Dish skins

ohpfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
United States
I have been having issues with Dish Network during the recent snow in my area. Three different times the HD signals are unavailable and certain channels (i.e. FeTV & CMT HD) cut in and out stating the signal is lost. Most of those times, the local ABC/NBC/CBS were the only channels available to be viewed over the Dish. I have the VIP222 receiver, installed on 01/16/14, and in the east coast greater Pittsburgh area feed.

With that said, two months ago I had a Dish professional install the dish on top of my home, even after I suggested placing it on the side of the home or on a pole. He replied that pole mounting is only installed with written instructions on the work orders and in special instances. Today, I wrote to Dish on their website chat requesting that an installer move it to the side of the home or on a pole if the side doesn't receive signals. The rep said it would be $50 to move the Dish and $15 for the tech to arrive, which after 30 minutes of complaints the rep was able to waive these fees.

Fast forward to the topic at hand. During the web chat, I asked if there was anything to help keep the snow off the dish, and she suggested a "Dish skin". I did a little research, and found a basic black cover for $29.99 or a sports-themed one for $39.99. I have two questions: 1) Do the covers work well to prevent the snow from accumulating on the Dish or must the user still knock the snow off the Dish? 2) What size (in inches) round is the actual Dish that Dish Network installs now?

Thanks for any and all helpful answers!

The 10 cent cure is put a plastic trash bag over the dish. The real cure is relocate the dish to a point where you can clean snow and ice off the dish. A hose or super soaker give a longer reach than a broom handle.

Be advised that sometimes it's not buildup at the dish/LNB but rather that the weather has attenuated the signal before it ever gets to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dish America Silver/Gold - Which Channels?

Need to get Install information before install date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts