DISH to DirecTV Need Setup Recommendations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got one HR34 and 3 of the H25's and paid $99 upfront. I can see them charging you $99 for each of the DVR's, but where is the extra $141 coming from to get you up the $341? The H25's should be free, and I think they even offer 1 DVR (Not HR34) for free in their promo's.

The issue is promo only allows for 4 receivers. They are charging $99 receiver upgrade fees for the HR34 and HR24. Giving 2 H25's for free and charging $99 for the 5th receiver (H25). Tax and delivery charges make up the other $41.

If I were to not add the additional H25 now (not a must right now), what would a C31 or H25 cost me later?

Last edited:
I think that I have read that a C31 will run about $50, but I am not sure about that. Remember, it still has the $6 fee each month just like any receiver/DVR.

Question - can I share one HD receiver with 2 TVs via coax when TVs are in 2 different rooms? Trying to limit myself to only 4 receivers and can live with sharing the same receiver (I know the signal will be the same (same tuner)) with 2 different TVs in different rooms assuming an RF remote can be leveraged in the room where the receiver is not located. I don't care about sending HD signal to both TVs.

Possible?

Last edited:
Question - can I share one HD receiver with 2 TVs via coax when TVs are in 2 different rooms? Trying to limit myself to only 4 receivers and can live with sharing the same receiver (I know the signal will be the same (same tuner)) with 2 different TVs in different rooms assuming an RF remote can be leveraged in the room where the receiver is not located. I don't care about sending HD signal to both TVs.

Possible?

Yes, each output is active at one time. I use multiple TV's off most of my receivers, some using an HDMI splitter off as well.

Easiest way is to use HDMI for one and component/RCA audio for the other.

The issue is promo only allows for 4 receivers. They are charging $99 receiver upgrade fees for the HR34 and HR24. Giving 2 H25's for free and charging $99 for the 5th receiver (H25). Tax and delivery charges make up the other $41.

If I were to not add the additional H25 now (not a must right now), what would a C31 or H25 cost me later?

C31 $50 - but probably not available for a few months.
H25 $100

If you add one later keep in mind it resets the 2 year contract. Any receiver added will restart the clock with Directv.

Also, make sure you have enough swm switch capacity if you plan to add another H25. A swm 16 handles 16 tuners. A HR34 takes 5, 3 H25's take 3. Most likely they would install you with a SWM 8, which means you wouldn't be able to add one later without paying for another hardware element. May be best to pony up the $99 up front to get the right switch hardware (swm16).

Just spent an hour on phone with a supervisor at Directv. He tried to tell me that the HR34 (HMC), THE HR24, AND THE H25 do NOT talk to each other and I will not be able to access content from the HR34 tuners from an HR24 or H25 or vice versa?

Please tell me he his wrong?

Last edited:
unislick said:
Just spent an hour on phone with a supervisor at Directv. He tried to tell me that the HR34 (HMC), THE HR24, AND THE H25 do NOT talk to each other and I will not be able to access content from the HR34 tuners from an HR24 or H25 or vice versa?

Please tell me he his wrong?

You can access recordings on the HR34 on the H25, but not its tuners. I.E, you can't pause something on the HR34 and pick it back upon the H25, UNLESS, you hit the record button on the HR34 first (I.E record the program you are watching so you can access it fro. The playlist.

Made the jump today. Switching from Dish to Direct on Friday afternoon. Looking forward to coming back after 3 years with Dish.

Thanks. Can you access the HR34 recordings from the HR24 and vice versa? I believe a previous poster said yes, but Directv sales and tech support say no...I trust folks here more than Directv ( but I want to be sure I know what I am getting prior to ordering). My biggest concern with switching is not having the ability to pause and rewind live TV on ALL tvs which I currently have today with Dish as I have 3 VIP722s which means I can pause and rewind live tv on 6 tvs (3 in HD). I like the benefits of 5 tuners in the HR34 and the ability to access these recordings in any room using H25s or HR24s.

C31 $50 - but probably not available for a few months.
H25 $100

If you add one later keep in mind it resets the 2 year contract. Any receiver added will restart the clock with Directv.

Also, make sure you have enough swm switch capacity if you plan to add another H25. A swm 16 handles 16 tuners. A HR34 takes 5, 3 H25's take 3. Most likely they would install you with a SWM 8, which means you wouldn't be able to add one later without paying for another hardware element. May be best to pony up the $99 up front to get the right switch hardware (swm16).

unislick: sorry to highjack your post!

Im looking at a HR34 and 3xHD receivers, but I have a 5th room I want to add a receiver at a later date. Im worried that if they put in SWM8 then I will have to replace the switch to add the additional receiver, but selecting that 5th receiver at purchase, the only free one is a SD receiver. So if I select that they would have to go SWM16 right? But then the SD wont communicate with the HR34? So to get communication with HR34, I would have to pay $99 extra for 5th to get a HD receiver?

Do I have that right? Suggestions?

unislick: sorry to highjack your post!

Im looking at a HR34 and 3xHD receivers, but I have a 5th room I want to add a receiver at a later date. Im worried that if they put in SWM8 then I will have to replace the switch to add the additional receiver, but selecting that 5th receiver at purchase, the only free one is a SD receiver. So if I select that they would have to go SWM16 right? But then the SD wont communicate with the HR34? So to get communication with HR34, I would have to pay $99 extra for 5th to get a HD receiver?

Do I have that right? Suggestions?

Sounds right.

If I select the SD for free now, and the installer runs cable to that room to that SD where there is no current cable drops, if I buy a H25 later and hook in that SDs place, will it work with the HR34 without modification to the cables and any modification to the account or contract? Looks like I can get the H25 for $99 today or $99 at a later date (preferred).

The only change would be an extension of your contract. Your two year commitment would reset when you activated the H25.

You may also look at getting a C31 at a later date. It doesn't have it's own tuner (so you're OK with your HR34 and 3 H25s), so you won't have to replace the switch. Only downside is that the C31 "steals" a tuner from the HR34. But really, that is a very tiny downside, as it only applies when someone is actually using the C31, and you've still got four tuners on the HR34 left over. Just put it in the room least used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts