Dish tells me it's $200 plus $15 to upgrade to HD. Is this good?

gilmoregirlz

Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
The additional fees for HD in the past have kept us from upgrading to HD, but the new HD for life deal sounds good. We currently have an SD DVR, (a 625, maybe?), so obviously we'd need an equipment upgrade to go HD.

I did an online chat with Dish this evening, and they said they could give me an HD Duo DVR for the "low upfront cost of $200 and $15 for the technician visit." I've been a Dish customer for 3 and 1/2 years, and am currently not under contract. Is this $200 a good deal? I was really hoping for something a little better....like free, maybe. :D Or at least better than $200.....
I don't know if it makes a difference, but my dish service is bundled with phone and internet services through CenturyLink.

Should I go for this $200 plus $15, or is there hope that I could get a better deal somehow?
Thanks!
:)

This is a fairly standard upgrade price. $15 for the tech visit is normal if you have the service plan, and the HD DVR cost depends on which DVR, but most of the time, yes, it's a $199 upgrade cost for existing customers who are eligible for a discounted upgrade. It depends on which DVR they're offering, also - if it's the new 922, $199 (or more) is the cost most everyone is leasing it for. You can try, but I wouldn't expect to get it for less. The 722k/722/622 you might be able to do better on. Depends on your history with Dish, how much you spend per month, etc.

Was that the price with no contract extension?
I was told 2 days ago $100 for the 722 HD-DVR upgrade and $99 install or $15 for install if I also signed for DHHP.
This required a new 24 month contract with dish.

I'm leaning toward switching to Direct and getting HD-DVR and install for free.
They offered me two years of discounted programming,HD free for life and 3 months starz and showtime. This also requires a 2 year contract.

Dish 'N It Up requires a 24 months commitment. You must be a Plan B if the fee is $200. The only way it could be less is if you were a Plan A.

I don't think being bundled is going to make a difference. Should still be the same price. In most cases when we have a bundled customer who got their Dish from us before they bundled they happen to be Plan A. From my experience it is not much of a benefit being bundled with a phone provider, way too many problems with accounts.

Bundled Account

I don't think being bundled is going to make a difference. Should still be the same price. In most cases when we have a bundled customer who got their Dish from us before they bundled they happen to be Plan A. From my experience it is not much of a benefit being bundled with a phone provider, way too many problems with accounts.

I am bundled with Century Link. I have not had any problems with my account. Based upon my phone number when I can Dish they know I am bundled. I usually do not call the customer service if I want an upgrade. In fact I rarely call Customer Service. I call
Technical Support. I find they are more informed with what options are available and most of the time more flexible and helpful.

Was that the price with no contract extension?
I was told 2 days ago $100 for the 722 HD-DVR upgrade and $99 install or $15 for install if I also signed for DHHP.
This required a new 24 month contract with dish.

I'm leaning toward switching to Direct and getting HD-DVR and install for free.
They offered me two years of discounted programming,HD free for life and 3 months starz and showtime. This also requires a 2 year contract.

Same here. I am a present DISH subscriber who has a 625 receiver. I too wished to upgrade to HD programing and was actually considering it before the HD Free for Life promotion. When I made the call last week to DISH to upgrade, I was informed that I would need to pay a $100 upgrade fee in addition to tech fees, etc. to change to HD DVR receiver and dish. This was despite the fact that I was told by a CSR prior to the HD Free for Life promotion that "Good news! You do not have to pay an upgrade fee." Of course, there is no record in my account record that anyone said this. I spoke to various CSRs and even the Customer Loyalty Desk to no avail. It seems that DISH is perfectly satisfied to allow me to switch to the competition rather than waive the $100 and I let them know that they were making it very difficult to remain with DISH. I have been with DISH for 4 1/2 years with AT200 programming. I guess that's not enough. Coincidently, if I switch, my costs will be less for the set-up that I have although I would rather stay but not pay an upgrade fee.

Same here. I originally was told it would cost me $100 to upgrade to a 722.I called back last week and it will now cost me $200.They won't budge either, I have talked to like 5 different people including there loyalty team.When I told them I was going to cancel they didnt care, they actually were very helpful in that area and asked if I would like to cancel my service that day. Just curious but how do you become on the "A" or "B" plan, whats the difference?

I am bundled with Century Link. I have not had any problems with my account. Based upon my phone number when I can Dish they know I am bundled. I usually do not call the customer service if I want an upgrade. In fact I rarely call Customer Service. I call
Technical Support. I find they are more informed with what options are available and most of the time more flexible and helpful.

Are you able to have an online account on dishnetwork.com? From the experiences I've had customers were not abot to set up an account due to being bundled.

I'm bundled with CenturyLink and I was able to register on dishnetwork.com a few months ago.

This whole upgrading with Dish is confusing. I got a mailer (18 months into a 24 month agreement), called in, got a free upgrade to a 722k and $15 for the install after signing up for the DCPP. 24 month agreement extension, of course. I've had the Top 250 since joining. Did have Setanta too until they were bought out/folded in the US.

Dish must have a bizarre algorithm as to what people have to pay for upgrades.

I did an upgrade a few weeks before HD For Life started and was upgraded for free... I had a 625 and 510 and was upgraded to 722 for the upstairs and 612 for the basement... Did not have to pay one penny... Just did a new 24mo contract and I was good to go... CC

Apparently the free 722 upgrade was before the free HD for life. I have been on the phone with multiple CSR and Loyalty reps and they will not do free upgrade. Best they said they could offer was $100 for 722k and $50 for 211k. I told the loyalty rep that it appeared new customers were more important than existing customers and he replied it appeared that way. He did offer me 3 months HBO/Showtime and claimed a new customer could not get that deal only existing customers and I should be happy with that.

I thought the reason for the upgrade denial was related to having the older 522 Duo DVR, but sounds like only one promotion at a time and I missed my chance for free upgrade.

Apparently the free 722 upgrade was before the free HD for life. I have been on the phone with multiple CSR and Loyalty reps and they will not do free upgrade. Best they said they could offer was $100 for 722k and $50 for 211k. I told the loyalty rep that it appeared new customers were more important than existing customers and he replied it appeared that way. He did offer me 3 months HBO/Showtime and claimed a new customer could not get that deal only existing customers and I should be happy with that.

I thought the reason for the upgrade denial was related to having the older 522 Duo DVR, but sounds like only one promotion at a time and I missed my chance for free upgrade.

For the most part, upgrades have generally not been free. In the past if you got lucky, or were considered and "A" customer, some people could. But it was not the law of the land. And now it's in the Constitution.

As a retailer, I will say it sucks dealing with customers that think they deserve everything for free. I know most of the CSRs do not know much and don't always do a great job but I feel bad for them sometimes. That is one of the biggest complaints, "Why do new customers get the best deals and I get screwed?" I get tired of it. I think everyone should be on the business end of things once just to see what it's like trying to make people happy. Rant over. Thanks for listening. LOL