Dish Speaks on DRM on HBO and Cinemax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think you're missing the point.

I don't think anyone is saying "DRM, so what".

The bottom line is if Dish doesn't comply they lose the content. It's the content owner's ball and they'll play the game any dang way they please. Don't like it, don't subscribe to HBO.

That's all there is to it.

Shawn

I think what youre missing is the conversation in this thread that is moving beyond HBO and DRM. What about ABC VOD that does not allow you to FF thru commercials?

Have any idea how large Disney is(ABC/ESPN)? How long before they start restricting their offerings if providers dont agree to restrict fast forwarding during ALL programming including previously recorded live stuff. Thats my worry.

With VOD its between the cable company and the content owners - and yes that's shady. That isn't really a DRM issue though.

VOD is a wierd deal to me. VOD kind of negates the need for a DVR. Not being able to FFWD just gives me another reason not to use the VOD service. I plan on getting a cable box when VOD is in my area but if stuff like this happens I'll send it back and stick with my Series 3 Tivos doing their thing with Cablecard.

I vote with my dollar.

Now, if the mainstream programming is able to force me not to be able to use my DVR functions that would be tough. I'd have to go back to analog recordings which they can't affect. That shoots the crap out of HD though.

I think there are (or if not there should be) 2 schools of thought on the whole "by-passing" commercials issue.

1. Do whatever it takes to force the viewer to watch (or back to leaving the room for a snack:) ) every commercial.

2. Entice the viewer to actually stop and watch the commercial - ideally back it up and watch it again - even more ideally, back it up, pause it and go fetch the rest of the family to watch it.

The latter has been done on more than one occasion in our household. Of course not all people's taste is the same but we stop and watch those FedEx and Geiko ads quite often and there are others that catch our attention too.

The bigger point though is that I find we tend to gravitate more towards the products / services associated with these commercials. For instance the Geiko gecko cracked me up so much the kids went out and got me a tee shirt of him. I happened to be wearing it when my John Hancock agent stopped by.:p

Obviously it still boils down to product preference but the issue at hand is really only getting you to watch the commerical. If enough people follow similar viewing patterns and enough sponsors have the insight to see this trend, it could change the outlook of some broadcasters.

My worry is:

How long before programming providers start making deals where someone like E* can only offer their channel if NO dvr use is allowed during commercials. Or offering discounts for it.

Thats what worries me.

Dish and Direct makes money off of DVR fees. As a result I do not think they would be able to offer enough to offset what they make off of those fees and the fact that those that have DVR are less likely to churn out. The program providers would probably want to either get an increase in rates to offset what they are not geting with advertisements or want the DVR function turned off. That means Dish and Direct would be doing negotiations as they have done in the past but DVR functionality would be playing a role in the future. This could mean that Dish and Direct would have to increase the DVR fee and use that money to offset higher programming costs the programmers want for being able to still use that functionality or higher programming costs to offset the loss of commercials. When things go more towards IPTV then this will not be as much of an issue as they can run ads along with the program. Some will do ad placement in the shows themselves to increase revenue while others may have ads while the show is running.

Some will do ad placement in the shows themselves to increase revenue while others may have ads while the show is running.

Thats a very good point and one that I would *hope* make all this moot. I think roduct placement has more of an impact than anything else. Sometimes its done poorly and seems out of place... a signal of advertising people deciding how to do it vs creative people. But other times its done seamlessly and if you think about it shows like 24 have a lot of it. Some could call it a form of subliminal advertising.

Lets hope that in the long run networks wont consider this as just a bonus to traditional advertising instead of how it should be done in the future. Product placement is advertising in perpetuity. No matter where its played and how often its played. DVRs? DVDs? Cable repeats? No prob.

Wishful thinking I know ;)

Yep, if the next steps become no DVR and it's capabilities(FF, REW, offload to disc/tape) or even if they start time limiting how long I can have them on my DVR and no point in my having any type of pay TV service (cable or sat).

Exactly. My 'pay service' will switch back to Netflix and the 6 out at a time package instead of the everything package I have now.

Transfering HBO content:
Seems kinda silly for the Premiums. If you want to keep a copy on both, then just record the show/move twice. It's not like it doesn't air 10+ times.

95% of my premium channel viewing is hi-def anyway (which can't be transferred to PocketDish).

My bigger fear is that they would activate Macrovision and/or CGMS on the SD analog outputs. This would block my DVD Recorder.

They are using CGMS on the analog outputs for several of the premiums. They appear to be set to copy once.

Drm

Like usual it's all about greed and nothing more. All of the talking heads can say what they want about piracy and the such but it is now and always has been about making money each and every time you view the same content. If we, as citizens don't do something soon about this (write your congressman and senator) we will be paying each time we hear and see something even if it has been seen and/or heard before. Stand up for your rights.

What rights?

Do you actually expect your congress critters to outlaw DRM? Do you really think more laws are the answer?

Of course it's about greed. You speak about greed like it's a bad thing. The content wouldn't be produced in the first place if it wasn't for greed. Greed is the engine that drives business. Perhaps you're simply being greedy yourself when you want to store and replay the content indefinitely?

Some specific content might not be produced, but a great deal of content still would. artistic productions existed long before modern copyright law and DRM.

I agree with the distrust of government, unfortunately, media conglomerates only have a stranglehold on the industry because of the many laws forcing a false situation on us.

Brad

Nothing is forced on us other than that which our own lack of self control allows to be. We let them charge us $3+ a gallon for gas, why would we not let them put restrictions on the services we pay for?

So transfer the SD version to the Pocket Dish and leave the HD version on the DVR. HBO and Cinemax repeat all content anyway. Big whoopee dee do. And the Soprano ending SUCKED!!!

And the Soprano ending SUCKED!!!

Dont have HBO so I didnt see any of this season. I will rent the DVDs when they are out in, oh, 3 months? Nah not that soon. But soon enough and I can wait.

I generally know the ending but not the specifics. Nor do I have a particular desire to know them right now. However, they didnt want anything in the show to hurt the chances for a big screen movie... which I hear about from time to time. Shame tho. Thinking like that means taking no chances or irrevocable changes, which makes for poor stories.

If this leads to raising the HD PQ, that more power to it.
So sorry to bust your bubble but:

I was watching HBO on Dish tonight, and noticed that they've dropped HBO-HD on 110W to 1440x1080. I checked Showtime (on the same transponder) - Same deal - Also 1440x1080.

I subscribe to dish because their quality is higher that DirecTv - Now they pull this crap?! Come on Dish - You can do better than this!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)