Dish spamming my DVR

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I just noticed that my 622 is set to record a 9-minute program at 3AM tomorrow from channel 101. The title is "*New Features Video*" and the description is "Learn about your receiver's new Internet-based video feature and more!" Gee thanks guys. Too bad the new feature is worthless. And I wonder what priority this program would've been set to if I had already had two recordings scheduled for that time? What happened to putting this sort of thing in the equally-worthless "TV Entertainment" section?

Have you deleted the timer for this and it came back?

You seem to be angry with dish, if thats they case then why are you still paying for the service?

Van: I subscribed to Dish because they had better HD at the time. Now that's gone to hell, both in quality and quantity. I don't have much time left on my contract, but why should I have to pay to switch providers when Dish should be making an effort to maintain the edge they had? Plus, doesn't D* use Tivo for their DVRs? I can't support that after their actions toward E*.

Hall: where do I turn off Dish's ability to schedule recordings? I don't remember anybody ever mentioning that in an official capacity or otherwise.

I think theres a setting to turn off automatic scheduling. I remember doing it when I first got dish... something along the lines of disable suggestions.

As for switching I would consider if it didn't cost $200 up front for a tivo.

Directv does not use Tivo for their latest generation of dvrs, they are all in house and are the only receivers that can receive the latest hd channels on Directv. If you had something scheduled to record when dish sent the promo video then the promo would have been skipped.

In the past all special Dish recordings sent to the DVR's as designed NOT to interfere with any timers a customer may have set to fire. Often, these special videos air all week so that they can be recorded by your DVR without stopping any timers set for that same time.

Van: I subscribed to Dish because they had better HD at the time. Now that's gone to hell, both in quality and quantity. I don't have much time left on my contract, but why should I have to pay to switch providers when Dish should be making an effort to maintain the edge they had? Plus, doesn't D* use Tivo for their DVRs? I can't support that after their actions toward E*.

Hall: where do I turn off Dish's ability to schedule recordings? I don't remember anybody ever mentioning that in an official capacity or otherwise.

That's the way it goes - it is one big roller coaster ride. For a while Dish is up and Direct is down. Then it changes and for a while Direct is up and Dish is down. And right now Direct is up.

No wonder both Direct and Dish have customer contracts or else fickle customers like you would be flip-flopping between them every other month.

To me it is not a big deal, they are informing there customers of changes, people complain when they don't and apparently complain when they do. As far as HD content for E*, they have had some bacd luck with getting sats in the air, not of there doing. Not only that E* has been whipping D* for as long as I can remember when I was considering switching from cable for a long time. So for them to be losing the war for a few months is minor. It is probley good that they gave them a chance to catch up because I am sure now E* will get remotivated, regain it's control as "Leader in HD Content" and put D* right back to where they were. Now as far as sports, yeh D* kicks E*'s butt. But if you are that unhappy about E* and there content (which they have gotten more since you have signed up, maybe quality went down, but they have more channels), then why not just leave E* and go to D*. And as far as paying, thats not E*'s fault that D* charges to get your recievers. I have a wait and see attitude, now if you really are upset about not having the likes of TWC HD then by all means, join D*.

I had the same timer set and did nothing to get it or approve it. I think it came automatically with 4.47.
I've had L4.47 for about two weeks now and am set to get this recording at 3am Tuesday morning (or maybe last night). It's not "automatic" with L4.47. It probably waits until you have L4.47 though but it certainly doesn't appear at the same time.

You don't have the option to "allow" these either. Dish is free to send them. Cancel the timer if you want... Or delete it without watching it when it's rec'd...

I wish they would send out videos on their upcoming HD plans. It would be great marketing and wouldn't cost them hardly anything to produce.;\

Jeez...just 10 minutes....I've seen E* do this maybe a handfull of times since I've had a DVR. And I've had a DVR a LONG time. Let it record, then delete it. Lets all not get our collective underwear in a twist over a 10 minute recording in the wee hours in the morning. I would venture a guess that most people won't even notice it until after it records and go, "hmm...what's this?" Watch it, and then delete it.

I have channel 101 locked and hidden on my 508 and my 625 and have never ever recvd a dish network feature video as descrbed. So lock the channel and see if that stops the recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts