision, line-of-sight doesn't exclude trees!

Slamminc11 said:
Thanks for your OPINION but that is just what that is, your opinion! My experience is just the opposite as is that of the friends whom I have referred and are also now enjoying Dish and it's products. Glad your happy with Direct and that it is meeting all your needs, but for those that are reading, I gotta tell you, I have Dish, haven't had a problem with Dish, and would recommend it to anyone that asked! I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.
Same here, when I had D* cancelled, they came 8 months later, claiming that I am still with them - which was absolutely BS - (btw those money sharkes came NOT from India- but USA !)
So I am very glad, to be away from D*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts