DISH takes away HD Free for Life if you go off AutoPay

"HD" is standard now. It is not a niche luxury anymore. I cannot believe dish and other providers make it an option for a fee.

It would be like buying long distance service on a modern cell phone.
Just because we think it is standard, does not in fact make it the standard. As long as there are SD receivers and channels out there, not just with Dish but with any provider, HD is not going to be the standard. You can cross your fingers that a push in the direction of 4K makes HD the standard and UHD the premium, but even then, the people holding back may just change that.

I of course do not know how many are actually paying the HD fee, but I bet DISH could simply say HD is standard and advertise that. I think it's the leverage of getting paperless billing and/or direct pay that is the savings for DISH.

I like auto-pay. I don't have to remember to go back online every month.. But then, I'm not on auto-pay now, Weird.

But I have my MAC and iPhone setup to start bugging me every day 6 days before the bill due date! Doesn't matter where I am, I just hop onto (sorry for the pun) the Web site and click the pay button.

I have HDFFL without autopay, but do have paperless billing. I know I don't have autopay as I have been late to pay on occasion.
When I set it up, the add said free HD for life. They told only if I set up auto pay. I said then it isn't free. I want what the add said. We went back and forth a few times, and I got HD free for life with no auto pay.
Some times it is annoying, sometimes it is fun, to negotiate a deal. Many years ago we would go to Tijuana MX and my wife would negotiate the price with various vendors for stuff she didn't even want, just for fun.

Well, if we don't like it, then the competition from cable who charge for HD as a separate Tier of channels, just like a few other MVPD's. Dish's model is to view HD itself as a premium, where MSO's view the HD as a tier of channels to be the premium. Either way, one ends up paying for HD one way or another. And the much HIGHER fees for HD boxes at MSO's seems a hidden HD FEE. At least Dish gives me something back for making it less expensive for them to bill me. No such option at any other MVPD.

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)