Dish Should Launch SciFI and USA today. Prove life after AMC-14 Total Loss

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Lets face it, rhetoric aside, the AMC 14 loss is not good for E. They are not gaining the 4 transponders they had expected.
I think it would be a nice shot in the arm if they can put up something today and calm the situation a bit.

Not saying they would. I'm saying they should. :) Remember how negative the media was after the mislaunch? We're going to see a lot more of that. Bad media might mean damage to stock price. Way to calm things down, prove you can still progress your business.

Not saying they would. I'm saying they should. :) Remember how negative the media was after the mislaunch? We're going to see a lot more of that. Bad media might mean damage to stock price. Way to calm things down, prove you can still progress your business.

I'm very interested in how the market is going to respond to this news. Hopefully the price will plummet (sorry if any of you own the stock) and it will light a fire under E*'s as* and they will take some action.

Of course it would be great if they did, but the reality of the situation is that they should have launched channels to show life after a number of PR nightmares over the last few months and they haven't.

I'm disappointed by the loss of AMC-14, but life goes on. I'm in the crowd that believes Charlie could drop all the Jewelry/Shop-at-home-ad-nauseum channels to make way for more HD. I don't think that a private business should be forced to continuously use bandwidth for "Public Interest" channels that no one watches, which would free up space for HD. A model similar to broadcast "Public Interest" would be more suitable if they mandated it at all.

Ultimately, and I sincerely mean this with all due respect, the "E* should launch channels to make me feel better about x or y" is getting old. I enjoy the rumors and speculation I find on this site, but ultimately I have more HD than when I signed up, and my bill has only gone up by a few dollars (regular rate increases, which I'm almost positive started at the dawn of man)

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Everybody have a great Friday! :)

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of people have a false understanding of how big business operates. They're not going to rush and change plans a few hours after an announcement. They'll have meetings upon meetings about what new course to take.

I'm certain they're not going to alter whatever their USA/SciFi plans are -- and they're certainly not going to hit the button on a whim just to counteract the news.

I think this idea assumes that 1) Most people know that their new bird is a total loss; and 2) they care.

I think the theory works if the entire customer base consisted of satelliteguys users, but face it, it does not. :(

Seems like a lot of people have a false understanding of how big business operates. They're not going to rush and change plans a few hours after an announcement. They'll have meetings upon meetings about what new course to take.

I'm certain they're not going to alter whatever their USA/SciFi plans are -- and they're certainly not going to hit the button on a whim just to counteract the news.

i think youre missing the point of the thread

There are probably a ton of stock holders who dont have dish network, could careless about satellties, and hd. But news is news. When you follow-up on your portfolio and hear about this, common sense this is bad news. Nothing about being a satellite geek.

Dish should have launched more hd a long time ago, When Direct did back in September. Let's face it, Dish will do things when they seem ready. No sooner that that.:(

My original point is that is seems that they were close to redy to launch these on Wednesday. If they are that close, and they can do it, it would be a good idea to do it. I'm not coming up with something completely radical out of nowhere.

No worries the stock will sink after the next Qtr conference call when they have another set of really poor subs and nasty churn to share as well as the official announcement around the loss of AMC-14

... I'm in the crowd that believes Charlie could drop all the Jewelry/Shop-at-home-ad-nauseum channels to make way for more HD. ...

Remember, those shopping channels pay Dish to carry them. Fewer channels like that, and our rates go up. Not to mention, oddly, there are people out there that love those channels. :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess folks could always give the corp office a call see what the hold up is on allot of things. Right now going by the last couple of weeks it seems their trying to get some stuff in place to talk about it a the Summit Show this year. But they should add more National HD while their doing that..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts