Dish to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvr4me

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Michigan
I am looking to make the jump from Dish to DirecTV. I see lots of people trying to get the HR24 receiver vs the HR34 receiver.

I am assuming the HR34 is the "Home Media Center HD DVR" on the DirecTV website, and the HR24 is the "HD DVR Receiver"? If so, they are both $99?

Why do I see more people trying to get a HR24?

I don't see it, so I can't answer specifically. Maybe some of what you see are customers getting defective dvrs replaced. The HR34 is always going to get you a two year commitment. Some long time customers don't want that, but for new customers it doesn't matter since they are getting a commitment anyway.

BTW, if you order the HD DVR recorder from the DirecTV website you aren't guaranteed the HR24.
The price is up to what CSR you talk with.

BTW, if you order the HD DVR recorder from the DirecTV website you aren't guaranteed the HR24.
The price is up to what CSR you talk with.

I am about to switch to D*...If I place my order on line and the website says HR-24, THAT is what the tech will have on his truck or he can just leave.

I am about to switch to D*...If I place my order on line and the website says HR-24, THAT is what the tech will have on his truck or he can just leave.

The website won't say you are getting any particular box unless you order the HMC.

I am looking to make the jump from Dish to DirecTV. I see lots of people trying to get the HR24 receiver vs the HR34 receiver.

I am assuming the HR34 is the "Home Media Center HD DVR" on the DirecTV website, and the HR24 is the "HD DVR Receiver"? If so, they are both $99?

Why do I see more people trying to get a HR24?
Yes,
The HR34 is the Home Media Center.
The Hd Dvr could be anything from a HR21 to a Hr24; 25 maybe, depending on your set up needed.

For new customers that's the price. Existing customers pay much more for an HR34, usually, and an HR24 is $199 for existing customers.

The 1st HR24 for new customers is actually free. If you order more HR24s, they would $99 each starting with the 2nd one. I agree that if you need more than one receiver, you may be better off with a 34 and a H25 for example. I don't what your setup is so I can't be more exact.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

The 1st HR24 for new customers is actually free. If you order more HR24s, they would $99 each starting with the 2nd one. I agree that if you need more than one receiver, you may be better off with a 34 and a H25 for example. I don't what your setup is so I can't be more exact.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

But probably NOT if your also getting a HR34.

I am looking for a DVR main TV and 2-3 other TV's that I want to access the DVR on. Both the HR24 and HR34 can do this, correct?

If DISH doesn't add a certain Disney channel we may look to jump in Dec 2013 when our contract is up.

I am looking for a DVR main TV and 2-3 other TV's that I want to access the DVR on. Both the HR24 and HR34 can do this, correct?

correct. but the 34 has 5 tuners the 24 has 2

each unit on the other tvs will have its own tuners for live tv, unlike a joey

Can I hook up a HD box to an SD TV? And just see 16x9 aspect ratio? I have an old TV I want to hook up but plan on replacing it with an HDTV soon. I was planning on ordering an HD box for it. It's an old TV. The only input it has is coax.

Can I hook up a HD box to an SD TV? And just see 16x9 aspect ratio? I have an old TV I want to hook up but plan on replacing it with an HDTV soon. I was planning on ordering an HD box for it. It's an old TV. The only input it has is coax.

You can do this, but there is no Coax output on D* recvrs anymore, so you would have to use a converter like we did for DVR's back in the day, unlit you got your HD TV.

If you have an old vcr you can use it to convert to coax.

If I want to add a TV later on down the road, how much of a hassle is that? Can they just ship you the HD receiver of does it involve a tech coming out?

If I want to add a TV later on down the road, how much of a hassle is that? Can they just ship you the HD receiver of does it involve a tech coming out?

Get the receivers you can now while you are new. I had an SD tv in one room but I ordered an HD receiver for it for future upgrade of the tv plus I need multi room viewing there.

Get the HR34...you will love the 5 tuners. I have a system with one HR34 and one HR24 for the DVRs and two H25s in other rooms. Love the setup. 7 tuners for recording and any tv in the house can watch whatever they want with ease. No more conflicts and someone yelling "can I skip this?". Or battles over someone skipping someone elses shows. Sometimes it made me want to throw it all out the window when I had dish. I guess you can say I did a few months ago when I found out they neutered the kangaroos before they came out.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Protection Plan Price Increase

What is Directv spanish channel lineup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts