Dish to Directv questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I am a Dish customer who would like to switch to Directv, and I have a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with.

First, I called Directv yesterday, and they quoted me a price of 52.99 per month after the autopay credit and 31/month rebate. When I got my activation email, the bill was 62.99 with those credits. I called again and they said the agent misquoted me, but they'd give me $5 off for 24 months to fix the problem, but they'd have to cancel my order, place a new order, then everything would be right. So they did that, and the credit wasn't there. I called back and they said they'd have to cancel my order and try again. I told them to forget it, by that time it'd been 3 hours on the phone. Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to get one HD DVR, 3 regular HD receivers, HD service, total choice plus, and whole home DVR. IS there something I need to tell the agent to get the right deal?

Second, equipment. The HR-34 sounds cool. If they are giving me an HD DVR free, is that the HR-34?

I currently have two TVs hooked up to my dual-tuner Dish box (one with HDMI, one with components), another box, and another TV hooked up via SD from the second tuner on the main box. So I basically have 4 TVs hooked up to 2 boxes. For my setup, if I have the HR-34, do I need 4 boxes, or can the HR-34 power more than one TV in HD?

Should I go through Directv directly, or can I get a better deal going to best buy or another third party dealer?

Thanks!

First off, Total Choice Plus is a legacy package that doesn't exist for new customers anymore. If you want a package similar to that, you might have to go with choice xtra. Second, if you want an HR-34 (it's known as the HMC HD DVR), it'll cost you $99 up front (which is not a bad deal) Even if you do get the HR-34, you would still need 3 more HD boxes at least for now. Yes the HR-34 can power more than one TV, but the TV has to have RVU technology and I think there's only a few Samsung LED TVs that have that right now. Until there are more products with RVU technology available, you would have to get 3 more HD boxes at least for the short term.

I have found your best bet is to just order it online at dtv's website. I found its the best deal and least hassle. Right now you can get $31 a month credit for 1st year $16 a month credit on 2nd year and no $20 processing fees and you can use $100 referral code. Any time I called in they would only offer just the 1st year credits, $20 fee, would not accept $100 referral. and plus they did not have a clue what they were talking about. The hr34 will cost you $99 to get it but its worth every penny of it or you can get a free hddrv. I have a hr34 and (3)h25 hd receivers there is hd in everyroom now and any tv can watch anything that is recorded or live tv.

Without going into too much detail, can you give me a thumbnail on what the HR34 can do that the HR24 can't?

Hr34
Records 5 channels at once
100 series timers
can stream to (3) other boxes with different programs
1 Tb Hdd

HR receivers
50 series timers
records 2 channels at once
300-500gb hdd
not sure how many it can stream to at once probably 1-2, someone else may know this.

did you go onto directvs website and do your rebates? iirc you have to do that to make sure they take

It would be better if you used the AAA discount when placing an order . It seems to be the most bang for the buck and the rebates need to be done before the installer shows up or you will not get the discounts on your first bill and you can do that online

It would be better if you used the AAA discount when placing an order . It seems to be the most bang for the buck and the rebates need to be done before the installer shows up or you will not get the discounts on your first bill and you can do that online

do i need to sign up for a AAA membership for that? Then do i go through the AAA website to get the discount, or is there a code I put in on Directv's website?

thanks!

do i need to sign up for a AAA membership for that? Then do i go through the AAA website to get the discount, or is there a code I put in on Directv's website?

thanks!

Yeah you would need an AAA membership and you would have to call a certain phone number.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)