DISH to Direct TV conversion questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Maestro

Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
My present two year old DISH installation uses a HD DVR VIP622 receiver which permits separate operation of two TV's. All signals (including the single coax from the dish antenna) go thru a junction box built into a master bedroom closet wall. One of the VIP622 output signals rides back on the existing (sat-jcn box-rcvr) coax to the junction box where it is split to feed two separate rooms.
I would not need DVR capability with Direct TV.
Is Direct TV able to provide a comparable system without requiring additional cabling? There is one telephone outlet only at the single receiver location.
What Direct TV equipment would be recommended?
How is the return of DISH equipment usually handled?

Yes, DirecTV can handle that setup. You'll need a SWM dish, which allows one line to be split. In your case the line would run to your junction box where a splitter would be installed. From there, the signal would travel directly to each TV. A receiver is required on each TV, DirecTV has no multiple TV receivers.

Yes, DirecTV can handle that setup. You'll need a SWM dish, which allows one line to be split. In your case the line would run to your junction box where a splitter would be installed. From there, the signal would travel directly to each TV. A receiver is required on each TV, DirecTV has no multiple TV receivers.
Thanks for the quick reply Joseph!

How does Direct TV send the output of one of the receivers back to the junction box to feed another TV (!0" on kitchen counter) over the same receiver feed coax as in my present installation? In other words I'd want to receive the same programming at same time on both TV's.
As I understand it each receiver (after the first one) is hit with a lease fee from Direct TV.

Directv HD receivers do not have a modulated RF output, so you would need to use an external RF modulator, which is fed by either the composite or S-video plus audio outputs. I picked up a Phillips modulator at Walmart for ~$16 and it works perfectly. You may also want to buy a second IR/RF remote control for use in the second room.

Dish will send you a bo:mad:es) for your equipment, they want you to send back your LNB and your receivers. It is pretty seamless. I did it while in contract just to escape Dish, one of the smartest things I have done. You will love DirecTV. Welcome my friend

Is this technically correct?

Directv HD receivers do not have a modulated RF output, so you would need to use an external RF modulator, which is fed by either the composite or S-video plus audio outputs. I picked up a Phillips modulator at Walmart for ~$16 and it works perfectly. You may also want to buy a second IR/RF remote control for use in the second room.

To review my potential installation :
1.)The satellite antenna LNB signal goes to a splitter feeding separate coax cables to DTV HD receiver #1 (at HDTV #1) and a second DTV receiver (#2).
2.) One output of the second Direct TV receiver (#2 ) goes to adjacent TV #2 and another output goes to a modulator (not furnished by DTV). The modulator gets T'd into the satellite signal coax feeding that DTV receiver (#2). The modulated signal then gets T'd to the coax feeding the third TV (#3), just downstream of the satellite signal splitter.

Again, none of the modulated signal on the coax lines will hurt the DTV receivers/LNB?

AFAIK you should be able to diplex the RF modulated output back onto the coax to the junction box and diplex it back out at the remote TV. Some more experienced SWM experts will want to opine on whether or not a non-agile RF signal will interfere or not.

Diplexing Sat-Modulated RF signals?

AFAIK you should be able to diplex the RF modulated output back onto the coax to the junction box and diplex it back out at the remote TV. Some more experienced SWM experts will want to opine on whether or not a non-agile RF signal will interfere or not.

Yes, I'd appreciate any SWM expert comments/advice/precautions on having both the satellite signal & the modulated RF ride on the same coax cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)