Dish Speaks on DRM on HBO and Cinemax

David- most of the copy protection schemes for analog transfer are easily filtered with a frame store synchronizer. These are available at reasonable cost today as most older editors have them built in.

The concept of watch the copy once, then the content is deleted is not knew. It is built into the DHCP spec but is also stated to be for PPV type programming. My "wild imagination" part is that this may be expanded to include all programming as the content provider desires. A guideline does not have to be followed and if it is a part of the law then a content provider may desire to execute that part as he sees fit, such as the NFL, and other sports providers. What is questionable is how they will deal with the practice most of us use with DVR's is watch a piece of it today and then return tomorrow to finish the show. This would not work under the strictest use of DRM. All these are just p[ossibilities, but the bottom line is what are the willing to do and willing to accept in lost business? When HDCP for HDMI was intyroduced, it didn't affect me at all, so far. Came close, however as my DLP projector needed to have a chip set replaced for it to work. The manufacturer was on time with that, thank god.

Does this mean that I could transfer a program back to the DVR from the PocketDish if I wanted to watch it on the hard drive on tv again?

Better PQ? No DVR?

Talk about "the sky is falling"....

The DRM is ensuring the content cannot be copied to more than one device. If you want to download something from the DVR, it is gone. You only get one copy. Has nothing to do with improved PQ or disabling the DVR.

Couldnt you just re-DVR the program to the receiver after the transfer to the pocketdish? (assuming the program in question was broadcast again).

Or are the receivers going to prevent us from ever recording again a program that has been transferred to a pocketdish?

Yes you can record it again.

Basically they (HBO and CINEMAX) are trying to get perfect copies of shows and movies shared on the internet.

Thats it, nothing more and nothing less. :)

Ill prob cancel too unless "John" is any good. If it sucks Ill cancel and get Entourage 4 on Netflix.

HBO has slowly pissed me off as they canceled Deadwood and Carnivale.

My bigger fear is that they would activate Macrovision and/or CGMS on the SD analog outputs. This would block my DVD Recorder.

I do wonder if they could get away with that. My guess is that most people who do use one of them record off of cable or satellite but not OTA. If all of a sudden all these people could no longer record, there wouldnt be much of a market for them. All the various electronics companies would be unhappy indeed. This includes some very big companies selling very expensive media centers and the software to run them.

As for what I would do if cable/satellite became that much more restrictive. I would save the money by downgrading to basic service, buy a bluray, and upgrade my Netflix account to rent even better HD. :)

My worry is:

How long before programming providers start making deals where someone like E* can only offer their channel if NO dvr use is allowed during commercials. Or offering discounts for it.

Thats what worries me.

My worry is:

How long before programming providers start making deals where someone like E* can only offer their channel if NO dvr use is allowed during commercials. Or offering discounts for it.

Thats what worries me.

ABC is doing that with COX

The DRM isn't new. Dish abiding by it is.

I wouldn't panic - Other DVRs have to deal with it too when it comes to getting content off the box. It's either deal with the DRM or kill the functionality all together. I think Dish did fine here.

Like others have said - you can always get whatever you want off the box via the analog outputs if you want it bad enough.

BTW only certain movies or shows will have the DRM turned on.

DO you really think they will stop? I think they will DRM everything they can get away with.

Ironically, it will drive people away, but they are not known for really thinking things through.

We are seeing the death-throws of a faulty distribution scheme, IMHO.

Brad

The painful reality is this...
There are what maybe 300 of us who actually read and understand the writing on the walls. The rest of the population are more like sheep. Following along with what the other guy is doing. They won't believe in the butcher until it's too late and they loose something important to them.

(okay, maybe more then 300, but you get my drift)

The painful reality is this...
There are what maybe 300 of us who actually read and understand the writing on the walls. The rest of the population are more like sheep. Following along with what the other guy is doing. They won't believe in the butcher until it's too late and they loose something important to them.

(okay, maybe more then 300, but you get my drift)
I think you're missing the point.

I don't think anyone is saying "DRM, so what".

The bottom line is if Dish doesn't comply they lose the content. It's the content owner's ball and they'll play the game any dang way they please. Don't like it, don't subscribe to HBO.

That's all there is to it.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts