DISH takes away HD Free for Life if you go off AutoPay

My credit union reimburses me up to $4.00 per month other banks' ATM fees. Since I use my credit card for most every purchase, I rarely have to get money out of the ATM more than once a month, usually less.
I only use my debit card about once or twice a month too, but at my credit union right down the road from me. NO fees ever. We get about $200.00 out around the 30th of the month and again around the 15th and split it between my wife and I . This is for all those little purchases that we both make, that we don't have to answer to each other for. It guarantees some sanity in our marriage.:music

My credit union reimburses me up to $4.00 per month other banks' ATM fees. Since I use my credit card for most every purchase, I rarely have to get money out of the ATM more than once a month, usually less.
What's an ATM? Heck, what is money?

You have a choice....either honor the terms and conditions, or don't. Or choose the third option - whine about it.
Or, the fourth option: Complain about it calmly and rationally, and someone from Dish will take care of you, despite the knee-jerk Dish apologists berating you for making a simple inquiry.

The original HD Free For Life promotion did require auto pay, however the current re-release of that promotion that started on the 6th of November doesn't require it anymore. We do recommend it being setup, but it being removed should not remove the Free for Life promotion.

Whoever is being affected by this, send me a PM with the account information so I can see what's going on.

Reactions: primestar31
Or, the fourth option: Complain about it calmly and rationally, and someone from Dish will take care of you
Despite DIRT chiming in offering to help, there is no evidence the OP ever followed up with it. And based on the posting history of the OP, he got the response he deserved.

Despite DIRT chiming in offering to help, there is no evidence the OP ever followed up with it. And based on the posting history of the OP, he got the response he deserved.
Ah. I didn't see the nasty posts. Sorry.
But, the gist of my comment still applies. There's nothing wrong with complaining about some Dish action, especially when it turns out you were right. And, the constant berating of folks who dare not love their satellite provider unconditionally just gets on my nerves to no end.

You need a new bank. Good thing there are so many to choose from. Not only do charges on my ATM card enjoy the same sort of fraud protection as my credit card (I know, because I've gone through a dispute before), but I also get another +1 warranty on purchases just like with my credit card.
Agreed. Most banks have pretty decent protections and policies now on debit cards. The biggest issue is that if something does go wrong it immediately impacts your "real" money until noticed/reported/worked through.

I have two credit cards, a Visa from my credit union and an AMEX from Costco. I use both continuously. I simply pay them off each month and have no interest at all, haven't for years....
I have a Discover card I use for everything, like one would use a debit card. I don't like debit cards, and it is inconvenient to write a check most of the time. I pay the Discover off every month. Use it just like cash. That way, if it gets stolen or compromised, I don't have to worry about anyone getting into my checking account.

Or, the fourth option: Complain about it calmly and rationally, and someone from Dish will take care of you, despite the knee-jerk Dish apologists berating you for making a simple inquiry.

Go back and re-read....screaming "this is a load of crap," is certainly not calm and rational. You can put whatever spin you want on it. The fact that you let all this crap rile you up and put you on a rampage is really silly at best.

I never paid the $99 nor signed up for Auto pay and I've been a part of HD for life since day one. When I go to pay my bill Auto pay is turned off.

And, the constant berating of folks who dare not love their satellite provider unconditionally just gets on my nerves to no end.
Just as much as it gets on my nerves when someone being completely irrational and over-the-top plays the fanboy card on someone who is just trying to help or relaying facts. Not saying you did but the OP sure did.

Reactions: GaryPen and ChadT41
Just as much as it gets on my nerves when someone being completely irrational and over-the-top plays the fanboy card on someone who is just trying to help or relaying facts. Not saying you did but the OP sure did.
Agreed.

I guess a lot of his posts must have been deleted by the mods. By the time I got here, he seemed less crazy then the way people were referring to him.

Agreed.

I guess a lot of his posts must have been deleted by the mods. By the time I got here, he seemed less crazy then the way people were referring to him.
He appears that he's Gone.

Last edited:
At least this is a system if I make it cheaper for Dish (not having to spend over $700,000 a year on return envelopes--and that was a 2005 figure, I believe) to administer my account (I'm saving Dish money), then Dish will do something for me in return and waive the $10 per month HD fee.

The terms are the terms and NOT unreasonable. Yes, either prepaid or SECURED credit card (with amount as per your cash account) to prevent more charges than what you expect. Otherwise, Dish would be charging everyone $10 per month for HD as would DirecTV if not in their program. It seems cable is the only ones NOT charging for extra for HD channel, but we have to believe they have built this cost into their other chargers, and , at least in my case, cable come out as MORE expensive for what I get today compared to Dish.

Do I find the DVR fee bogus? Yes. But the reality is all these MVPD's charge a DVR fee because they can and fees are a great way to get extra $$$, especially since they may not be able to raise the package rates as much as they may really need to. So, here come the fees.

It is the ugly fact of life with pay-TV. But if any of us start to whine or resent the charges or deals to waive them, we are lucky, today, to have the options of "cord-cutting" with SlingTV being a real option along with other OTT services like Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon, and even MORE OTT pay-TV services (all priced at $40 and more) from Sony and Apple and who knows who else. SlingTV's mere $20 per month is really the sweet spot *with new channels added and more $5 upgrades) and far more compelling then the pricing to come from Apple and Sony.

Reactions: ChadT41
"HD" is standard now. It is not a niche luxury anymore. I cannot believe dish and other providers make it an option for a fee.

It would be like buying long distance service on a modern cell phone.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
As far as I can tell the content providers don't agree with you. Most if not all charge Dish more for the HD signal. Remember the DISH/Di$ney di$pute over HD fees?

I thought I read somewhere that that dispute was unique as Disney was doing something no other content provider was doing (splitting the fee structure for HD versus SD)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)