Dish Speaks on DRM on HBO and Cinemax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Some folks here have wild imaginations. :)

Your DVR will work the same tommorow as it does today.

And yes external hard drives will be availble in the "near" future. I know three folks using them now and they are all VERY happy.

BTW only certain movies or shows will have the DRM turned on.

I believe at least some of us are referring to there must be a limit, that if they keep going on with restrictions, would they eventually try to prevent the use of DVRs? I'd like to doubt it, but there is no doubt in my mind that there are folks with the mind set that there should be NO recording- watch it live, with commercials, or not at all. People wouldn't put up with that today, their market would dwindle. But some can't see that. Profits and salaries cannot grow indefinitely in Hollywood or anywhere.

And- hasn't it been reported that at least one cableco already has external storage? If they can do it, Dish can do it. And so can D*.

trust me on this folks you will never see external hard drive support for any receiver yes i mean the 622 and newer. No way no how. Do you think for one minute that we wouldn't already have it. If they we able to legally do it.

I think you are wrong, we have already seen a beta of it at CES.

The 508 is dead.

Not worth upgrading it now.

I am sure in the future if you call and bitch about it they will send you a MPEG4 receiver. :D

I was making a joke about it. 4yrs ago or so Charley stated in tech chat that the 508 would have NBR. Just like we have heard about Ext. For 2yrs. But you are right i am sure it will be out sometime. Who maybe even you might have on your special vip622 unit.

Damn! I waited too long to get one of these beauties... If the 211 or 622 are outputting copy-protected HD content through their HDMI, maybe the component inputs on the Intensity Pro would deal with it.

Not to go all Kevin Rose, but I vote REVOLT! Here's one to consider: how about the open drive to break DRM. Sorry, but the allofmp3's, slysofts, and "09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0"s freakin can't be wrong. I'm all for making money but greed is getting out of hand. The Jack Valenti's of the world have to stopped.

I believe at least some of us are referring to there must be a limit, that if they keep going on with restrictions, would they eventually try to prevent the use of DVRs? I'd like to doubt it, but there is no doubt in my mind that there are folks with the mind set that there should be NO recording- watch it live, with commercials, or not at all. People wouldn't put up with that today, their market would dwindle. But some can't see that. Profits and salaries cannot grow indefinitely in Hollywood or anywhere.

That's what I was eluding to in my original post back at the beginning of the discussion...now that it is starting, where will it end?

And- hasn't it been reported that at least one cableco already has external storage? If they can do it, Dish can do it. And so can D*.

Shockingly, the one here does. This city has the most backward, generally out-of-date cable company (err...monopoly) that there is. My parents live in an apartment that isnt very Dish friendly so cable is only option. (not that they won't allow them, just that it is very wooded, and I doubt any apartment there could get LOS to anything). Their old TV died last weekend and they decided to move into the HD world. Called the cable company and picked up an SA 8300 DVR. While setting it up for them, I was shocked to see a whole section of the manual on external storage, what to use, how to use, etc. Dish Network should be truly ashamed that they got beat by these clowns!!! !sadroll

DRM and RIAA is out of control. I don't know what's going to happen in the future, but I believe this is just the beginning. The consumer who pays for the media will hurt. Not the one who is stealing and selling the media.

But, I will be the first to admit. If things get worse I will be the first to stop my $120 a month tv habit and take a fraction of that money and get a subscription at netflix and 100 disc spool of blank dvd.

High definition is really nice, but I have been watching standard definition all my life. So it wouldn't hurt me to much to go back. The tv rates are getting higher, while the enjoyable options are getting lower and all we as consumer can do is take it on the chin and roll with punches.

Not me see, I got a game plan. I can easily save my money and make better use of it. I don't have to buy it, but they got to sell it.

So then run analog inputs into a DVD recorder and bypass the problem.....

Are there THAT many people with PocketDishs anyway?

Do devices like Slingboxes still work with that content?

Is this like the anti-copy protection they put on HD PPV? If so, that means you could no longer copy from the DVR to a DVD?

Transfering HBO content:
Seems kinda silly for the Premiums. If you want to keep a copy on both, then just record the show/move twice. It's not like it doesn't air 10+ times.

95% of my premium channel viewing is hi-def anyway (which can't be transferred to PocketDish).

My bigger fear is that they would activate Macrovision and/or CGMS on the SD analog outputs. This would block my DVD Recorder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts