Dish Stock Falls As Pay-TV Subscriber Losses Accelerate, Profit Beats

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What if you have a local that only broadcasts in SD? Do the viewers in the East still receive that channel?
EA is entirely MPEG4, not necessarily HD but you must have an MPEG4 receiver to receive EA satellites.

All of Dish's MPEG4 receivers are HD receivers..

The Youtube TV DVR is quite a step up from the heated mechanical brick that is the Hopper 3. It's unlimited, free and never needs to be rebooted. It doesn't even use electricity. It just exists in the cloud and records everything I want and everything it thinks I want. The algorithms are quite amazing as I find myself watching recommended shows all the time. It also seamlessly integrates youtube and other cloud-based programming into the mix.

You're right, it's not a replacement. It's the future.

Edit: I forgot to mention, all the content is in 1080P.

The future maybe, but not the present. :p

A cloud that may or may not work at any time, no thanks. No power or no internet and no TV. No feeding multiple TV's, no auto skip commercials, no MultiView and on and on and on.

And it's pretty much a moot point around here and in tens of millions of other homes anyway because of lack of fast internet.

The future maybe, but for now it's a joke. :p

A cloud that may or may not work at any time, no thanks. No power or no internet and no TV. No feeding multiple TV's, no auto skip commercials, no MultiView and on and on and on.

And it's pretty much a moot point around here and millions of other homes anyway because of lack of fast internet.

The future, maybe but for now it's a joke. :p

1. I've never had an issue with it not working, unlike rain fade and having to climb on the roof to remove snow from my dish (Which is weekly in Northern Maine for six months of the year). I literally just set a ladder on the side of the house to make my trudge up there with a broom. No use taking it down. We're at 37.5" for the season and winter hasn't even technically started.
2. My Hopper 3 requires power. So does my TV. Does your setup run on dark energy or something?
3. I can play it on any device anywhere anytime. So instead of having a fee for every room, I just have Roku sticks. I literally can feed EVERY TV IN MY HOUSE SIMULTANEOUSLY. You heard that right. Six streams at any one time, anywhere in the US included in the price. I'm also not tied down to a provider. I can do HuluTV next month. PS Vue the month after. DIrecTV Now after that. No contract is great!
4. Auto skip? Doesn't that only work on NBC now? Haven't had a show with auto skip in at least a year. Don't really watch the networks for the most part except for sports. Youtube TV has the standard DVR Skip/FF.
5. I live in the middle of nowhere. There is no wired internet. I use Verizon 4G from a tower 8 miles away using a dual yagi mimo setup. As I stated in my previous post, 5G and LEO sats are on the five-year horizon. 4G LTE is available to 99% of the population and unlimited is the rage. I'm not even in an area that has LTE per their maps, I just know how to point an antenna.
6. The real joke is sustained subscriber loss of the legacy satellite providers. I can almost guarantee that in 5 years, what we now know as Dish will probably be called AT&T Now. There will have to be consolidation as the business model crumbles (who wants to pay $130 when you can get a better product for $50?) and LEO/5G internet fills in the last mile gaps, with companies like Google/Hulu/AT&T/Sony etc. taking over the industry. Heck, they already are taking over the industry with their streaming products.

I've been with E*/D* since '98 (mostly E*) but when I got my bill yesterday I knew it was a sign. I also wanted to watch the Celtics game which is impossible on Dish in my DMA since '13 because of Charlie.

To each their own.

p.s. That 56 point win last night justified my decision. ;)

Reactions: Claude Greiner
The Youtube TV DVR is quite a step up from the heated mechanical brick that is the Hopper 3. It's unlimited, free and never needs to be rebooted. It doesn't even use electricity. It just exists in the cloud and records everything I want and everything it thinks I want. The algorithms are quite amazing as I find myself watching recommended shows all the time. It also seamlessly integrates youtube and other cloud-based programming into the mix.

You're right, it's not a replacement. It's the future.

Edit: I forgot to mention, all the content is in 1080P.

No it’s not all 1080p, I had it at the grandfathered $35/mo rate for quite some time until switching back to Dish on Friday. Not all channels broadcast in 1080p if any. Look at your stats for nerds and you’ll see. ESPN Fox News Fox most are 720. You have some forced commercials on VOD. I know they have allowed you to finally fast forward through those on MOST channels now. That was real convenient , as well as having to adjust picture quality from 240 on some streaming devices the last two weeks Apple TV etc. The service has been unreliable lately, just go to the service’s reddit. I have 100mb internet and Dish is much better IMO. YouTube tv doesn’t allow 6 streams at once, it’s only 3 at once which is a problem for a lot of people. YouTube tv is better than directv now I’ll give it that.

Reactions: JSheridan

And it's pretty much a moot point around here and in tens of millions of other homes anyway because of lack of fast internet.

The future maybe, but for now it's a joke. :p
Spot on. You nailed it.

Reactions: JSheridan
No it’s not all 1080p, I had it at the grandfathered $35/mo rate for quite some time until switching back to Dish on Friday. Not all channels broadcast in 1080p if any. Look at your stats for nerds and you’ll see. ESPN Fox News Fox most are 720. You have some forced commercials on VOD. I know they have allowed you to finally fast forward through those on MOST channels now. That was real popular on the forums, as well as having to adjust picture quality from 240 on some streaming devices the last two weeks. The service has been unreliable lately, just go to the service’s reddit. I have 100mb internet and Dish is much better IMO. YouTube tv better than directv now I’ll give it that.

All the channels broadcast in 1080P can be received in 1080P, at least that has been my experience so far. I am able to set that as the speed in the app and the picture looks amazing upscaled to 4K. Obviously, Disney-ABC networks chose the 720P standard and don't broadcast in 1080P.

I've been to the subreddit. I've been a subscriber for some time. I'm not experiencing any issues. YMMV.

Dish charged me $130 for the 15 channels a month I actually watched while not being able to get channels I actually wanted (NBC Sports Boston/HBO). That's why I made the switch along with 341,000k other people last quarter.

It's a personal decision. There's no perfect solution. I'm just throwing out there that Dish's business model might need to be revisited before it's too late.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
1. I've never had an issue with it not working, unlike rain fade and having to climb on the roof to remove snow from my dish (Which is weekly in Northern Maine for six months of the year). I literally just set a ladder on the side of the house to make my trudge up there with a broom. No use taking it down.
2. My Hopper 3 requires power. So does my TV. Does your setup run on dark energy or something?
3. I can play it on any device anywhere anytime. So instead of having a fee for every room, I just have Roku sticks. I literally can feed EVERY TV IN MY HOUSE SIMULTANEOUSLY. You heard that right. Six streams at any one time, anywhere in the US included in the price. I'm also not tied down to a provider. I can do HuluTV next month. PS Vue the month after. DIrecTV Now after that. No contract is great!
4. Auto skip? Doesn't that only work on NBC now? Haven't had a show with auto skip in at least a year. Don't really watch the networks for the most part except for sports. Youtube TV has the standard DVR Skip/FF.
5. I live in the middle of nowhere. There is no wired internet. I use Verizon 4G from a tower 8 miles away using a dual yagi mimo setup. As I stated in my previous post, 5G and LEO sats are on the five-year horizon. 4G LTE is available to 99% of the population and unlimited is the rage. I'm not even in an area that has LTE per their maps, I just know how to point an antenna.
6. The real joke is sustained subscriber loss of the legacy satellite providers. I can almost guarantee that in 5 years, what we now know as Dish will probably be called AT&T Now. There will have to be consolidation as the business model crumbles (who wants to pay $130 when you can get a better product for $50?) and LEO/5G internet fills in the last mile gaps, with companies like Google/Hulu/Sony etc. taking over the industry. Heck, they already are taking over the industry.

I've been with E*/D* since '98 (mostly E*) but when I got my bill yesterday I knew it was a sign. I also wanted to watch the Celtics game which is impossible on Dish in my DMA since '13 because of Charlie.

To each their own.

1 - No internet, no TV. And no internet is a common malady around here.
2 - Generator. Always have TV.
3 - I can feed my 11 TV's with one Hopper 3 component output. No need for sticks all around the house each needing their own fast connection and none of them synced.
4 - Auto-Hop works the next day here on NBC and ABC. Doesn't really matter to me as I usually always have shows backed up so I almost always have Auto-Hop.
5 - No fast internet available here, period. And I've never seen or heard of a 4G unlimited package that will do what half of what you're bragging about. When they say unlimited they really mean you can use about 20gigs then it gets very slow. And 99% availability is not the case at all around here. In fact that rates another :p. Also, apparently you have some kind of non standard installation requiring an outdoor antenna and probably a special router and/or other equipment. I can just see Grandpa setting that up :p. 5G is a non starter out in the country because of the very limited range and LEO I will believe when I see. Just last year Viasat was promising a revolution in satellite internet with their new Viasat 2 satellite. Since then their plans have become more restrictive and more expensive.
6 - Satellite TV will be around for a long, long time in one form or another. No matter what the spin is that's the fact. It's still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment available for the masses. Why do you think you see all those satellite dishes in the middle of cities where they have cable and fast internet already.

To each their own is right, that's the one thing we can agree on.

... That's why I made the switch along with 341,000k other people last quarter. ...

Most of those people probably went to DirecTV or another real TV service.

Streaming is great for the kids who've got their face in their phones all the time but for people who just want to watch TV and enjoy advanced features it doesn't compare.

1 - No internet, no TV. And no internet is a common malady around here.
2 - Generator. Always have TV.
3 - I can feed my 11 TV's with one Hopper 3 component output. No need for sticks all around the house each needing their own fast connection and none of them synced.
4 - Auto-Hop works the next day here on NBC and ABC. Doesn't really matter to me as I usually always have shows backed up so I almost always have Auto-Hop.
5 - No fast internet available here, period. And I've never seen or heard of a 4G unlimited package that will do what half of what you're bragging about. When they say unlimited they really mean you can use about 20gigs then it gets very slow. And 99% availability is not the case at all around here. In fact that rates another :p. Also, apparently you have some kind of non standard installation requiring an outdoor antenna and probably a special router and/or other equipment. I can just see Grandpa setting that up :p. 5G is a non starter out in the country because of the very limited range and LEO I will believe when I see. Just last year Viasat was promising a revolution in satellite internet with their new Viasat 2 satellite. Since then their plans have become more restrictive and more expensive.
6 - Satellite TV will be around for a long, long time in one form or another. No matter what the spin is that's the fact. It's still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment available for the masses. Why do you think you see all those satellite dishes in the middle of cities where they have cable and fast internet already.

To each their own is right, that's the one thing we can agree on.
AMEN

All the channels broadcast in 1080P can be received in 1080P, at least that has been my experience so far. I am able to set that as the speed in the app and the picture looks amazing upscaled to 4K. Obviously, Disney-ABC networks chose the 720P standard and don't broadcast in 1080P.

I've been to the subreddit. I've been a subscriber for some time. I'm not experiencing any issues. YMMV.

Dish charged me $130 for the 15 channels a month I actually watched while not being able to get channels I actually wanted (NBC Sports Boston/HBO). That's why I made the switch along with 341,000k other people last quarter.

It's a personal decision. There's no perfect solution. I'm just throwing out there that Dish's business model might need to be revisited before it's too late.

I agree and I am sorry if I came off as argumentative, I just don’t think the majority of the people on this forum would be happy with it even if they had fast internet, and I don’t want them to go through all the hassle I did and have to get re signed up with Dish. I got the flashy 100mb internet in my rural area and the fad was/is OTT OTT. Dish looks much better, has more features, excellent H3 DVR which is still amazing, and isn’t behind 30 seconds on getting programming like OTT. I’m 30 years old so I grew up with streaming and other technology so that’s not an issue.

Also, looking at the sub #s of the OTT services, many or most cutting the cord aren’t getting any of the live services. Prices are going to increase there as well even with the gaps in programming. Google is losing about $5 on each customer and the others are as well to a varying degree. Targeted ads aren’t boosting it enough, and content costs continue to go up.

1. As I have said MULTIPLE TIMES - LEO and 5G internet will have broad expansion in the next 5 years. Every inch of the earth should be covered except Antartica. SpaceX is doing the first commercial launch next year. Verizon has already rolled out 5G in select areas. The big three all have 5-year plans for full deployment.
2. I have one of those fancy generators too. It powers my TV, my furnace AND my internet.
3. I can feed 1 billion TV's using app mirroring and casting. Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous? I'm not running a sports bar. It's just me and my family. Six streams is more than enough and if I want more I can get more.
4. I don't watch those channels, except for live events. Pushing the skip button 4 times fast on two channels really doesn't make or break a service for me
5. Please refer to 1. Also, I have a Verizon 4G unlimited plan. I get 40 down and 20 up. I use about 400GB a month.
6. Geo satellite TV will die a slow death, but it will die. LEO is happening now.

Listen, you enjoy your satellite. I'm guessing you have a Nokia phone too. Those things last forever! In the meantime I'm getting a better value and that works for me. I'm also getting channels that are not available on Dish. That also works for me.

You can cover your eyes and plug your ears and pretend that Dish is doing great, but the reality is they are making slightly more money off fewer and fewer people and that is unsustainable. They attempted to diversify and failed.

I'm just going to continue watching this aortic bleed of subs and hope for the best as it's been a great many years. That said, for me personally the price is right with streaming and the product is better.

I've already pulled the LNB off the roof, so don't waste your time trying to convince me.

It was fun playing but you really are just wasting my time now so I say good luck to you and your crystal ball with all your future predictions of what may or may not become reality. I couldn't care less about 'convincing you' or not I just hate to see BS spread so heavily.

Bye...

The junior members are getting snarky.

Edit: I just love that people literally think I am assaulting their entire lifestyle by inferring that playing $130 a month for TV service is ridiculous and I wanted to pay less. Is your world crashing down or something or can people leave E* and share their experiences in the appropriate thread without derision? I'm guessing the answer is no.

The TV is the second most used appliance in most households, right behind the refrigerator. I consider it a very cost effective service that provides an unbelievable amount of entertainment to my family every day for the whole month for less than the cost of bringing them to dinner and a movie once.

Agreed. That would be almost as crazy as landlines going away or fax machines. You know what I mean?

If you don't like seeing BS spread, you should probably stop posting.

OK, you quit DISH and in your opinion it's such a horrible waste so why are you still here trolling? You should go and live with your choices and leave us alone to enjoy our's. Adios...

I have no doubt you will be the last Dish customer. Don't forget to turn off the lights.

You sound like my 19-year-old brother who works at Best Buy. He sneers at my parents' Dish system and questions my encouragement of them to keep it. I tell him- they like the "classic" TV experience. He doesn't understand that because all video he consumes is on his phablet. Just because a technology is older doesn't by default make it irrelevant. Should LEO sats come along shortly and give all the underserved areas instant cheap broadband, I might eat my words. Until then, long live Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts